Re: [NTO] Yahoo-group URL's at bottom?

  • Julie
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 11, 2001
      Whoops. Sent that too fast. Thanks, Alice. I was trying to figure out why
      sometimes the ads were being stripped out, but not always.

      Julie

      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 11, 2001
        Hi Alice ttlg,

        Yes, I knew it was a feature added perhaps a year ago to strip
        footer and replace with another. I delete them myself though -
        habit. I get my messages text only, so...

        Are you saying that the ads will be stripped and not come back?
        I do not understand the purpose of the 600 CR/LF???

        >> >Though I don't use TheBat myself, I gather that "---" is a common
        >> >standard used to delimit "trash" for auto-deletion so hopefully
        >> >the extra lines appearing all the time wouldn't cause problems. I
        >>
        >> I hate long siglines - end of conversation - haha. Really, I
        >> don't even like the ones I use. I'd rather use just a few lines
        >> myself and leave it at that. I have been real hesitant about
        >> even putting an unsubscribe in all messages. We happened to just
        >> get a flood of them recently, otherwise we do not get that many.
        >
        >Jody, have you noticed the funny lines around the Yahoo text ads?
        >If you grab those (and remove the words "Yahoogroups sponsor"),
        >copy and paste them *exactly* like they are around your footer,
        >then the Yahoogroups ad server will strip the old footers when it
        >strips the old ads, then it'll slap on a new footer and a new ad
        >and send out the messages. It's regularly used on my lists and a
        >bunch of others and it works pretty reliably, occasionally a
        >footer will slip thru due to a glitch with the ad server or
        >something funky in someone's mail software that munges the lines
        >but most of the time it works.
        >
        >You can put up to 600 characters between those two lines, more
        >than that and it won't get stripped. And if you're not sure
        >which lines I'm talking about or you can't find a post with a
        >plain text ad, let me know I'll email them to you privately (if I
        >send to the list, the ad server will strip them :-)).

      • alice ttlg
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 11, 2001
          > Yes, I knew it was a feature added perhaps a year ago to strip
          > footer and replace with another. I delete them myself though -
          > habit. I get my messages text only, so...

          me too, on both deleting and text only but it's helpful for those members who
          forget or who don't get text only.

          > Are you saying that the ads will be stripped and not come back?

          No, not stripped and never come back. What Yahoo does is they send each email
          thru their advert server, it looks for old adverts on replies and removes them
          and then it attachs a new advert. This way, messages don't get huge, with
          tons of quoted text adverts. The Yahoo ad server identifies the text adverts
          by these funny lines around them (I've added spaces so they won't get
          stripped):

          ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------- ~ - - >
          --------------------------------------------------------------------- ~ - >

          > I do not understand the purpose of the 600 CR/LF???

          sorry I didn't make it clearer, between the two funny lines (again I've added
          spaces so it won't get stripped):

          --------------------------------------------- ~ - - >
          you can put up to 600 characters including spaces in between these two lines
          and Yahoo will strip it before putting in a new advert and footer
          --------------------------------------------------------------------- ~ - >

          If you put more than 600 characters between the two lines, then Yahoo won't
          strip it.

          alice ttlg

          http://lookinglass.populli.net/
          All the men in my life keep disappearing to voices in the night... -- Billy's
          Hollywood Screen Kiss
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 11, 2001
            Hi Alice,

            Thanks, I was hoping you were going to say they would not come
            again. I knew they were stripped. Sometimes it does fail like
            you said though.