Re: [NTO] XP answer to running out of resources?

  • Scott Fordin
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 30, 2001
      Windows 2000 Pro also solves the resource limitations of previous
      versions of Windows -- it was, in fact, one of the main reasons I
      switched from Windows 98. What a concept... I can actually use all
      of the RAM in my machine!

      You do *not* need XP to solve your resource issues. Windows 2000
      does it just as well (same basic OS core).

      Yes, there are many hardware devices and applications that are not
      compatible with XP. There are some that are not compatible with
      Win2K also, but XP is particularly nasty about older hardware. XP
      also, according to numerous benchmarks, is a major league resource
      hog, and runs considerably slower than Win2K -- and gets even
      slower as system loads increase. This is all widely documented.

      <flamesuit>Add to this the general nastiness of Microsoft's
      intentions and marketing strategies with XP, the XP security
      issues -- a number of corporations and several branches of the
      U.S. military have *banned* it -- and recommendations from industry
      luminaries like Brian Livingston (author of Windows 2000 Secrets,
      Windows 98 Secrets, Windows 95 Secrets, etc.) to *avoid* XP, my
      recommendation, FWIW, is that you go with Win2K. Livingston, BTW,
      after writing all those books in the Windows Secrets series --
      has actually refused to contribute to a Windows XP Secrets book.
      XP is evil; avoid it.</flamesuit>

      Scott

      Jonathan Woodbridge wrote:

      > I'm thinking of upgrading to WinXP because I have heard that it doesn't have
      > the limited resources that previous versions of Windows suffer from. I have
      > to reboot about once a day (sometimes more often) because I run out of
      > resources, not of RAM.
      >
      > Is it true?
      >
      > And b) are there many applications that aren't compatible with XP and would
      > need upgrading??
      >
      > thanx,
      >
      > Jonathan

    • Larry Hamilton
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 30, 2001
        I have WinXP home preinstalled on my new PC. The one thing I have found, is
        that while many old programs are compatible, they only run with the admin
        login, or there is a right-click option to Run as. I do not like that I have
        to use my admin account so my kids can use some of their older games. I do
        like that I can lock them out of the areas of the system that in Win9x they
        often messed things up. I really like that my oldest can choose all the
        ugliest color combinations, and it does not affect my desktop settings.

        XP Home does not have some of the power of either XP Pro or Win2k Pro, but I
        would choose it over any Win9x/ME.

        I use Win2k Pro at work and I like it. I have not had the time to delve into
        the depths of either to know of any major reason one to choose one over the
        other. I do like that with both, re-booting is a thing of the past. The only
        time I have to re-boot it with some software installs or with some OS or IE
        patches.

        There have been a very few times I have managed to lock them up, but that
        was with running lots of resource hog software at the same time, any one of
        which would be a real load on Win9x.

        I think either would suit your needs.

        Larry Hamilton
        > I'm thinking of upgrading to WinXP because I have heard that it doesn't
        have
        > the limited resources that previous versions of Windows suffer from. I
        have
        > to reboot about once a day (sometimes more often) because I run out of
        > resources, not of RAM.
        >
        > Is it true?
        >
        > And b) are there many applications that aren't compatible with XP and
        would
        > need upgrading??
        >
        > thanx,
        >
        > Jonathan

      • Jim Hall
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 30, 2001
          Larry et al,

          At 11:51 PM 11/30/01 -0500, you wrote:
          >I do like that I can lock them out of the areas of the system that in
          >Win9x they
          >often messed things up. I really like that my oldest can choose all the
          >ugliest color combinations, and it does not affect my desktop settings.

          FWIW

          In Win98 you can set up different password protected user profiles for
          other users which gives them their own desktop and accesses.

          It isn't quite the same as Win2K and XP but it keeps the kids from messing
          up your desktop and favorites etc.:-)

          Go to MY COMPUTER>CONTROL PANEL>USERS to set up a new user profile.

          The profiles (if you have more than one user) will be in C:\WINDOWS\Profiles.

          The settings in C:\WINDOWS\All Users apply first, then those in the user
          profile.

          Just for anyone interested.

          Regards,

          Jim
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 3, 2001
            Hi Jim,

            Say, I accidently made a user in my XP Pro and wish to purposely
            remove it. Do I need to do anything special just delete that bad
            boy? (Too lazy, busy, tired, who cares to find out for myself by
            just deleting it. <g>)

            >FWIW
            >
            >In Win98 you can set up different password protected user profiles for
            >other users which gives them their own desktop and accesses.

            Thanks!
            Jody

            Clean-Funnies: click and send...
            mailto:c-f@...?subject=Subscribe
          • Jim Hall
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 4, 2001
              Jody,

              At 01:11 AM 12/4/01 -0600, you wrote:
              >Hi Jim,
              >
              >Say, I accidently made a user in my XP Pro and wish to purposely
              >remove it. Do I need to do anything special just delete that bad
              >boy? (Too lazy, busy, tired, who cares to find out for myself by
              >just deleting it. <g>)

              Just go to the control panel and select USERS AND PASSWORDS (I think - I'm
              on a 98 system right now and can't look-see) and REMOVE the unwanted user.

              Regards,

              Jim
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 5, 2001
                Hi Jim,

                Thanks Jim. Been there, done that - but no help. My account is
                the administrator's account. I can add another account and make
                admin to delete it according to Help, but then I'm back in the
                same place. ;(

                Say, y'all know about the Win... annoyance site, (if not, go
                there). Does anybody have the URL and/or do they have pages up
                for XP yet?

                I sure would like to know how to get rid of the connection notice
                that pops up above the System Tray (pointing to the tray icon for
                DUN) every time I connect letting me know I got connected.

                > > Say, I accidently made a user in my XP Pro and wish to
                > > purposely remove it. Do I need to do anything special just
                > > delete that bad boy? (Too lazy, busy, tired, who cares to find
                > > out for myself by just deleting it. <g>)
                >
                >Just go to the control panel and select USERS AND PASSWORDS (I
                >think - I'm on a 98 system right now and can't look-see) and
                >REMOVE the unwanted user.

              • Lotta
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 5, 2001
                  Hi!

                  I'm wondering if anyone has an older version of the QuickTime setup file
                  and would like to share? I've got the latest I think, 5.02, and it's
                  crashing IE. They don't seem to have older versions at the site.

                  Thanks in advance,
                  Lotta
                • Jim Hall
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 6, 2001
                    At 10:34 AM 12/5/01 -0600, you wrote:
                    >Hi Jim,
                    >
                    >Thanks Jim. Been there, done that - but no help. My account is
                    >the administrator's account. I can add another account and make
                    >admin to delete it according to Help, but then I'm back in the
                    >same place. ;(

                    Sorry, that one is there to stay on Win2K and XP.

                    That is the Boss Hog and he don't go away.

                    Jim
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 6, 2001
                      Hi Jim,

                      Rain, rain, go away and come again some other day. ;)

                      I can live with the extra account - no problem. My biggest
                      concern is the images though. Almost all background images look
                      like they are stretched out way, way too far like 500 pixels for
                      a 100 pixel pic. Some of my own files work fine, but others do
                      not. The height/width is correct. I'll try to get another
                      browser installed so I can at least see if it is IE. The setting
                      Lotta mentioned makes no difference.

                      Oh, the DUN connected pop up is annoying having to click it
                      closed all the time. Sure wish I could get my NetLaunch working.
                      I tried the settings to use it for Win 3.1 and Win95, but no
                      help. Guess I should check out the site, but I think I did that
                      already.

                      > >Thanks Jim. Been there, done that - but no help. My account is
                      > >the administrator's account. I can add another account and make
                      > >admin to delete it according to Help, but then I'm back in the
                      > >same place. ;(
                      >
                      >Sorry, that one is there to stay on Win2K and XP.
                      >
                      >That is the Boss Hog and he don't go away.

                    • Marcus
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 6, 2001
                        On 06.12.01 at 21:14 Jody wrote:
                        >Oh, the DUN connected pop up is annoying having to click it
                        >closed all the time...

                        There are some utilities which close pop-ups. Some were created for the
                        original W95 DUN pop-up. I've not used one myself, only read about them
                        a few years ago. I find it hard to believe that after taming those
                        pop-ups in W98 (right?), or via a service pack, they have it back on
                        XP.

                        No such thing on NT, except a bubble-help type notification over the
                        tray. That does grab the focus though for a second, and I'd like to
                        switch that off. It will cause the start menu to close while you are
                        selecting an item.

                        Isn't there a book entitled Windows Annoyances?

                        Marcus
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 6, 2001
                          Hi Marcus,

                          Opera 5 runs like a champ so far showing my images just fine.

                          > > Oh, the DUN connected pop up is annoying having to click it
                          > > closed all the time...
                          >
                          >There are some utilities which close pop-ups. Some were created
                          >for the original W95 DUN pop-up. I've not used one myself, only
                          >read about them a few years ago. I find it hard to believe that
                          >after taming those pop-ups in W98 (right?), or via a service
                          >pack, they have it back on XP.

                          I never saw anything in 98 that nagged me except for file
                          deletion and stupid warnings about formatting C:\ drive may cause
                          problems. ;) I've used NetLaunch for maybe 4 years and always
                          had everything hid except for the idiot lights in the tray. I
                          cannot get it to run on XP though. It is a real pain living w/o
                          it; I've grown to be dependent on it.

                          >No such thing on NT, except a bubble-help type notification over
                          >the tray. That does grab the focus though for a second, and I'd
                          >like to switch that off. It will cause the start menu to close
                          >while you are selecting an item.

                          That is the culprit I'm talking about. I could live with a
                          second, but it seems like 30 secs although I never timed it.

                          >Isn't there a book entitled Windows Annoyances?

                          I'll have to go to/find the Win95/98/2000, etc. Annoyances page
                          and see if they have something out yet.

                        • hpaulissen
                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 7, 2001
                            Jody,

                            I'm not sure but do you mean Annoyances.org?

                            They mention two programs to bypass the connect-to popup...

                            Hugo

                            Message 13 of 13 , Dec 7, 2001
                              Hi Hugo,

                              >I'm not sure but do you mean Annoyances.org?
                              >
                              >They mention two programs to bypass the connect-to popup...

                              Yep, that's the place so I just need to study their new layout.
                              (I searched my mail archives and the link is the same. ;) There
                              is a forum I might search though also when I get the time. It
                              has always puzzled me why MS does not have some type of utility
                              like Tweak ui and just let us check away to get rid of all their
                              little "you must do it this way" stuff.

                              http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp