Re: [NTO] XP Pro Annoyances

  • Jim Hall
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 6, 2001
      At 10:34 AM 12/5/01 -0600, you wrote:
      >Hi Jim,
      >
      >Thanks Jim. Been there, done that - but no help. My account is
      >the administrator's account. I can add another account and make
      >admin to delete it according to Help, but then I'm back in the
      >same place. ;(

      Sorry, that one is there to stay on Win2K and XP.

      That is the Boss Hog and he don't go away.

      Jim
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 6, 2001
        Hi Jim,

        Rain, rain, go away and come again some other day. ;)

        I can live with the extra account - no problem. My biggest
        concern is the images though. Almost all background images look
        like they are stretched out way, way too far like 500 pixels for
        a 100 pixel pic. Some of my own files work fine, but others do
        not. The height/width is correct. I'll try to get another
        browser installed so I can at least see if it is IE. The setting
        Lotta mentioned makes no difference.

        Oh, the DUN connected pop up is annoying having to click it
        closed all the time. Sure wish I could get my NetLaunch working.
        I tried the settings to use it for Win 3.1 and Win95, but no
        help. Guess I should check out the site, but I think I did that
        already.

        > >Thanks Jim. Been there, done that - but no help. My account is
        > >the administrator's account. I can add another account and make
        > >admin to delete it according to Help, but then I'm back in the
        > >same place. ;(
        >
        >Sorry, that one is there to stay on Win2K and XP.
        >
        >That is the Boss Hog and he don't go away.

      • Marcus
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 6, 2001
          On 06.12.01 at 21:14 Jody wrote:
          >Oh, the DUN connected pop up is annoying having to click it
          >closed all the time...

          There are some utilities which close pop-ups. Some were created for the
          original W95 DUN pop-up. I've not used one myself, only read about them
          a few years ago. I find it hard to believe that after taming those
          pop-ups in W98 (right?), or via a service pack, they have it back on
          XP.

          No such thing on NT, except a bubble-help type notification over the
          tray. That does grab the focus though for a second, and I'd like to
          switch that off. It will cause the start menu to close while you are
          selecting an item.

          Isn't there a book entitled Windows Annoyances?

          Marcus
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 6, 2001
            Hi Marcus,

            Opera 5 runs like a champ so far showing my images just fine.

            > > Oh, the DUN connected pop up is annoying having to click it
            > > closed all the time...
            >
            >There are some utilities which close pop-ups. Some were created
            >for the original W95 DUN pop-up. I've not used one myself, only
            >read about them a few years ago. I find it hard to believe that
            >after taming those pop-ups in W98 (right?), or via a service
            >pack, they have it back on XP.

            I never saw anything in 98 that nagged me except for file
            deletion and stupid warnings about formatting C:\ drive may cause
            problems. ;) I've used NetLaunch for maybe 4 years and always
            had everything hid except for the idiot lights in the tray. I
            cannot get it to run on XP though. It is a real pain living w/o
            it; I've grown to be dependent on it.

            >No such thing on NT, except a bubble-help type notification over
            >the tray. That does grab the focus though for a second, and I'd
            >like to switch that off. It will cause the start menu to close
            >while you are selecting an item.

            That is the culprit I'm talking about. I could live with a
            second, but it seems like 30 secs although I never timed it.

            >Isn't there a book entitled Windows Annoyances?

            I'll have to go to/find the Win95/98/2000, etc. Annoyances page
            and see if they have something out yet.

          • hpaulissen
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 7, 2001
              Jody,

              I'm not sure but do you mean Annoyances.org?

              They mention two programs to bypass the connect-to popup...

              Hugo

              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 7, 2001
                Hi Hugo,

                >I'm not sure but do you mean Annoyances.org?
                >
                >They mention two programs to bypass the connect-to popup...

                Yep, that's the place so I just need to study their new layout.
                (I searched my mail archives and the link is the same. ;) There
                is a forum I might search though also when I get the time. It
                has always puzzled me why MS does not have some type of utility
                like Tweak ui and just let us check away to get rid of all their
                little "you must do it this way" stuff.

                http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp

                > > I'll have to go to/find the Win95/98/2000, etc. Annoyances page
                > > and see if they have something out yet.

                Thanks!
                Jody

                Clean-Funnies: click and send...