Re: [NTB] Re: Can't get NoteTab Directions

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 6, 2001
      Hi Dwight,

      Thanks Brian and others for your help so far. I copied the
      Off-Topic list. ;)

      >The File Associations worked out exactly as you said they should.
      >I will NOT reinstall Windows 98 as per your suggestion.

      If you get a window saying that the file type is not associated
      (can't find program) then browse till you get to
      C:\WINDOWS\winhelp.exe double click on it, and then click on OK.

      If the window does not come up similar to the above, go to
      Windows Explorer and click on View | Folder Options | File Types
      and scroll down the list till you get to HLP. Click on Edit and
      browse to C:\WINDOWS\winhelp.exe and double click, click Apply if
      it is highlighted, then OK. I do not have my 98 machine turned
      on so the above Apply and OK, (positive choice) might not be
      exactly right.
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 6, 2001
        Hi Dwight,

        You should be able to do the following to get it working. Please
        post back to the Off-Topic list if you need to post to a list. See
        my sigline.

        > > If you get a window saying that the file type is not associated
        > > (can't find program) then browse till you get to
        > > C:\WINDOWS\winhelp.exe double click on it, and then click on OK.
        >
        >You lost me here. Where do I get a window (as stated above)?

        Double click on any .hlp file. If there is no association or a
        messed up one, you should get a window pop up saying that Windows
        needs to know what program you want to open the HLP file because
        Windows does not know what program to use to open it. If the
        window pops up, add C:\WINDOWS\WinHlp32.exe (or winhelp.exe it
        appears) to the first field or use the Add button to browse to
        it. You should now see the path in the first window. Check the
        box to always use that program and then OK.

        If the window does not pop up, go to Windows Explorer | View |
        File Types | and scroll till you see Help File and click on it.
        Click on Edit, then Open, then Edit, and Browse to
        C:\WINDOWS\winhlp32.exe. Make sure DDE is not checked. Click on
        OK, Apply, Close. Try any .hlp file and it should work, then try
        it in NoteTab.

        If it does not work at that point, go back to Folder Options and
        Remove the Help File setting. Tell Windows to get lost when it
        barks at you. OK, Apply, etc. out and click on a .hlp file. You
        will be asked at that time to choose a program to open the file
        type with. Go back to the top of this now and follow it on out.