Re: [NTO] Multiple Users in Win9X

  • Jim Hall
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 4, 2001
      Jody,

      At 01:11 AM 12/4/01 -0600, you wrote:
      >Hi Jim,
      >
      >Say, I accidently made a user in my XP Pro and wish to purposely
      >remove it. Do I need to do anything special just delete that bad
      >boy? (Too lazy, busy, tired, who cares to find out for myself by
      >just deleting it. <g>)

      Just go to the control panel and select USERS AND PASSWORDS (I think - I'm
      on a 98 system right now and can't look-see) and REMOVE the unwanted user.

      Regards,

      Jim
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 5, 2001
        Hi Jim,

        Thanks Jim. Been there, done that - but no help. My account is
        the administrator's account. I can add another account and make
        admin to delete it according to Help, but then I'm back in the
        same place. ;(

        Say, y'all know about the Win... annoyance site, (if not, go
        there). Does anybody have the URL and/or do they have pages up
        for XP yet?

        I sure would like to know how to get rid of the connection notice
        that pops up above the System Tray (pointing to the tray icon for
        DUN) every time I connect letting me know I got connected.

        > > Say, I accidently made a user in my XP Pro and wish to
        > > purposely remove it. Do I need to do anything special just
        > > delete that bad boy? (Too lazy, busy, tired, who cares to find
        > > out for myself by just deleting it. <g>)
        >
        >Just go to the control panel and select USERS AND PASSWORDS (I
        >think - I'm on a 98 system right now and can't look-see) and
        >REMOVE the unwanted user.

      • Lotta
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 5, 2001
          Hi!

          I'm wondering if anyone has an older version of the QuickTime setup file
          and would like to share? I've got the latest I think, 5.02, and it's
          crashing IE. They don't seem to have older versions at the site.

          Thanks in advance,
          Lotta
        • Jim Hall
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 6, 2001
            At 10:34 AM 12/5/01 -0600, you wrote:
            >Hi Jim,
            >
            >Thanks Jim. Been there, done that - but no help. My account is
            >the administrator's account. I can add another account and make
            >admin to delete it according to Help, but then I'm back in the
            >same place. ;(

            Sorry, that one is there to stay on Win2K and XP.

            That is the Boss Hog and he don't go away.

            Jim
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 6, 2001
              Hi Jim,

              Rain, rain, go away and come again some other day. ;)

              I can live with the extra account - no problem. My biggest
              concern is the images though. Almost all background images look
              like they are stretched out way, way too far like 500 pixels for
              a 100 pixel pic. Some of my own files work fine, but others do
              not. The height/width is correct. I'll try to get another
              browser installed so I can at least see if it is IE. The setting
              Lotta mentioned makes no difference.

              Oh, the DUN connected pop up is annoying having to click it
              closed all the time. Sure wish I could get my NetLaunch working.
              I tried the settings to use it for Win 3.1 and Win95, but no
              help. Guess I should check out the site, but I think I did that
              already.

              > >Thanks Jim. Been there, done that - but no help. My account is
              > >the administrator's account. I can add another account and make
              > >admin to delete it according to Help, but then I'm back in the
              > >same place. ;(
              >
              >Sorry, that one is there to stay on Win2K and XP.
              >
              >That is the Boss Hog and he don't go away.

            • Marcus
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 6, 2001
                On 06.12.01 at 21:14 Jody wrote:
                >Oh, the DUN connected pop up is annoying having to click it
                >closed all the time...

                There are some utilities which close pop-ups. Some were created for the
                original W95 DUN pop-up. I've not used one myself, only read about them
                a few years ago. I find it hard to believe that after taming those
                pop-ups in W98 (right?), or via a service pack, they have it back on
                XP.

                No such thing on NT, except a bubble-help type notification over the
                tray. That does grab the focus though for a second, and I'd like to
                switch that off. It will cause the start menu to close while you are
                selecting an item.

                Isn't there a book entitled Windows Annoyances?

                Marcus
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 6, 2001
                  Hi Marcus,

                  Opera 5 runs like a champ so far showing my images just fine.

                  > > Oh, the DUN connected pop up is annoying having to click it
                  > > closed all the time...
                  >
                  >There are some utilities which close pop-ups. Some were created
                  >for the original W95 DUN pop-up. I've not used one myself, only
                  >read about them a few years ago. I find it hard to believe that
                  >after taming those pop-ups in W98 (right?), or via a service
                  >pack, they have it back on XP.

                  I never saw anything in 98 that nagged me except for file
                  deletion and stupid warnings about formatting C:\ drive may cause
                  problems. ;) I've used NetLaunch for maybe 4 years and always
                  had everything hid except for the idiot lights in the tray. I
                  cannot get it to run on XP though. It is a real pain living w/o
                  it; I've grown to be dependent on it.

                  >No such thing on NT, except a bubble-help type notification over
                  >the tray. That does grab the focus though for a second, and I'd
                  >like to switch that off. It will cause the start menu to close
                  >while you are selecting an item.

                  That is the culprit I'm talking about. I could live with a
                  second, but it seems like 30 secs although I never timed it.

                  >Isn't there a book entitled Windows Annoyances?

                  I'll have to go to/find the Win95/98/2000, etc. Annoyances page
                  and see if they have something out yet.

                • hpaulissen
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 7, 2001
                    Jody,

                    I'm not sure but do you mean Annoyances.org?

                    They mention two programs to bypass the connect-to popup...

                    Hugo

                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 7, 2001
                      Hi Hugo,

                      >I'm not sure but do you mean Annoyances.org?
                      >
                      >They mention two programs to bypass the connect-to popup...

                      Yep, that's the place so I just need to study their new layout.
                      (I searched my mail archives and the link is the same. ;) There
                      is a forum I might search though also when I get the time. It
                      has always puzzled me why MS does not have some type of utility
                      like Tweak ui and just let us check away to get rid of all their
                      little "you must do it this way" stuff.

                      http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp

                      > > I'll have to go to/find the Win95/98/2000, etc. Annoyances page
                      > > and see if they have something out yet.

                      Thanks!
                      Jody

                      Clean-Funnies: click and send...