.DOC to .PDF

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 5, 2001
      To All,

      Brian G. mentioned Gymnast for converting text files to pdf format on the
      HTML
      forum.

      My Question:

      Is there any freeware to convert from MS Word doc files to pdf format?

      Thanks for the info,

      Ray Shapp
      Watchung, NJ
    • hpaulissen
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 6, 2001
        > Is there any freeware to convert from MS Word doc files to pdf
        format?

        > Thanks for the info,
        >
        > Ray Shapp
        > Watchung, NJ

        Hello Ray,

        1. If you need to do it occasionally you can do it online (5 tries
        before you have to pay) at

        https://createpdf.adobe.com

        Have used it before and it really is good.

        2. If you know what you're doing (and have the patience checking it
        all out) you could test GhostScript / GSview . But you have to create
        a Postscript version of your .doc first (just print to file, and use
        a PS printerdriver - the resulting .PRN file is postscript).

        http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/gsview/

        I think you need RedMon as well (from the on-line documentation: PDF
        writer : PostScript written to a RedMon port can be converted to a
        PDF file using Ghostscript.)... It could well be that there is a
        standard option in Ghostscript to convert Postscript/PRN to PDF as
        well, didn't check it out.

        Have tried this option as well but I was not very much impressed
        because there is a discrepancy between the fonts Word uses and
        Postscript uses - if you do not care about the exact output or if you
        happen to own a lot of PS fonts, it is likely that this will not be
        an issue for you. Anyway, I found it cumbersome.

        Regards,

        Hugo
      • Carl Swann
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 6, 2001
          --- Ray Shapp <rayshapp@...> wrote:
          > To All,
          >
          > My Question:
          >
          > Is there any freeware to convert from MS Word doc
          > files to pdf format?

          Hi Ray... I use PDF Factory, the trial version
          (unlimited time use); it creates perfect PDFs of any
          document, regardless of the program that made it
          (Word, etc). The only drawback, if it matters, is that
          each page created with the trial version has a product
          tag line at the bottom "PDF created with ...[ name of
          the product and its home page URL]".

          If that's not a problem for your purposes, this is a
          great utility.

          You can see an example of such a tagged page at my
          church's website where I converted the newsletter to
          PDF using this utility:
          http://www.saint-pauls.org/200112Newsletter.pdf

          Not one negative comment from the congregation, and
          many compliments on the quality of the repro...

          Hope this helps... Carl

          http://greetings.yahoo.com
        • Adrian/ Rosemary Worsfold
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 6, 2001
            I use HTMLDoc 1.8.11 to generate a .PDF file which does a rough job but better than nothing. It
            is free.

            Adrian Worsfold

            http://www.pluralist.co.uk
          • Bruce Wright
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 6, 2001
              Hi All,

              To create FREE PDFs (without a tag lines as Carl described) I use
              Ghostscript together with GSview (GSview is the user friendly "front end" to
              Ghostscript).

              Once you've installed Ghostscript/GSview there are two steps to create a
              PDF. First, create a postscript file. Second, convert the postscript file to
              a PDF using Ghostscript/GSview.

              I've put together a small PDF (30k) that explains the process. If you'd like
              a copy then reply to my private e-mail address (wright.b@...) and
              I'll pass it on.

              Cheers
              Bruce

              Brian G. mentioned Gymnast for converting text files to pdf format on the
              HTML
              forum.

              My Question:

              Is there any freeware to convert from MS Word doc files to pdf format?

              Thanks for the info,

              Ray Shapp
              Watchung, NJ

              confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient,
              please delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed in this
              message are those of the individual sender, and are not
              necessarily the views of the Department of Local Government,
              unless otherwise stated.

              For the purposes of the Copyright Act, the permission of the
              holder of copyright in this communication may be taken to have
              been granted, unless stated otherwise, for the copying or
              forwarding of this message, as long as both the content of this
              communication and the purposes for which it is copied or
              forwarded are work-related.