Re: [NTO] XP Pro Annoyances

  • Marcus
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 6, 2001
      On 06.12.01 at 21:14 Jody wrote:
      >Oh, the DUN connected pop up is annoying having to click it
      >closed all the time...

      There are some utilities which close pop-ups. Some were created for the
      original W95 DUN pop-up. I've not used one myself, only read about them
      a few years ago. I find it hard to believe that after taming those
      pop-ups in W98 (right?), or via a service pack, they have it back on
      XP.

      No such thing on NT, except a bubble-help type notification over the
      tray. That does grab the focus though for a second, and I'd like to
      switch that off. It will cause the start menu to close while you are
      selecting an item.

      Isn't there a book entitled Windows Annoyances?

      Marcus
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 6, 2001
        Hi Marcus,

        Opera 5 runs like a champ so far showing my images just fine.

        > > Oh, the DUN connected pop up is annoying having to click it
        > > closed all the time...
        >
        >There are some utilities which close pop-ups. Some were created
        >for the original W95 DUN pop-up. I've not used one myself, only
        >read about them a few years ago. I find it hard to believe that
        >after taming those pop-ups in W98 (right?), or via a service
        >pack, they have it back on XP.

        I never saw anything in 98 that nagged me except for file
        deletion and stupid warnings about formatting C:\ drive may cause
        problems. ;) I've used NetLaunch for maybe 4 years and always
        had everything hid except for the idiot lights in the tray. I
        cannot get it to run on XP though. It is a real pain living w/o
        it; I've grown to be dependent on it.

        >No such thing on NT, except a bubble-help type notification over
        >the tray. That does grab the focus though for a second, and I'd
        >like to switch that off. It will cause the start menu to close
        >while you are selecting an item.

        That is the culprit I'm talking about. I could live with a
        second, but it seems like 30 secs although I never timed it.

        >Isn't there a book entitled Windows Annoyances?

        I'll have to go to/find the Win95/98/2000, etc. Annoyances page
        and see if they have something out yet.

      • hpaulissen
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 7, 2001
          Jody,

          I'm not sure but do you mean Annoyances.org?

          They mention two programs to bypass the connect-to popup...

          Hugo

          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 7, 2001
            Hi Hugo,

            >I'm not sure but do you mean Annoyances.org?
            >
            >They mention two programs to bypass the connect-to popup...

            Yep, that's the place so I just need to study their new layout.
            (I searched my mail archives and the link is the same. ;) There
            is a forum I might search though also when I get the time. It
            has always puzzled me why MS does not have some type of utility
            like Tweak ui and just let us check away to get rid of all their
            little "you must do it this way" stuff.

            http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp

            > > I'll have to go to/find the Win95/98/2000, etc. Annoyances page
            > > and see if they have something out yet.

            Thanks!
            Jody

            Clean-Funnies: click and send...