Re: [NTO] Email extractor

  • Dr. Paul Harder
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 19, 2001
      On Mon, 19 Nov 2001 21:44:32 +0500, S K Agraawl wrote:

      > May some body advice me a FREEWARE for extracting email addresses from web
      > sites?

      SK:

      It would be easy enough to write a program to do that, but one wonders
      what you might do with such a capability. The only application I can
      think of would be to accumulate a mailing list to send spam to. I
      couldn't support that sort of project. If that's your intent, I
      strongly urge you to find some other way to spend your time and efforts.

      Paul

      Dr. Paul Harder Houston, Texas, USA pharder@...
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 19, 2001
        Hi Dr. Paul & S K Agraawl,

        Without blinking an eye I came up with the same thought as Doc
        Paul. I do not think, nay, you will not find anybody on this
        list that would support such an idea of harvesting eMail
        addresses off the web. Most the people I know delete SPAM w/o
        even opening it, and if tricked into opening it, it is deleted
        right away. I wonder if SPAM ever sales anything and if it is
        just the SPAMmers that are the foolish ones for buying into the
        lies about SPAM. Kind of like the chain letters, only a few get
        suckered into them loosing money and valuable time that could be
        spent elsewhere.

        >On Mon, 19 Nov 2001 21:44:32 +0500, S K Agraawl wrote:
        >
        > > May some body advice me a FREEWARE for extracting email
        > > addresses from web sites?
        >
        >SK:
        >
        >It would be easy enough to write a program to do that, but one
        >wonders what you might do with such a capability. The only
        >application I can think of would be to accumulate a mailing list
        >to send spam to. I couldn't support that sort of project. If
        >that's your intent, I strongly urge you to find some other way to
        >spend your time and efforts.
        >
        >Paul

      • alice ttlg
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 19, 2001
          Jody wrote:
          > Hi Dr. Paul & S K Agraawl,
          >
          > Without blinking an eye I came up with the same thought as Doc
          > Paul. I do not think, nay, you will not find anybody on this
          > list that would support such an idea of harvesting eMail
          > addresses off the web. Most the people I know delete SPAM w/o
          > even opening it, and if tricked into opening it, it is deleted

          or reported to the ISP of the spammer which can result in their internet
          account being cancelled since spamming is usually against the ISP's TOS. On
          my throwaway free email accounts, I usually just delete it but if a spammer
          finds one of my good addresses, I report them to all possible places, their
          ISP, webhost provider if a website is mentioned in the spam, whatever's
          applicable and get their accounts cancelled if I can.

          > right away. I wonder if SPAM ever sales anything and if it is
          > just the SPAMmers that are the foolish ones for buying into the
          > lies about SPAM. Kind of like the chain letters, only a few get
          > suckered into them loosing money and valuable time that could be
          > spent elsewhere.

          Unfortunately, people do get sucked in and lose their money on some scam. :-(

          alice ttlg

          http://lookinglass.populli.net/
          Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious. -- Rules
          of Life #21
        • Julie
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 19, 2001
            you wrote:

            >May some body advice me a FREEWARE for extracting email addresses from web
            >sites?

            Hoho... I don't think so, but may I direct folks to
            http://www.siteup.com/encoder.html
            a site subtitled "mailto encoder" <G>?
          • Lotta
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 19, 2001
              Hi Julie.

              >Hoho... I don't think so, but may I direct folks to
              >http://www.siteup.com/encoder.html
              >a site subtitled "mailto encoder" <G>?

              I thought numeric codes worked too, but was adviced that the spam bots learnt to pick them up long ago. Anyway, there is a NTB library named "HideEmail" that does a good job of it and is quite handy any time one wants the numeric ascii codes for some characters.

              Lotta
            • Julie
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 19, 2001
                Hi Lotta,

                >I thought numeric codes worked too, but was adviced that the spam bots
                >learnt to pick them up long ago. Anyway, there is a NTB library named
                >"HideEmail" that does a good job of it and is quite handy any time one
                >wants the numeric ascii codes for some characters.
                >
                >Lotta

                Oh bummer, if that's truly the case, but I haven't gotten any spam at the
                address I've put on webpages, and the bots have had plenty of time to pick
                that address up. I've noticed, though, a different address I use in
                newsgroups is quite the target!

                Julie
                :-)
              • Rick Friedline
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 19, 2001
                  At 06:32 PM 11/19/01, Julie wrote:

                  >Oh bummer, if that's truly the case, but I haven't gotten any spam at
                  >the
                  >address I've put on webpages, and the bots have had plenty of time to
                  >pick
                  >that address up. I've noticed, though, a different address I use in
                  >newsgroups is quite the target!

                  Here's what I use for email addresses for usenet and misc potential
                  spam sign ups:

                  http://sneakemail.com/

                  What is Sneakemail?

                  Sneakemail is a free service that you can use to generate disposable
                  email addresses.

                  These "sneak email" addresses are aliases of your real address, which
                  is kept hidden.

                  You can enter these Sneakemail addresses into web forms or use them to
                  contact e-businesses without the risk of your real address being abused
                  or bought and sold.

                  Consider each Sneakemail address as an informal agreement between you
                  and an online business or organization.

                  HTH

                  Rick

                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 19, 2001
                    Hi,

                    Rick wrote:
                    >http://sneakemail.com/

                    Sneakemail is super cool! I'm actually thinking about using it for all mailing lists too.

                    Julie, I'm sorry I can't give you an URl that verifies what I said about the numeric codes. I was laughed at for suggesting that method once (sigh). After that I've seen it mentioned here and there but I haven't noted down where.

                    Lotta
                  • Julie
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 19, 2001
                      you wrote:

                      >http://sneakemail.com/

                      thanks!
                      Julie
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 19, 2001
                        Hi Alice ttlg,

                        >> Most the people I know delete SPAM w/o even opening it, and
                        >> if tricked into opening it, it is deleted

                        >or reported to the ISP of the spammer which can result in their
                        >internet account being cancelled since spamming is usually
                        >against the ISP's TOS. On my throwaway free email accounts, I
                        >usually just delete it but if a spammer finds one of my good
                        >addresses, I report them to all possible places, their ISP,
                        >webhost provider if a website is mentioned in the spam,
                        >whatever's applicable and get their accounts cancelled if I can.

                        I use to have a Clip that would send the complete SPAM (full
                        headers, etc.) to a number of addresses for the domain such as:

                        Abuse@...
                        Support@...
                        Root@...
                        help@...
                        info@... ...and so on.

                        For the most part though, the SPAMmers keep signing up for all
                        the free mailing thingies. For me, I just did not have the time
                        to pursue it.

                        There are, well, at least one free utility that sends back a Mail
                        Delivery Subsystem <MAILER-DAEMON@...> type
                        post hiding x-sender, etc. to make it appear the address is no
                        longer valid. I seemed to be having some success with it, but it
                        is hard to tell. The idea I suppose is to keep sending the
                        message to all SPAMmers so that hopefully your eMail address will
                        be removed from "master" eMail SPAM lists.

                        One day when I was playing, but never used it because I figured
                        the bots had it all figured out a long, long time ago. I think
                        I will try some of the other methods mentioned though. Thanks
                        all. ;)

                        <--- Copy below this line --->
                        H="Spaminator"
                        ; Last updated 11-19-2001, Sojourner@..., jody
                        ; http://www.notetab.net
                        ; Start Clip with cursor at the start of the eMail address.

                        ^!ClearVariable %Spaminator%

                        :Loop
                        ^!IfTrue ^$IsEmpty(^$GetChar$)$ Show
                        ^!Set %Char%=^$IntToHex(^$GetChar$)$
                        ^!Append %Spaminator%=%^%Char%
                        ^!MoveCursor 1
                        ^!Goto Loop

                        :Show
                        ^!Info ^%Spaminator%

                        <--- Copy above this line, right --->
                        <--- click over a Library, and --->
                        <--- choose "Add from Clipboard" --->

                        av1611@...:
                        %61%76%1%6%1%1%40%65%61%72%74%68%6C%69%6E%6B%2E%6E%65%74%20%75%74%66
                        aV1611@...:
                        %61%56%1%6%1%1%40%65%61%72%74%68%6C%69%6E%6B%2E%6E%65%74%20%75%74%66