Re: [NTO] Network card?

  • Bill Scott
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 12, 2001
      Hi Raenie:

      go to the following URL it has everything you need to know about
      networking .... step by step ...

      http://www.helmig.com/

      Bill and Margie Scott
      http://www.domainsnregistry.com/
    • Christopher J. & Jo-Ann J. Spilker
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 12, 2001
        This is for Raenie,

        Hello, my name is Chris and I will attempt to help you with
        this, at a somewhat "high" level overview. This process of
        networking two computers together can be a nightmare and can be a
        bit different if each computer is running a different operating
        system, such as Windows 98 versus Windows 95, WINNT, Windows ME,
        Windows 2000, Windows XP. If you are fortunate enough, both of
        your computers will be running Windows 98.

        First, to see if you have a network card, it is easiest to
        PHYSICALLY look behind your computer and see if there is a single
        jack that looks similar to a telephone modular jack and with
        perhaps some small LED lights next to it. A network card for the
        most part, has only ONE jack, called an RJ-45 jack (there are
        other types, but that is going astray ...). The clerk at Office
        Max, though helpful, should have told you that you need not only
        a network card in each computer, but a CAT 5 ** CROSSOVER **
        (emphasis on CROSSOVER) cable, 10 to 14 feet or so, should be
        less than $ 10.00. If you buy the most common CAT 5 cable
        (NON-CROSSOVER), it WILL NOT WORK!

        Now, having two network cards, properly installed and
        configured, connect the two cards together with your CROSSOVER
        CAT 5 cable. The rest is software configuration via Control
        Panel\Network\Configuration and Control
        Panel\Network\Identification. You will need a Computer Name (no
        spaces allowed, keep it short and simple), UNIQUE (different) for
        each computer and a Workgroup Name (make them the SAME on each
        computer). You will need NetBEUI installed under the
        Configuration tab (just install it from
        ..\Configuration\ADD\Protocol\Microsoft\NetBEUI, there are no
        options to select here) and File Sharing via
        ..\Configuration\File and Print Sharing). Of course, you will be
        rebooting both computers perhaps several times until all changes
        have been made.

        Once you get this done, you can access one computer from the
        other via Windows Explorer and Network Neighborhood. Drag and
        Drop (or, Copy and Paste, if you will), all the files / folders
        that you wish. Be advised you can not arbitrarily copy over
        entire programs and expect them to work. In MOST cases, programs
        will have to be INSTALLED on your new computer.

        If you have gotten this far, you deserve a big PAT on the
        back. However, if you did not, this arrangement is fraught with
        perils and errors and is way too deep to go into in this forum.
        I offer you to contact me at
        mailto:chris-jo-ann-spilker@... and I can e-mail you
        a Microsoft Word attachment that I have made up sometime ago to
        help others who wanted to do this. This set-up does work and is
        reasonably fast at transferring data. I have used it many times
        (at work and at home).

        I hope this helps you somewhat. You may get other great
        your task a success. this type of task is not for the faint of
        heart or someone using computers for perhaps the first time.

        Contact me directly at my e-mail above if you need more
        help. Good luck to you :-)

        Regards,
        Christopher J. Spilker
        mailto:chris-jo-ann-spilker@...
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 12, 2001
          Hi Mon_Iker,

          >The clerk at Office Max told me that I only need a network card
          >in each of my two computers and a "Belkin Category 5e Snagless
          >Patch Cable". Then to follow the instructions in Windows
          >networking section. Does this sound appropriate to y'all?

          I've never done it, but that is what I heard. I'm sure others
          can help you out. You might want to mention exactly what you
          want to achieve (if you know - haha). It is most likely a tad
          bit different depending on which Windows flavor you are in. You
          might start getting a bit familiar with some of the jargon and
          setup by searching Help for: network sharing, click on Configure
          a Connection and read it. In XP there is a Wizard to setup a
          connection at the bottom of that Help page. Wherever you buy
          the hardware at should be able to tell you how to install it.
          I'd guess it is plug and play stuff.

        • Mon_Iker
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 12, 2001
            Hello everyone,

            I'm trying to connect a new computer to my old one (a Gateway 1998)
            via a simple network connection.

            Could someone please tell me how to find out if my Gateway has a
            network card or not? I'm running Win98 and am looking under
            "Microsoft System Information". Unfortunately I don't know *what* I'm
            looking for, and it sounds mostly "Greek" to me :-).

            The clerk at Office Max told me that I only need a network card in
            each of my two computers and a "Belkin Category 5e Snagless Patch
            Cable". Then to follow the instructions in Windows networking
            section. Does this sound appropriate to y'all?

            tia,

            Raenie

          • Jan Rosenstreich
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 12, 2001
              On Wed, 12 Dec 2001 18:42:35 -0800, you wrote:

              >Hello everyone,
              >
              >I'm trying to connect a new computer to my old one (a Gateway 1998)
              >via a simple network connection.
              >
              > Could someone please tell me how to find out if my Gateway has a
              >network card or not? I'm running Win98 and am looking under
              >"Microsoft System Information". Unfortunately I don't know *what* I'm
              >looking for, and it sounds mostly "Greek" to me :-).

              As mentioned in this thread, the easiest way to determine if you have a
              network card is to look in the back of your computer.

              When you think about networking your computers together, it sometimes pays
              to look at your near future and longer range plans. Do you have another
              computer, possibly a laptop, that you may also want to join together? Do
              you have, or are do you plan to have broadband Internet (cable or DSL,
              etc.) where you might want to share the connection between several
              computers? Do you have several printers, you would like to share?

              If you answered yes to any of the above questions, you may want to build a
              small network using a router/hub device that can be purchased in the USA
              for around or under $100 these days. This device would allow you to
              connect several computers, printers, etc, and share a broadband
              connection. Even if you don't have the broadband connection yet, the hub
              (kind of a junction box) section will still function to connect the
              computers together. If you go this route, you want to get the Cat5
              straight cables instead of the Cat5 twisted pair cables (used for
              connecting 2 computers together).

              I presently have a small home network with 3 computers 2 printers, and a
              shared cable Internet connection. My laptop can be physically connected
              to the network through the docking station or can roam the house using a
              wireless setup. While wireless it can do all the network functions such
              as Internet, file transfers, printing, backup, etc. The computer OS's are
              Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows 98SE.

              Regardless of the way you go, for blazing speed, buy the dual speed 10/100
              network cards. The old 10 BaseT cards are slightly cheaper but are
              considerably slower than the dual speed cards.

              Jan
            • Mon_Iker
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 14, 2001
                Dear Jody,

                Why must you always be so *logical* <grin>. Reading information on a
                subject should be the first thing one does, shouldn't it? :-)

                On your advice I started looking for information on my WinMX machine
                and have found "hours worth" (maybe a decade's worth) of information.
                <heeh>

                I had also found one of my own messages at NTO where I recommended a
                home network to someone as a solution to their file sharing problem
                about a year ago. <lol> Well, I must have been reading something
                about it back then. So I started looking through my old computer
                magazines and found an article in a Smart Computing mag. about
                networking. I went to their site and found the following information;

                http://www.smartcomputing.com/editorial/category.asp?otid=0&guid=sm514
                6j0&searchqa=1&catid=14&wordlist=&searchtype=0

                thought that I'd post it here in case anyone else is interested in the
                subject.

                As always, thank you for your intput,

                Raenie

                > I've never done it, but that is what I heard. I'm sure others> can
                help you out. You might want to mention exactly what you> want to
                achieve (if you know - haha). It is most likely a tad> bit different
                depending on which Windows flavor you are in. You> might start
                getting a bit familiar with some of the jargon and> setup by searching
                Help for: network sharing, click on Configure> a Connection and read
                it.
                <snip>

              • Mon_Iker
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 14, 2001
                  Dear Jan,

                  Thank you for your response and ideas. Jody asked me to state
                  "specifically" what I wanted to do. <lol> Well, when I thought about
                  it, I really didn't know. Your response has given me some
                  alternatives to think about.

                  One does have a tendency to think about solving a problem in the here
                  and now, instead of what it may entail in the future. I think that I
                  will do a more complex network than just a direct line from one
                  computer to the other. One never knows, one of these days I could be
                  the proud owner of a notebook. <smile>

                  The other possibility would be for me to share peripherals with my
                  son's (17 years old) computer. Then again, I'm not sure *if* I want
                  to do that?! <lol>

                  ~Raenie

                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 14, 2001
                    Hi Raenie,

                    Thanks for the extra info. The rest is basically off-topic off-
                    topic, so delete if you are not interested. ;->

                    >Why must you always be so *logical* <grin>. Reading information
                    >on a subject should be the first thing one does, shouldn't it? :-)

                    Why, I don't hardly ever read stuff. I normally click till
                    something works. <g> 99.9% of the time though I do at least try
                    to search help before asking, but that takes the fun out it. ;)

                    As for the "logical" part, that has just come through wisdom over
                    the years. You see, when I was a teenager, I knew it all and
                    nobody could tell me anything. In my early 20s I seem to have
                    forgot a lot of my knowledge though,because things weren't as I
                    once believed. It took another 25 years to unlearn things just
                    to gain a tad bit of knowledge. I'm now somewhere in my mid
                    forties and realize that "man at his very best state is
                    altogether vanity." ;)

                    >I had also found one of my own messages at NTO where I
                    >recommended a home network to someone as a solution to their file
                    >sharing problem about a year ago. <lol> Well, I must have been
                    >reading something about it back then. So I started looking
                    >through my old computer magazines and found an article in a Smart
                    >Computing mag. about networking. I went to their site and found
                    >the following information;
                    >
                    >http://www.smartcomputing.com/editorial/category.asp?otid=0&guid=sm514
                    >6j0&searchqa=1&catid=14&wordlist=&searchtype=0
                    >
                    >thought that I'd post it here in case anyone else is interested
                    >in the subject.

                  • Marcus
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 14, 2001
                      On 14.12.01 at 00:11 Mon_Iker wrote:
                      >The other possibility would be for me to share peripherals with my
                      >son's (17 years old) computer. Then again, I'm not sure *if* I want
                      >to do that?! <lol>

                      Your son's 17, not the computer, right?

                      It seems you can have stereo components like amps and of course record
                      players that old, but a computer?
                      I wonder whether things will ever slow down that much with computer
                      development?

                      Marcus
                    • Ben Barnet
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 14, 2001
                        Marcus wrote:

                        > It seems you can have stereo components like amps and of course record
                        > players that old, but a computer?

                        I submit that audio technology has come a long way also. I mean, what's
                        a "record player"?

                        Ben
                      • Bill Scott
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 2, 2002
                          Hi All:
                          Does anyone know the equivilent of msconfig for windows 2000
                          professional ??

                          Bill Scott
                        • Ben Barnet
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 2, 2002
                            Bill Scott wrote:

                            > Does anyone know the equivilent of msconfig for windows 2000
                            > professional ??

                            Hi Bill,

                            Win2K does not include such a utility but it's back in XP.
                            The good news is that the file from XP works in 2K.

                            HTH
                            Ben
                          • Jim Hall
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 2, 2002
                              Ben and Bill,

                              At 08:55 AM 1/2/02 -0800, you wrote:
                              >Bill Scott wrote:
                              >
                              > > Does anyone know the equivilent of msconfig for windows 2000
                              > > professional ??
                              >
                              >Hi Bill,
                              >
                              >Win2K does not include such a utility but it's back in XP.
                              >The good news is that the file from XP works in 2K.

                              FWIW

                              So does the one from Win98.

                              Regards,

                              Jim
                            • Bill Scott
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jan 2, 2002
                                Could you attach a copy of that file and return it to
                                mailto:bscott@... ??

                                Thanks Ben