Re: [NTO] Hard Drive Backup

  • Wren McMains
    Message 1 of 17 , May 6 10:29 AM
      Hi Paul,

      > Are there any compatibility problems using say DOS 6.22
      > on a 486dx with WIN98SE on a 300mhz machine?

      You need something on the old machine which supports a network.
      Usually that means at least Windows for Work Groups 3.11. Or
      assuming you need keep long file names Windows 95. (Years ago
      you might have used Lantastic or NetWare, but networking is built
      into all the newer MS OS's.)

      > >For the size data files we deal with today I wouldn't consider
      > >anything except network transfer.
      >
      > Do you mean a LAN setup within your own home?

      Yes. As I said the old machine can be an active backup for a
      critical application that you can't afford to be without for
      a few days while awaiting a repair. I also use it to backup
      ALL data files.

      -Wren
      Message 2 of 17 , May 6 6:06 PM
        Hi Marco,

        > I need some traceroutes from around the world to see where the
        > bottleneck really is: are here some kind souls to make a DOS
        > traceroute to www.cmirl.ge.infn.it and send results to me?

        Should me a url for a freeware Windows utility and I'll check.

        Bye for now,
        Jody Adair
        Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

        http://www.sureword.com/sojourner
        http://www.sureword.com/kjb1611
        http://www.sureword.com/notetab
      • Lawrence M Hamilton, Jr.
        Message 3 of 17 , May 6 6:53 PM
          Hi Jody,

          On Sat, 06 May 2000 20:06:56 -0500 Jody <KJB1611@...> writes:
          > Hi Marco,
          >
          > > I need some traceroutes from around the world to see where the
          > > bottleneck really is: are here some kind souls to make a DOS
          > > traceroute to www.cmirl.ge.infn.it and send results to me?
          >
          > Should me a url for a freeware Windows utility and I'll check.

          This is what I used for Marco, lots more than just TraceRoute.

          http://www.samspade.org/ssw/

          Also, If I am not mistaken, TRACERT.EXE is a traceroute commandline
          program that comes with(Win 9x/NT). Just go to commanline and type the
          program name and it will give you its options.

          For another free option that is smaller and does what SamSpade does wih a
          batch file and some freeware commandline programs, see:

          http://www.pc-help.org/trace/

          This is another thing that I have thought about enabling NoteTab to do.
          (Boy I really opened myself up with that one, didn't I?)

          HTH,

          Larry Hamilton, Jr. lmhamilton@...
          http://www.HamiltonGenSociety.org/
          My Web Site: http://notlimaH.tripod.com

          Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
          http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.
        • Jim Hall
          Message 4 of 17 , May 6 7:35 PM
            Hi Phil,

            FWIW You've heard all of the other methods but here is an article about
            mirroring.

            There is no question that with todays' large drives, the best way to
            backup a hard drive is with another hard drive.

            Aside from Mirror Technology which is continuous and real time, you need
            a scheduler and the upgrade for the standard one in Windows, allows you
            to schedule and backup to several different media. Regardless of the
            media or method (including LAN) it takes time to backup several GB of
            data so scheduling it to occur while you sleep is a good way to avoid
            the inconvenience of waiting for a backup to finish.

            I use all of the methods described on the list at various times for
            various reasons.

            If you would like to know more about the pro's and cons for any given
            method, feel free to send me a private missle.

            For Mirroring:

            http://www.pcworld.com/current_issue/article/0,1212,12315,00.html

            For Backup Exec (formerly Seagate, now Veritas)

            http://www.conner.com/support/software/

            http://www.driverforum.com/tapebackup/385.html

            Regards

            Jim
          • Lawrence M Hamilton, Jr.
            Message 5 of 17 , May 6 7:41 PM
              Hi Jim,

              On Sat, 6 May 2000 19:35:17 -0700 "Jim Hall" <jehall@...> writes:
              > If you would like to know more about the pro's and cons for any
              > given
              > method, feel free to send me a private missle.

              Should such an "explosive" comment be permitted on the list? <g>

              Perhaps you meant "missive".

              Bad pun, I know, but I couldn't help myself. (Nor did I try! <vbg>)

              Larry

              "Incorrigible Punster, Do Not Incorrige"
              Message 6 of 17 , May 6 10:17 PM
                Hi Lawrence & Marco,

                > www.cmirl.ge.infn.it and send results to me?

                > http://www.samspade.org/ssw/

                I'm originating in Milton, FL via local access to ATT.

                05/07/00 00:10:39 ping www.cmirl.ge.infn.it
                Ping www.cmirl.ge.infn.it (130.251.168.218) ...
                1 Addr:130.251.168.218, RTT: 359ms, TTL: 103
                2 Addr:130.251.168.218, RTT: 349ms, TTL: 103
                3 Addr:130.251.168.218, RTT: 363ms, TTL: 103
                4 Addr:130.251.168.218, RTT: 341ms, TTL: 103
                5 Addr:130.251.168.218, RTT: 337ms, TTL: 103
                6 Addr:130.251.168.218, RTT: 342ms, TTL: 103
                7 Addr:130.251.168.218, RTT: 337ms, TTL: 103
                8 Addr:130.251.168.218, RTT: 336ms, TTL: 103
                9 Addr:130.251.168.218, RTT: 359ms, TTL: 103
                10 Addr:130.251.168.218, RTT: 957ms, TTL: 103

                05/07/00 00:14:38 Fast traceroute www.cmirl.ge.infn.it
                Trace www.cmirl.ge.infn.it (130.251.168.218) ...
                1 199.70.249.154 140ms 132ms 135ms TTL: 0 (No rDNS)
                2 12.77.244.129 150ms 134ms 161ms TTL: 0 (129.jacksonville-05-10rs.fl.dial-access.att.net ok)
                3 199.70.254.113 141ms 137ms 162ms TTL: 0 (No rDNS)
                4 12.127.11.89 150ms 136ms 154ms TTL: 0 (gbr1-a31s4.ormfl.ip.att.net bogus rDNS: host not found [authoritative])
                5 12.122.5.125 143ms 135ms 167ms TTL: 0 (gbr4-p70.ormfl.ip.att.net bogus rDNS: host not found [authoritative])
                6 12.122.2.181 149ms 147ms 149ms TTL: 0 (gbr3-p20.attga.ip.att.net bogus rDNS: host not found [authoritative])
                7 12.122.1.142 147ms 167ms 157ms TTL: 0 (gbr4-p60.attga.ip.att.net bogus rDNS: host not found [authoritative])
                8 12.122.2.178 165ms 160ms 176ms TTL: 0 (gbr4-p80.wswdc.ip.att.net bogus rDNS: host not found [authoritative])
                9 12.123.9.53 164ms 163ms 164ms TTL: 0 (ggr1-p370.wswdc.ip.att.net bogus rDNS: host not found [authoritative])
                10 192.205.32.134 173ms 171ms 184ms TTL: 0 (att-gw.dc.uu.net bogus rDNS: host not found [authoritative])
                11 152.63.35.198 164ms 163ms 162ms TTL: 0 (159.ATM2-0.XR1.DCA8.ALTER.NET ok)
                12 146.188.163.74 166ms 160ms 164ms TTL: 0 (289.ATM2-0.TR1.DCA8.ALTER.NET ok)
                13 146.188.138.118 184ms 181ms 194ms TTL: 0 (115.ATM7-0.TR1.NYC1.ALTER.NET ok)
                14 146.188.179.17 185ms 183ms 241ms TTL: 0 (199.ATM6-0.XR1.NYC4.ALTER.NET ok)
                15 152.63.21.201 187ms 186ms 193ms TTL: 0 (189.ATM6-0.GW9.NYC4.ALTER.NET ok)
                16 157.130.19.22 187ms 184ms 183ms TTL: 0 (dante3-gw.customer.ALTER.NET ok)
                17 212.1.200.106 337ms 317ms 318ms TTL: 0 (ny-na.garr.net bogus rDNS: host not found [authoritative])
                18 193.206.134.9 328ms 323ms 326ms TTL: 0 (mi-na-1.garr.net ok)
                19 193.206.134.70 328ms 332ms 345ms TTL: 0 (ge-mi-2.garr.net ok)
                20 193.206.132.86 336ms 337ms 360ms TTL: 0 (unige-rc.ge.garr.net ok)
                21 130.251.253.178 337ms 339ms 337ms TTL: 0 (No rDNS)
                22 130.251.203.2 332ms 337ms 339ms TTL: 0 (No rDNS)
                23 130.251.206.134 339ms 354ms 342ms TTL: 0 (catapuggia.csita.unige.it ok)
                24 130.251.168.218 377ms 362ms 337ms TTL:103 (cmeteo.fisica.unige.it ok)

                Bye for now,
                Jody Adair
                Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

                http://www.sureword.com/sojourner
                http://www.sureword.com/kjb1611
                http://www.sureword.com/notetab
              • Marco Bernardini
                Message 7 of 17 , May 7 5:28 AM
                  > I need some traceroutes from around the world to see where the bottleneck
                  > really is

                  Thanks to everybody!
                  I'm the only one (I live 100 km from Genoa) having a long time connection,
                  more than 7 secs, to that site.
                  I make a trace using our server line and I see the signal going to
                  Switzerland before to bounce in Genoa.
                  But from London the line goes to New York to reach Italy: maybe it's better
                  to hire non-alcoholic electricians to make Internet backbones ;-)))

                  A good program for tracing, pinging, whoising (uh! a new verb for my
                  smellchecker!) is the free and fancy CyberKit:
                  http://www.cyberkit.net

                  Have a nice day

                  Marco Bernardini
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 7 12:56 PM
                    Hi Marco,

                    > I'm the only one (I live 100 km from Genoa) having a long time
                    > connection, more than 7 secs, to that site.
                    > I make a trace using our server line and I see the signal going
                    > to Switzerland before to bounce in Genoa.
                    > But from London the line goes to New York to reach Italy: maybe
                    > it's better to hire non-alcoholic electricians to make Internet
                    > backbones ;-)))

                    Maybe it is not the drunkard's problem, at least not his real
                    one. ;) I don't know how they do your routing over there, but
                    the latest and greatest 10 years ago here when I worked in long
                    distance switching was SS7, a signalling and routing protocol.
                    One of the routing features is called "Look ahead routing." The
                    setup is pretty basic in that there are route choices. They work
                    in a descending order from the best route to least desired. we
                    would set our switches to try at least seven different routes
                    before returning an all circuits busy (ATB) condition. If the
                    route is faulty (no signal received) the next choice is tried.
                    The same with an ATB condition. In reality, all the routes are
                    checked while the call is trying to be connected. There was also
                    time-out options to set for each route. If the those times are
                    too long, perhaps seven seconds even <g>, and under a faulty
                    condition it will hang there until time-out occurs the proceed to
                    the next route.

                    One can place a call from say Miami, FL USA trying to get to NYC,
                    NY which has "express fiber" with no switching involved for first
                    and more route choices. On Mother's Day, it would not be
                    uncommon for that same call to do something wild like go to:

                    Atlanta, GA > Seattle, WA >
                    Honolulu, HI, > Tokyo, JP >
                    Honolulu, HI, San Francisco, CA >
                    Dallas, TX, > Memphis, TN
                    New Orleans, LA > [catch this -->] Miami, FL > NYC, NY.

                    Insane? Nope. Would you rather get an ATB signal or start
                    getting ring back tone (RBT) in less than a couple a seconds. ;)
                    Or would you like to go high and dry just to have DUN time out or
                    connect in 7 seconds until the problem is fixed, if fixable.

                    Of course it is fixable with fiber right into your modem <G>, but
                    is the equipment now being used able to make it quicker. Leaving
                    out of Milton here with old worn out copper till it hits fiber to
                    the local telephone company (TELCO) then shot to a TELCO in
                    Pensacola takes time before even getting switched to an Other
                    Common Carrier (OCC). A five second connect time for me is
                    normal and four of those is just getting to an OCC, or ATT in my
                    case because I use ATT. (Anything other than ATT is an OCC. :) It
                    came about them MCI sued ATT for being a monopoly and then all
                    the *other* companies came about.)

                    Connect time though is going to be different from just running a
                    trace when one is already connected as you know. My guess is,
                    Internet connections are at the bottom of the totem pole, at
                    least over here, because there is no charge to us other than our
                    monthly flat rate. Routing is also done in a priority order,
                    some services and call types get priority of the better route
                    choices over others. Local access can also hang while seeking an
                    available line for dial tone returned or switching out onto the
                    carrier lines. A connect or speed of a connect can only be as
                    fast as its slowest link.

                    Now we could go back to ring down circuits where you crank a
                    generator by hand sending AC to a switchboard where the busy body
                    noisy gossiping operator has to plug into the switchboard and ask
                    you who you want to call, then plug into that persons line and
                    rings them via a generator of course listening in the whole time
                    so others kept getting a ring no answer trying to get the
                    operator. ;) I actually got into the field when they still
                    taught those in school, but I don't think there any left in the
                    field except maybe some real desolate areas.

                    >http://www.cyberkit.net

                    ;)

                    mailto:ntb-OffTopic@egroups.com-Subscribe@...
                  • Marco Bernardini
                    Message 9 of 17 , May 7 4:00 PM

                      Alle 14.56 Sunday 07/05/2000 -0500, Jody ha mandato a Marco questo messaggio:

                      >Maybe it is not the drunkard's problem, at least not his real
                      >one. ;) I don't know how they do your routing over there, but
                      >the latest and greatest 10 years ago here when I worked in long
                      >distance switching was SS7, a signalling and routing protocol.

                      I suppose here it's the same.
                      When I tell 7 secs it was traceroute response (7000 msec), not browsing time...

                      Thanks for your interesting infos about US lines.
                      I'm just back from our Telecom site, where I look for a decent permanent
                      line (ADSL aren't still available in our area).

                      For a 64Kb line I must pay:
                      - 300$ for the activation
                      - 180$/monthly fee
                      of course everything + taxes 20%...

                      A 2,4 kb (Yes! 2,4 kb!) is:
                      - 150$ activation
                      - 120$ monthly

                      But there are big discounts for 155 Mb lines connected to Austria...

                      Who understand Italian can laugh at
                      http://www.telecomitalia.it/perlavorare/cdn_768@...

                      An ADSL (where available) is 1000$/yr.

                      So you understand why less than 15% of Italians are using the Internet.

                      Bye!

                      Marco Bernardini
                      Message 10 of 17 , May 7 11:01 PM
                        Hi Marco,

                        >For a 64Kb line I must pay:
                        >- 300$ for the activation
                        >- 180$/monthly fee
                        >of course everything + taxes 20%...
                        >
                        >A 2,4 kb (Yes! 2,4 kb!) is:
                        >- 150$ activation
                        >- 120$ monthly

                        >So you understand why less than 15% of Italians are using the Internet.

                        Yes, that is robbery!