Re: [NTO] XP Pro Annoyances

    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 6, 2001
      Hi Jim,

      Rain, rain, go away and come again some other day. ;)

      I can live with the extra account - no problem. My biggest
      concern is the images though. Almost all background images look
      like they are stretched out way, way too far like 500 pixels for
      a 100 pixel pic. Some of my own files work fine, but others do
      not. The height/width is correct. I'll try to get another
      browser installed so I can at least see if it is IE. The setting
      Lotta mentioned makes no difference.

      Oh, the DUN connected pop up is annoying having to click it
      closed all the time. Sure wish I could get my NetLaunch working.
      I tried the settings to use it for Win 3.1 and Win95, but no
      help. Guess I should check out the site, but I think I did that
      already.

      > >Thanks Jim. Been there, done that - but no help. My account is
      > >the administrator's account. I can add another account and make
      > >admin to delete it according to Help, but then I'm back in the
      > >same place. ;(
      >
      >Sorry, that one is there to stay on Win2K and XP.
      >
      >That is the Boss Hog and he don't go away.

    • Marcus
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 6, 2001
        On 06.12.01 at 21:14 Jody wrote:
        >Oh, the DUN connected pop up is annoying having to click it
        >closed all the time...

        There are some utilities which close pop-ups. Some were created for the
        original W95 DUN pop-up. I've not used one myself, only read about them
        a few years ago. I find it hard to believe that after taming those
        pop-ups in W98 (right?), or via a service pack, they have it back on
        XP.

        No such thing on NT, except a bubble-help type notification over the
        tray. That does grab the focus though for a second, and I'd like to
        switch that off. It will cause the start menu to close while you are
        selecting an item.

        Isn't there a book entitled Windows Annoyances?

        Marcus
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 6, 2001
          Hi Marcus,

          Opera 5 runs like a champ so far showing my images just fine.

          > > Oh, the DUN connected pop up is annoying having to click it
          > > closed all the time...
          >
          >There are some utilities which close pop-ups. Some were created
          >for the original W95 DUN pop-up. I've not used one myself, only
          >read about them a few years ago. I find it hard to believe that
          >after taming those pop-ups in W98 (right?), or via a service
          >pack, they have it back on XP.

          I never saw anything in 98 that nagged me except for file
          deletion and stupid warnings about formatting C:\ drive may cause
          problems. ;) I've used NetLaunch for maybe 4 years and always
          had everything hid except for the idiot lights in the tray. I
          cannot get it to run on XP though. It is a real pain living w/o
          it; I've grown to be dependent on it.

          >No such thing on NT, except a bubble-help type notification over
          >the tray. That does grab the focus though for a second, and I'd
          >like to switch that off. It will cause the start menu to close
          >while you are selecting an item.

          That is the culprit I'm talking about. I could live with a
          second, but it seems like 30 secs although I never timed it.

          >Isn't there a book entitled Windows Annoyances?

          I'll have to go to/find the Win95/98/2000, etc. Annoyances page
          and see if they have something out yet.

        • hpaulissen
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 7, 2001
            Jody,

            I'm not sure but do you mean Annoyances.org?

            They mention two programs to bypass the connect-to popup...

            Hugo

            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 7, 2001
              Hi Hugo,

              >I'm not sure but do you mean Annoyances.org?
              >
              >They mention two programs to bypass the connect-to popup...

              Yep, that's the place so I just need to study their new layout.
              (I searched my mail archives and the link is the same. ;) There
              is a forum I might search though also when I get the time. It
              has always puzzled me why MS does not have some type of utility
              like Tweak ui and just let us check away to get rid of all their
              little "you must do it this way" stuff.

              http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp

              > > I'll have to go to/find the Win95/98/2000, etc. Annoyances page
              > > and see if they have something out yet.

              Thanks!
              Jody

              Clean-Funnies: click and send...