Re: .DOC to .PDF

  • hpaulissen
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 6, 2001
      > Is there any freeware to convert from MS Word doc files to pdf
      format?

      > Thanks for the info,
      >
      > Ray Shapp
      > Watchung, NJ

      Hello Ray,

      1. If you need to do it occasionally you can do it online (5 tries
      before you have to pay) at

      https://createpdf.adobe.com

      Have used it before and it really is good.

      2. If you know what you're doing (and have the patience checking it
      all out) you could test GhostScript / GSview . But you have to create
      a Postscript version of your .doc first (just print to file, and use
      a PS printerdriver - the resulting .PRN file is postscript).

      http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/gsview/

      I think you need RedMon as well (from the on-line documentation: PDF
      writer : PostScript written to a RedMon port can be converted to a
      PDF file using Ghostscript.)... It could well be that there is a
      standard option in Ghostscript to convert Postscript/PRN to PDF as
      well, didn't check it out.

      Have tried this option as well but I was not very much impressed
      because there is a discrepancy between the fonts Word uses and
      Postscript uses - if you do not care about the exact output or if you
      happen to own a lot of PS fonts, it is likely that this will not be
      an issue for you. Anyway, I found it cumbersome.

      Regards,

      Hugo
    • Carl Swann
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 6, 2001
        --- Ray Shapp <rayshapp@...> wrote:
        > To All,
        >
        > My Question:
        >
        > Is there any freeware to convert from MS Word doc
        > files to pdf format?

        Hi Ray... I use PDF Factory, the trial version
        (unlimited time use); it creates perfect PDFs of any
        document, regardless of the program that made it
        (Word, etc). The only drawback, if it matters, is that
        each page created with the trial version has a product
        tag line at the bottom "PDF created with ...[ name of
        the product and its home page URL]".

        If that's not a problem for your purposes, this is a
        great utility.

        You can see an example of such a tagged page at my
        church's website where I converted the newsletter to
        PDF using this utility:
        http://www.saint-pauls.org/200112Newsletter.pdf

        Not one negative comment from the congregation, and
        many compliments on the quality of the repro...

        Hope this helps... Carl

        http://greetings.yahoo.com
      • Adrian/ Rosemary Worsfold
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 6, 2001
          I use HTMLDoc 1.8.11 to generate a .PDF file which does a rough job but better than nothing. It
          is free.

          Adrian Worsfold

          http://www.pluralist.co.uk
        • Bruce Wright
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 6, 2001
            Hi All,

            To create FREE PDFs (without a tag lines as Carl described) I use
            Ghostscript together with GSview (GSview is the user friendly "front end" to
            Ghostscript).

            Once you've installed Ghostscript/GSview there are two steps to create a
            PDF. First, create a postscript file. Second, convert the postscript file to
            a PDF using Ghostscript/GSview.

            I've put together a small PDF (30k) that explains the process. If you'd like
            a copy then reply to my private e-mail address (wright.b@...) and
            I'll pass it on.

            Cheers
            Bruce

            Brian G. mentioned Gymnast for converting text files to pdf format on the
            HTML
            forum.

            My Question:

            Is there any freeware to convert from MS Word doc files to pdf format?

            Thanks for the info,

            Ray Shapp
            Watchung, NJ

            confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient,
            please delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed in this
            message are those of the individual sender, and are not
            necessarily the views of the Department of Local Government,
            unless otherwise stated.

            For the purposes of the Copyright Act, the permission of the
            holder of copyright in this communication may be taken to have
            been granted, unless stated otherwise, for the copying or
            forwarding of this message, as long as both the content of this
            communication and the purposes for which it is copied or
            forwarded are work-related.