XP answer to running out of resources?

  • Jonathan Woodbridge
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 30, 2001
      I'm thinking of upgrading to WinXP because I have heard that it doesn't have
      the limited resources that previous versions of Windows suffer from. I have
      to reboot about once a day (sometimes more often) because I run out of
      resources, not of RAM.

      Is it true?

      And b) are there many applications that aren't compatible with XP and would
      need upgrading??

      thanx,

      Jonathan
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 3, 2001
        Hi Jonathan,

        >I'm thinking of upgrading to WinXP because I have heard that it
        >doesn't have the limited resources that previous versions of
        >Windows suffer from. I have to reboot about once a day (sometimes
        >more often) because I run out of resources, not of RAM.

        All I can say is XP runs a lot better than 98SE and I like it
        better. I just have some annoyances I need to figure out how to
        get rid of them like the DUN connection always wants to tell me
        when it connects which means I have to right click on it to get
        rid of it. I cannot comment on Win2K since I never had that.

        >And b) are there many applications that aren't compatible with XP
        >and would need upgrading??

        I cannot get my NetLaunch to run on XP and it has been one of my
        must have for a number of years. :( It's almost enough to make me

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 4, 2001
          Hi All,

          Does XP and or IE6 have a problem displaying some images? I
          cannot find a pattern as far as file type goes; sometimes they
          display fine and other times it look like a corrupt image file.
          I can view the "corrupt" file in an image viewer with no problems
          so it appears these files are good.

          I'm still migrating to my new machine so I do not have all my
          browsers loaded; just NetCaptor and IE6 - the IE6 that comes with
          the install CD for XP Pro. Is there any such animal to use a
          specific program perhaps (image viewer) like NetScape and Opera
          have, perhaps? No can find.

        • Lotta
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 4, 2001
            Morning Jody,

            >Does XP and or IE6 have a problem displaying some images? I
            >cannot find a pattern as far as file type goes; sometimes they
            >display fine and other times it look like a corrupt image file.

            Don't have IE6, but I've heard of this a lot. It's a feature (well). IE6
            can resize images. I've forgot for what reason. Anyway, it can be turned
            of. In Options somewhere.
            Wasn't this helpful? :)

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 4, 2001
              Hi Lotta,

              >Morning Jody,

              Good evening/night. ;)

              > > Does XP and or IE6 have a problem displaying some images? I
              > > cannot find a pattern as far as file type goes; sometimes they
              > > display fine and other times it look like a corrupt image file.
              >
              >Don't have IE6, but I've heard of this a lot. It's a feature
              >(well). IE6 can resize images. I've forgot for what reason.
              >Anyway, it can be turned of. In Options somewhere. Wasn't this
              >helpful? :)

              Yes, it was and I had high hopes. However, I already had the
              resizing unchecked. What it is suppose to do is size down the
              images that do not fit in the users window size. My icon sizes
              are correctly done. It appears as if there are only 16 or less
              colors used.

              Thanks!
              Jody

              Clean-Funnies: click and send...