Re: [NTO] Hard drive as backup

  • Wren McMains
    Message 1 of 4 , May 6, 2000
      Hi Phil,

      > I want to remove the 2.7 gig hard drive from my old computer, hook it to the new one with a cable or ?, and then take selected files from my new one and store them on the external hard drive in case I get a virus and it wipes me out.

      Minimum you need is $2 ribbon cable. (I'm guessing the new computer
      will already have a space power connector, if not you also need to
      buy a splitter.)

      However, I recommend spending a little more and follow Larry Thomas'
      suggestion of buying drive trays. Once setup, this makes it easy to
      enable/disable either drive, even for someone nervous about playing
      with their hardware. (A disabled drive is very safe from any virus.)

      -Wren
    • phil
      Message 2 of 4 , May 6, 2000
        Wren'

        Thanks for your advice. I think you and Larry are on the right track. I
        know there is a plug in for a second hard drive built into the computer.

        Now if I can find the drive trays.

        The town I live in, during the winter, has only had 2 x 4s for sale for the
        last year. Most of what we want, we do without.

        Phil E.
        > > I want to remove the 2.7 gig hard drive from my old computer, hook it to
        the new one with a cable or ?, and then take selected files from my new one
        and store them on the external hard drive in case I get a virus and it wipes
        me out.

        > Minimum you need is $2 ribbon cable. (I'm guessing the new computer
        > will already have a space power connector, if not you also need to
        > buy a splitter.)
        >
        > However, I recommend spending a little more and follow Larry Thomas'
        > suggestion of buying drive trays. Once setup, this makes it easy to
        > enable/disable either drive, even for someone nervous about playing
        > with their hardware. (A disabled drive is very safe from any virus.)
        >
        > -Wren

        > eGroups eLerts

      • Larry Thomas
        Message 3 of 4 , May 6, 2000
          Hi Phil,

          At 12:29 PM 05/06/2000 -0700, you wrote:
          >Wren'
          >
          >Thanks for your advice. I think you and Larry are on the right track. I
          >know there is a plug in for a second hard drive built into the computer.
          >
          >Now if I can find the drive trays.
          >
          >The town I live in, during the winter, has only had 2 x 4s for sale for the
          >last year. Most of what we want, we do without.
          >
          >Phil E.

          Man! Must be hard using a 2 x 4 for toilet paper!

          Regards,

          Larry
          larryt@...
          Message 4 of 4 , May 6, 2000
            Hi Larry & Phil,

            >> Now if I can find the drive trays.

            If you have credit cards, just order online. Try this:

            http://www.pricewatch.com

            >> The town I live in, during the winter, has only had 2 x 4s for
            >> sale for the last year. Most of what we want, we do without.

            > Man! Must be hard using a 2 x 4 for toilet paper!

            Surely corn cobs are a must! ;)

            See ya,
            Jody

            Rom. 3:23; 6:23; Eph. 2:8-9; 1Cor. 15:3-4
            Acts 16:30-31, 27:25; Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

            Sojourners of the Lord
            http://www.sureword.com/sojourner