Re: [NTO] Email extractor

  • alice ttlg
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 19, 2001
      Jody wrote:
      > Hi Dr. Paul & S K Agraawl,
      >
      > Without blinking an eye I came up with the same thought as Doc
      > Paul. I do not think, nay, you will not find anybody on this
      > list that would support such an idea of harvesting eMail
      > addresses off the web. Most the people I know delete SPAM w/o
      > even opening it, and if tricked into opening it, it is deleted

      or reported to the ISP of the spammer which can result in their internet
      account being cancelled since spamming is usually against the ISP's TOS. On
      my throwaway free email accounts, I usually just delete it but if a spammer
      finds one of my good addresses, I report them to all possible places, their
      ISP, webhost provider if a website is mentioned in the spam, whatever's
      applicable and get their accounts cancelled if I can.

      > right away. I wonder if SPAM ever sales anything and if it is
      > just the SPAMmers that are the foolish ones for buying into the
      > lies about SPAM. Kind of like the chain letters, only a few get
      > suckered into them loosing money and valuable time that could be
      > spent elsewhere.

      Unfortunately, people do get sucked in and lose their money on some scam. :-(

      alice ttlg

      http://lookinglass.populli.net/
      Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious. -- Rules
      of Life #21
    • Julie
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 19, 2001
        you wrote:

        >May some body advice me a FREEWARE for extracting email addresses from web
        >sites?

        Hoho... I don't think so, but may I direct folks to
        http://www.siteup.com/encoder.html
        a site subtitled "mailto encoder" <G>?
      • Lotta
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 19, 2001
          Hi Julie.

          >Hoho... I don't think so, but may I direct folks to
          >http://www.siteup.com/encoder.html
          >a site subtitled "mailto encoder" <G>?

          I thought numeric codes worked too, but was adviced that the spam bots learnt to pick them up long ago. Anyway, there is a NTB library named "HideEmail" that does a good job of it and is quite handy any time one wants the numeric ascii codes for some characters.

          Lotta
        • Julie
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 19, 2001
            Hi Lotta,

            >I thought numeric codes worked too, but was adviced that the spam bots
            >learnt to pick them up long ago. Anyway, there is a NTB library named
            >"HideEmail" that does a good job of it and is quite handy any time one
            >wants the numeric ascii codes for some characters.
            >
            >Lotta

            Oh bummer, if that's truly the case, but I haven't gotten any spam at the
            address I've put on webpages, and the bots have had plenty of time to pick
            that address up. I've noticed, though, a different address I use in
            newsgroups is quite the target!

            Julie
            :-)
          • Rick Friedline
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 19, 2001
              At 06:32 PM 11/19/01, Julie wrote:

              >Oh bummer, if that's truly the case, but I haven't gotten any spam at
              >the
              >address I've put on webpages, and the bots have had plenty of time to
              >pick
              >that address up. I've noticed, though, a different address I use in
              >newsgroups is quite the target!

              Here's what I use for email addresses for usenet and misc potential
              spam sign ups:

              http://sneakemail.com/

              What is Sneakemail?

              Sneakemail is a free service that you can use to generate disposable
              email addresses.

              These "sneak email" addresses are aliases of your real address, which
              is kept hidden.

              You can enter these Sneakemail addresses into web forms or use them to
              contact e-businesses without the risk of your real address being abused
              or bought and sold.

              Consider each Sneakemail address as an informal agreement between you
              and an online business or organization.

              HTH

              Rick

              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 19, 2001
                Hi,

                Rick wrote:
                >http://sneakemail.com/

                Sneakemail is super cool! I'm actually thinking about using it for all mailing lists too.

                Julie, I'm sorry I can't give you an URl that verifies what I said about the numeric codes. I was laughed at for suggesting that method once (sigh). After that I've seen it mentioned here and there but I haven't noted down where.

                Lotta
              • Julie
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 19, 2001
                  you wrote:

                  >http://sneakemail.com/

                  thanks!
                  Julie
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 19, 2001
                    Hi Alice ttlg,

                    >> Most the people I know delete SPAM w/o even opening it, and
                    >> if tricked into opening it, it is deleted

                    >or reported to the ISP of the spammer which can result in their
                    >internet account being cancelled since spamming is usually
                    >against the ISP's TOS. On my throwaway free email accounts, I
                    >usually just delete it but if a spammer finds one of my good
                    >addresses, I report them to all possible places, their ISP,
                    >webhost provider if a website is mentioned in the spam,
                    >whatever's applicable and get their accounts cancelled if I can.

                    I use to have a Clip that would send the complete SPAM (full
                    headers, etc.) to a number of addresses for the domain such as:

                    Abuse@...
                    Support@...
                    Root@...
                    help@...
                    info@... ...and so on.

                    For the most part though, the SPAMmers keep signing up for all
                    the free mailing thingies. For me, I just did not have the time
                    to pursue it.

                    There are, well, at least one free utility that sends back a Mail
                    Delivery Subsystem <MAILER-DAEMON@...> type
                    post hiding x-sender, etc. to make it appear the address is no
                    longer valid. I seemed to be having some success with it, but it
                    is hard to tell. The idea I suppose is to keep sending the
                    message to all SPAMmers so that hopefully your eMail address will
                    be removed from "master" eMail SPAM lists.

                    One day when I was playing, but never used it because I figured
                    the bots had it all figured out a long, long time ago. I think
                    I will try some of the other methods mentioned though. Thanks
                    all. ;)

                    <--- Copy below this line --->
                    H="Spaminator"
                    ; Last updated 11-19-2001, Sojourner@..., jody
                    ; http://www.notetab.net
                    ; Start Clip with cursor at the start of the eMail address.

                    ^!ClearVariable %Spaminator%

                    :Loop
                    ^!IfTrue ^$IsEmpty(^$GetChar$)$ Show
                    ^!Set %Char%=^$IntToHex(^$GetChar$)$
                    ^!Append %Spaminator%=%^%Char%
                    ^!MoveCursor 1
                    ^!Goto Loop

                    :Show
                    ^!Info ^%Spaminator%

                    <--- Copy above this line, right --->
                    <--- click over a Library, and --->
                    <--- choose "Add from Clipboard" --->

                    av1611@...:
                    %61%76%1%6%1%1%40%65%61%72%74%68%6C%69%6E%6B%2E%6E%65%74%20%75%74%66
                    aV1611@...:
                    %61%56%1%6%1%1%40%65%61%72%74%68%6C%69%6E%6B%2E%6E%65%74%20%75%74%66