Yahoo-group URL's at bottom?

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 9, 2001
      Hi Jody (and all)

      I'd like to suggest that you add to the footing of notetab's various lists
      the following common lines or something similar. I frequently want to jump
      to the Yahoo-list to search for something associated with a message I've
      just received from one of the lists. I've got them set up in my links so its
      not a really big deal - just a couple of extra clicks, but for those who've
      only joined one list it might make it easier to get a handle on all the
      other good stuff that's going on behind the scenes as far as they are
      concerned.

      Though I don't use TheBat myself, I gather that "---" is a common standard
      used to delimit "trash" for auto-deletion so hopefully the extra lines
      appearing all the time wouldn't cause problems. I know you include some or
      all these in your responses when appropriate, but at least it would be more
      useful than the standard yahoo provided ads ;--). (It might even cut down on
      some of the "how-do-I-unsubscribe threads - I see one occurring now but I'd
      like to see the URL's it just to facilitate searching.

      ---
      to search web archives for related info, subscribe, unsubscribe etc. try one
      of the following:
      -
      NoteTab's "main" site is --> http://www.notetab.com/ (??Is this the "main"
      site??)
      ---

      Regards ... Alec
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 9, 2001
        Hi Alec and Others,

        >I'd like to suggest that you add to the footing of notetab's
        >various lists the following common lines or something similar. I
        >frequently want to jump to the Yahoo-list to search for something
        >associated with a message I've just received from one of the
        >lists. I've got them set up in my links so its not a really big
        >deal - just a couple of extra clicks, but for those who've only
        >joined one list it might make it easier to get a handle on all
        >the other good stuff that's going on behind the scenes as far as
        >they are concerned.

        I just sent this to tf:

        Yes, I fixed it [egroups to yahoo] on the NoteTab Basic List and
        need to do the others. I am also adding an unsubscribe at the
        top of the web message and the welcome message and an unsubscribe
        in the footer of list messages. (I thought I had seen it before
        and stumbled across it while fixing up.) It is a real pain doing
        that stuff and users will still put unsubscribe in the Subject or
        body.

        All the information is in the welcome letter or at yahoo - I'll
        make it plainer on all lists like I did the Basic. Hopefully, my
        side kick moderator when I'm out of town and editor of a lot of
        the group stuff will give me a hand on it. It is a real drag
        updating all the lists.

        >Though I don't use TheBat myself, I gather that "---" is a common
        >standard used to delimit "trash" for auto-deletion so hopefully
        >the extra lines appearing all the time wouldn't cause problems. I
        >know you include some or all these in your responses when
        >appropriate, but at least it would be more useful than the
        >standard yahoo provided ads ;--). (It might even cut down on some
        >of the "how-do-I-unsubscribe threads - I see one occurring now
        >but I'd like to see the URL's it just to facilitate searching.

        I hate long siglines - end of conversation - haha. Really, I
        don't even like the ones I use. I'd rather use just a few lines
        myself and leave it at that. I have been real hesitant about
        even putting an unsubscribe in all messages. We happened to just
        get a flood of them recently, otherwise we do not get that many.

        Thanks for posting over here on this list!!!!!!!;-) I have the
        following in the welcome letter or on the web. I'll get it in
        both, not that it matters, "nobody" reads that stuff anyway. I
        might use your dashes for the small unsubscribe footer though, but
        that is two more lines. :(

        This is at yahoo:

        This is in the NoteTab Basic Welcome letter now, second paragraph:

        Please!!! _Read_ the following about _unsubscribing_ if nothing else:

        Sending a post to the list with unsubscribe in the subject or message body _will not_ unsubscribe you. The link is also at the bottom of every message sent to the list.

        Unsubscribe, mail options, messages, etc.

        Bottom of posts:

        Bottom of the welcome letter:

        Subscribe
        ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
        To subscribe to any of Fookes Software eMail discussion mailing lists, send an empty post to:

        The NoteTab Basic List........... NoteTab-Subscribe@...
        The NoteTab Clips List........... ntb-Clips-Subscribe@...
        The NoteTab HTML List............ ntb-HTML-Subscribe@...
        The NoteTab Next Release List.... ntb-NextRelease-Subscribe@...
        The NoteTab Off-Topic List....... ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@...
        The Mailbag Assistant List....... MailBag-Subscribe@...
        The Album Express List........... Album-Express-Subscribe@...
        Fookes Software Next Release ..... fs-NextRelease-Subscribe@...

        Fookes Software Announcements List: Go to http://www.notetab.com and see "Notify" in the left border.

        >---
        >to search web archives for related info, subscribe, unsubscribe
        >etc. try one of the following:
        >-
        >NoteTab's "main" site is --> <http://www.notetab.com/>http://www.notetab.com/ (??Is this the "main"
        >site??)
        >---

      • alice ttlg
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 11, 2001
          Alec and Jody wrote:
          > >Though I don't use TheBat myself, I gather that "---" is a common
          > >standard used to delimit "trash" for auto-deletion so hopefully
          > >the extra lines appearing all the time wouldn't cause problems. I
          >
          > I hate long siglines - end of conversation - haha. Really, I
          > don't even like the ones I use. I'd rather use just a few lines
          > myself and leave it at that. I have been real hesitant about
          > even putting an unsubscribe in all messages. We happened to just
          > get a flood of them recently, otherwise we do not get that many.

          Jody, have you noticed the funny lines around the Yahoo text ads? If you grab
          those (and remove the words "Yahoogroups sponsor"), copy and paste them
          *exactly* like they are around your footer, then the Yahoogroups ad server
          will strip the old footers when it strips the old ads, then it'll slap on a
          new footer and a new ad and send out the messages. It's regularly used on my
          lists and a bunch of others and it works pretty reliably, occasionally a
          footer will slip thru due to a glitch with the ad server or something funky in
          someone's mail software that munges the lines but most of the time it works.

          You can put up to 600 characters between those two lines, more than that and
          it won't get stripped. And if you're not sure which lines I'm talking about
          or you can't find a post with a plain text ad, let me know I'll email them to
          you privately (if I send to the list, the ad server will strip them :-)).

          alice ttlg

          http://lookinglass.populli.net/
          I see what the killers see. I put myself in his head. I become the thing we
          fear the most. I become capable of it, I become the horror what we know we can
          become only in our heart of darkness. It's my gift, it's my curse. - Frank
          Black, Millennium
        • Julie
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 11, 2001

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 11, 2001
              Whoops. Sent that too fast. Thanks, Alice. I was trying to figure out why
              sometimes the ads were being stripped out, but not always.

              Julie

              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 11, 2001
                Hi Alice ttlg,

                Yes, I knew it was a feature added perhaps a year ago to strip
                footer and replace with another. I delete them myself though -
                habit. I get my messages text only, so...

                Are you saying that the ads will be stripped and not come back?
                I do not understand the purpose of the 600 CR/LF???

                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 11, 2001
                  > Yes, I knew it was a feature added perhaps a year ago to strip
                  > footer and replace with another. I delete them myself though -
                  > habit. I get my messages text only, so...

                  me too, on both deleting and text only but it's helpful for those members who
                  forget or who don't get text only.

                  > Are you saying that the ads will be stripped and not come back?

                  No, not stripped and never come back. What Yahoo does is they send each email
                  thru their advert server, it looks for old adverts on replies and removes them
                  and then it attachs a new advert. This way, messages don't get huge, with
                  tons of quoted text adverts. The Yahoo ad server identifies the text adverts
                  by these funny lines around them (I've added spaces so they won't get
                  stripped):

                  ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------- ~ - - >
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------- ~ - >

                  > I do not understand the purpose of the 600 CR/LF???

                  sorry I didn't make it clearer, between the two funny lines (again I've added
                  spaces so it won't get stripped):

                  --------------------------------------------- ~ - - >
                  you can put up to 600 characters including spaces in between these two lines
                  and Yahoo will strip it before putting in a new advert and footer
                  --------------------------------------------------------------------- ~ - >

                  If you put more than 600 characters between the two lines, then Yahoo won't
                  strip it.

                  alice ttlg

                  http://lookinglass.populli.net/
                  All the men in my life keep disappearing to voices in the night... -- Billy's
                  Hollywood Screen Kiss
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 11, 2001
                    Hi Alice,

                    Thanks, I was hoping you were going to say they would not come
                    again. I knew they were stripped. Sometimes it does fail like
                    you said though.