Re: [NTO] Why is NoteTabPro "corrupted"

  • Dr. Schröder Raimund
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 18, 2001
      Hi everybody,

      I now found out what made that API-error message. I had too many documents
      open which made NoteTab break down on startup.
      I am not quite sure if the other problem with the closing to system-tray has
      the same cause. I have to figure it out during the next days.
      I did at first what you recomended me, I renamed the .ini-file and started
      NoteTab. I "enlarged/adapted" it step by step: First opened quick list, then
      close/open NoteTab, second opened a clip-library, then close/open NoteTab
      and so on. I tried that three times and always when I opened all the
      documents and then made close/open NoteTab this error message came.
      Now thats it, thank you for your help.
      Perhaps you have a hint how I can have open more documents? I can live with
      it now, but you never know.
      Thanks, Raimund.
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 18, 2001
        Hi Dr. Raimund,

        >I now found out what made that API-error message. I had too many
        >documents open which made NoteTab break down on startup.
        >I am not quite sure if the other problem with the closing to
        >system-tray has the same cause. I have to figure it out during
        >the next days.

        It would be my guess that he tray icon is also due to a low
        resource condition. It is not necessarily due to one program,
        but a combination of things.

        >I did at first what you recomended me, I renamed the .ini-file
        >and started NoteTab. I "enlarged/adapted" it step by step: First
        >opened quick list, then close/open NoteTab, second opened a clip-
        >library, then close/open NoteTab and so on. I tried that three
        >times and always when I opened all the documents and then made
        >close/open NoteTab this error message came.

        Theoretically, you can open up 2GB files and as many as you want.
        There is some point though on every computer that I have played
        with that resources get so low that all kinds of errors start
        popping up from just about all programs.

        >Perhaps you have a hint how I can have open more documents? I can
        >live with it now, but you never know.

        See my last post on how to use the least resources in NoteTab.
        Don't have a lot of other programs open or open and then closing
        them. That is especially true with MS programs since, at least
        in my experience, some of them do not release all the memory they
        use. You may want to cut back the number of programs that start
        when you startup Windows if you are configured to do so. I
        would not go out on the web where you are opening a lot of images
        then try to open a large amount files and/or big ones.

        Buying more RAM will help in loading large files and/or many
        files. NoteTab loads the files into memory. To successfully
        open a file you need double the memory. RAM + virtual memory
        (hard drive space) that can be used.

        Remember to close some files before closing NoteTab if you think
        you are getting too many for your computer. Only you can answer
        how many is too many? You might consider using Favorites to open
        directories or certain files and uncheck the feature to Reload
        Open Documents in the General tab in Options. I would not go
        wild in making a huge Favorites list though, because the
        Favorites feature can use up some memory if it is very large.

        What are the details of your computer? You might be fighting a
        loosing battle if...

      • Jan Rosenstreich
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 18, 2001
          Dr. Raimund wrote:

          >>I now found out what made that API-error message. I had too many
          >>documents open which made NoteTab break down on startup.
          >>I am not quite sure if the other problem with the closing to
          >>system-tray has the same cause. I have to figure it out during
          >>the next days.

          Some programs consume extra memory when starting up (I'm not sure about
          NoteTabPro). After starting up, these programs generally release some of
          their memory. If this is the case, limit the number of files loaded at
          start-up and load the additional files afterwards.

          Jan
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 19, 2001
            Hi Jan, Dr. Raimund, Jim, Ray, and Others,

            >>> I now found out what made that API-error message. I had too
            >>> many documents open which made NoteTab break down on startup.
            >>> I am not quite sure if the other problem with the closing to
            >>> system-tray has the same cause. I have to figure it out during
            >>> the next days.
            >
            >Some programs consume extra memory when starting up (I'm not sure
            >about NoteTabPro). After starting up, these programs generally
            >release some of their memory. If this is the case, limit the
            >number of files loaded at start-up and load the additional files
            >afterwards.

            Jan, that is true with NoteTab as well. That is why I was
            getting at using another method to open the files such as using
            Favorites allowing NoteTab to release the memory it uses to open
            itself with. That way memory will not "peg at redline" so to
            speak. If once looks at the task manager in XP, WinTop, or any
            program that measures CPU usage, you will see it also goes to
            well over 90% and normally goes t0 99% when I look at it. It
            goes back to zero with most programs, but if the program is doing
            status checks all the time you might see CPU usage bounce between
            say zero and 3%. Also,let it be known that NoteTab uses RAM to
            open files and that RAM is not freed up until the file(s) is
            closed if I remember correctly. In version 5 Eric will be using
            a different method when opening files "...that will only need
            slightly more memory than the document size to load it." (That
            also to the new program Eric is working on.)

            Eric replied to my memory and opening large files questions a few
            weeks ago:
            >>> Actually, NoteTab requires double the free memory in order to
            >>> successfully open a file. So in order to open a 130 MB file, he
            >>> would need 260 MB of free memory -- that is free RAM + virtual
            >>> memory (from the HD) is RAM isn't sufficient.

            Jody asked for clarification about a typo:

            Eric confirmed typo <g>:
            >Yes.

            Jody asked about RAM versus virtual memory (hard drive space):
            >>So, is RAM a lot faster than virtual memory as far as the access
            >>time or are they about the same? Having more memory (RAM) is
            >>better than using virtual memory, yes/no?

            Eric answered Jody's questions:
            >Virtual memory is very slow. In fact, I'm not sure if documents
            >loaded into NoteTab can even make use of virtual memory. I think
            >you can change it to double the amount of _free_ RAM (not to be
            >confused with installed RAM).

            Jody clarifies amount of RAM versus free RAM: One might have
            256MB physical RAM, but only has 95MB RAM available for use
            because the other is already used by other operations and/or
            programs not releasing RAM after it shuts down. Hello Mr. Bill. ;)

            Jim wrote:
            Only the Favorites Category file gets loaded into memory when
            NoteTab starts, and it only has 1 entry. I only open the file
            list document when I need to open a Favorite and then I close it
            when the Favorite file opens.

            Jim did some tests about the Favorites category sizes and using
            the Quick List. The way I understand it he proved that a small
            Favorite category uses less memory than one with many items in
            the list. However, that does not necessarily prove that many
            categories will or will not use up memory as Ray asked and Jim
            wondered also. I quoted Eric when I wrote:

            "Large amounts of Favorites and long lists slow down the loading
            of NoteTab and use up a fair amount of RAM."

            The way I understand what he wrote is that both many Favorite
            categories *and* long lists of categories can eat up some memory.
            The reason for that is NoteTab loads the Favorites into memory,
            not the files themselves, but all the paths to the files.
            However, I will once again bug the most busy Eric who is
            programming a new program and NoteTab v5.0. ;)

            Cya on the flip side... ;)

          • Lotta
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 7, 2002
              Hi,

              The year that past. Interesting reading.

              Google Press Center: Zeitgeist
              <http://www.google.com/press/zeitgeist.html>