Re: [NTO] Email extractor

  • Julie
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 19, 2001
      Hi Lotta,

      >I thought numeric codes worked too, but was adviced that the spam bots
      >learnt to pick them up long ago. Anyway, there is a NTB library named
      >"HideEmail" that does a good job of it and is quite handy any time one
      >wants the numeric ascii codes for some characters.
      >
      >Lotta

      Oh bummer, if that's truly the case, but I haven't gotten any spam at the
      address I've put on webpages, and the bots have had plenty of time to pick
      that address up. I've noticed, though, a different address I use in
      newsgroups is quite the target!

      Julie
      :-)
    • Rick Friedline
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 19, 2001
        At 06:32 PM 11/19/01, Julie wrote:

        >Oh bummer, if that's truly the case, but I haven't gotten any spam at
        >the
        >address I've put on webpages, and the bots have had plenty of time to
        >pick
        >that address up. I've noticed, though, a different address I use in
        >newsgroups is quite the target!

        Here's what I use for email addresses for usenet and misc potential
        spam sign ups:

        http://sneakemail.com/

        What is Sneakemail?

        Sneakemail is a free service that you can use to generate disposable
        email addresses.

        These "sneak email" addresses are aliases of your real address, which
        is kept hidden.

        You can enter these Sneakemail addresses into web forms or use them to
        contact e-businesses without the risk of your real address being abused
        or bought and sold.

        Consider each Sneakemail address as an informal agreement between you
        and an online business or organization.

        HTH

        Rick

        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 19, 2001
          Hi,

          Rick wrote:
          >http://sneakemail.com/

          Sneakemail is super cool! I'm actually thinking about using it for all mailing lists too.

          Julie, I'm sorry I can't give you an URl that verifies what I said about the numeric codes. I was laughed at for suggesting that method once (sigh). After that I've seen it mentioned here and there but I haven't noted down where.

          Lotta
        • Julie
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 19, 2001
            you wrote:

            >http://sneakemail.com/

            thanks!
            Julie
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 19, 2001
              Hi Alice ttlg,

              >> Most the people I know delete SPAM w/o even opening it, and
              >> if tricked into opening it, it is deleted

              >or reported to the ISP of the spammer which can result in their
              >internet account being cancelled since spamming is usually
              >against the ISP's TOS. On my throwaway free email accounts, I
              >usually just delete it but if a spammer finds one of my good
              >addresses, I report them to all possible places, their ISP,
              >webhost provider if a website is mentioned in the spam,
              >whatever's applicable and get their accounts cancelled if I can.

              I use to have a Clip that would send the complete SPAM (full
              headers, etc.) to a number of addresses for the domain such as:

              Abuse@...
              Support@...
              Root@...
              help@...
              info@... ...and so on.

              For the most part though, the SPAMmers keep signing up for all
              the free mailing thingies. For me, I just did not have the time
              to pursue it.

              There are, well, at least one free utility that sends back a Mail
              Delivery Subsystem <MAILER-DAEMON@...> type
              post hiding x-sender, etc. to make it appear the address is no
              longer valid. I seemed to be having some success with it, but it
              is hard to tell. The idea I suppose is to keep sending the
              message to all SPAMmers so that hopefully your eMail address will
              be removed from "master" eMail SPAM lists.

              One day when I was playing, but never used it because I figured
              the bots had it all figured out a long, long time ago. I think
              I will try some of the other methods mentioned though. Thanks
              all. ;)

              <--- Copy below this line --->
              H="Spaminator"
              ; Last updated 11-19-2001, Sojourner@..., jody
              ; http://www.notetab.net
              ; Start Clip with cursor at the start of the eMail address.

              ^!ClearVariable %Spaminator%

              :Loop
              ^!IfTrue ^$IsEmpty(^$GetChar$)$ Show
              ^!Set %Char%=^$IntToHex(^$GetChar$)$
              ^!Append %Spaminator%=%^%Char%
              ^!MoveCursor 1
              ^!Goto Loop

              :Show
              ^!Info ^%Spaminator%

              <--- Copy above this line, right --->
              <--- click over a Library, and --->
              <--- choose "Add from Clipboard" --->

              av1611@...:
              %61%76%1%6%1%1%40%65%61%72%74%68%6C%69%6E%6B%2E%6E%65%74%20%75%74%66
              aV1611@...:
              %61%56%1%6%1%1%40%65%61%72%74%68%6C%69%6E%6B%2E%6E%65%74%20%75%74%66