Multiple Users in Win9X

  • Jim Hall
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 30, 2001
      Larry et al,

      At 11:51 PM 11/30/01 -0500, you wrote:
      >I do like that I can lock them out of the areas of the system that in
      >Win9x they
      >often messed things up. I really like that my oldest can choose all the
      >ugliest color combinations, and it does not affect my desktop settings.

      FWIW

      In Win98 you can set up different password protected user profiles for
      other users which gives them their own desktop and accesses.

      It isn't quite the same as Win2K and XP but it keeps the kids from messing
      up your desktop and favorites etc.:-)

      Go to MY COMPUTER>CONTROL PANEL>USERS to set up a new user profile.

      The profiles (if you have more than one user) will be in C:\WINDOWS\Profiles.

      The settings in C:\WINDOWS\All Users apply first, then those in the user
      profile.

      Just for anyone interested.

      Regards,

      Jim
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 3, 2001
        Hi Jim,

        Say, I accidently made a user in my XP Pro and wish to purposely
        remove it. Do I need to do anything special just delete that bad
        boy? (Too lazy, busy, tired, who cares to find out for myself by
        just deleting it. <g>)

        >FWIW
        >
        >In Win98 you can set up different password protected user profiles for
        >other users which gives them their own desktop and accesses.

        Thanks!
        Jody

        Clean-Funnies: click and send...
        mailto:c-f@...?subject=Subscribe
      • Jim Hall
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 4, 2001
          Jody,

          At 01:11 AM 12/4/01 -0600, you wrote:
          >Hi Jim,
          >
          >Say, I accidently made a user in my XP Pro and wish to purposely
          >remove it. Do I need to do anything special just delete that bad
          >boy? (Too lazy, busy, tired, who cares to find out for myself by
          >just deleting it. <g>)

          Just go to the control panel and select USERS AND PASSWORDS (I think - I'm
          on a 98 system right now and can't look-see) and REMOVE the unwanted user.

          Regards,

          Jim
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 5, 2001
            Hi Jim,

            Thanks Jim. Been there, done that - but no help. My account is
            the administrator's account. I can add another account and make
            admin to delete it according to Help, but then I'm back in the
            same place. ;(

            Say, y'all know about the Win... annoyance site, (if not, go
            there). Does anybody have the URL and/or do they have pages up
            for XP yet?

            I sure would like to know how to get rid of the connection notice
            that pops up above the System Tray (pointing to the tray icon for
            DUN) every time I connect letting me know I got connected.

            > > Say, I accidently made a user in my XP Pro and wish to
            > > purposely remove it. Do I need to do anything special just
            > > delete that bad boy? (Too lazy, busy, tired, who cares to find
            > > out for myself by just deleting it. <g>)
            >
            >Just go to the control panel and select USERS AND PASSWORDS (I
            >think - I'm on a 98 system right now and can't look-see) and
            >REMOVE the unwanted user.

          • Lotta
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 5, 2001
              Hi!

              I'm wondering if anyone has an older version of the QuickTime setup file
              and would like to share? I've got the latest I think, 5.02, and it's
              crashing IE. They don't seem to have older versions at the site.

              Thanks in advance,
              Lotta
            • Jim Hall
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 6, 2001
                At 10:34 AM 12/5/01 -0600, you wrote:
                >Hi Jim,
                >
                >Thanks Jim. Been there, done that - but no help. My account is
                >the administrator's account. I can add another account and make
                >admin to delete it according to Help, but then I'm back in the
                >same place. ;(

                Sorry, that one is there to stay on Win2K and XP.

                That is the Boss Hog and he don't go away.

                Jim
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 6, 2001
                  Hi Jim,

                  Rain, rain, go away and come again some other day. ;)

                  I can live with the extra account - no problem. My biggest
                  concern is the images though. Almost all background images look
                  like they are stretched out way, way too far like 500 pixels for
                  a 100 pixel pic. Some of my own files work fine, but others do
                  not. The height/width is correct. I'll try to get another
                  browser installed so I can at least see if it is IE. The setting
                  Lotta mentioned makes no difference.

                  Oh, the DUN connected pop up is annoying having to click it
                  closed all the time. Sure wish I could get my NetLaunch working.
                  I tried the settings to use it for Win 3.1 and Win95, but no
                  help. Guess I should check out the site, but I think I did that
                  already.

                  > >Thanks Jim. Been there, done that - but no help. My account is
                  > >the administrator's account. I can add another account and make
                  > >admin to delete it according to Help, but then I'm back in the
                  > >same place. ;(
                  >
                  >Sorry, that one is there to stay on Win2K and XP.
                  >
                  >That is the Boss Hog and he don't go away.

                • Marcus
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 6, 2001
                    On 06.12.01 at 21:14 Jody wrote:
                    >Oh, the DUN connected pop up is annoying having to click it
                    >closed all the time...

                    There are some utilities which close pop-ups. Some were created for the
                    original W95 DUN pop-up. I've not used one myself, only read about them
                    a few years ago. I find it hard to believe that after taming those
                    pop-ups in W98 (right?), or via a service pack, they have it back on
                    XP.

                    No such thing on NT, except a bubble-help type notification over the
                    tray. That does grab the focus though for a second, and I'd like to
                    switch that off. It will cause the start menu to close while you are
                    selecting an item.

                    Isn't there a book entitled Windows Annoyances?

                    Marcus
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 6, 2001
                      Hi Marcus,

                      Opera 5 runs like a champ so far showing my images just fine.

                      > > Oh, the DUN connected pop up is annoying having to click it
                      > > closed all the time...
                      >
                      >There are some utilities which close pop-ups. Some were created
                      >for the original W95 DUN pop-up. I've not used one myself, only
                      >read about them a few years ago. I find it hard to believe that
                      >after taming those pop-ups in W98 (right?), or via a service
                      >pack, they have it back on XP.

                      I never saw anything in 98 that nagged me except for file
                      deletion and stupid warnings about formatting C:\ drive may cause
                      problems. ;) I've used NetLaunch for maybe 4 years and always
                      had everything hid except for the idiot lights in the tray. I
                      cannot get it to run on XP though. It is a real pain living w/o
                      it; I've grown to be dependent on it.

                      >No such thing on NT, except a bubble-help type notification over
                      >the tray. That does grab the focus though for a second, and I'd
                      >like to switch that off. It will cause the start menu to close
                      >while you are selecting an item.

                      That is the culprit I'm talking about. I could live with a
                      second, but it seems like 30 secs although I never timed it.

                      >Isn't there a book entitled Windows Annoyances?

                      I'll have to go to/find the Win95/98/2000, etc. Annoyances page
                      and see if they have something out yet.

                    • hpaulissen
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 7, 2001
                        Jody,

                        I'm not sure but do you mean Annoyances.org?

                        They mention two programs to bypass the connect-to popup...

                        Hugo

                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 7, 2001
                          Hi Hugo,

                          >I'm not sure but do you mean Annoyances.org?
                          >
                          >They mention two programs to bypass the connect-to popup...

                          Yep, that's the place so I just need to study their new layout.
                          (I searched my mail archives and the link is the same. ;) There
                          is a forum I might search though also when I get the time. It
                          has always puzzled me why MS does not have some type of utility
                          like Tweak ui and just let us check away to get rid of all their
                          little "you must do it this way" stuff.

                          http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp