Re: [NTO] NoteTab with WINE in Linux

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 4, 2001
      Hi Scott

      >The ideal, of course, would be a Linux port of NoteTab.
      >Eric? Any hope there?

      Eric is not on this list. Eric recently wrote in reference to
      porting NoteTab to Linux:

      Kylix is definitely the best environment to use for the migration
      of my Delphi applications to Linux. The advantage of Kylix is
      that I don't have to learn a new programming language and a lot
      of my source code is useable without conversion. Unfortunately,
      it is not a matter of a few hours to migrate a complex
      application like NoteTab. Migration is indeed very quick for
      applications that don't make direct calls to the Windows API, or
      use Windows specific controls and functions. That is not the case
      of NoteTab. As a result, migrating NoteTab is a job that would
      require several weeks of full-time work.

      I have no plan to do this in the immediate future as I am behind
      schedule with several important projects. However, I will get my
      teeth into Kylix one day if the popularity of Linux continues to
      grow.

    • gail
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 5, 2001
        My vote:
        I'd like a Linux version of NoteTabPro.
        Gail

        > >The ideal, of course, would be a Linux port of
        NoteTab.
        > >Eric? Any hope there?
        >
        > Eric is not on this list. Eric recently wrote
        in reference to
        > porting NoteTab to Linux:
        >
        > Kylix is definitely the best environment to use
        for the migration
        > of my Delphi applications to Linux. The
        advantage of Kylix is
        > that I don't have to learn a new programming
        language and a lot
        > of my source code is useable without conversion.
        Unfortunately,
        > it is not a matter of a few hours to migrate a
        complex
        > application like NoteTab. Migration is indeed
        very quick for
        > applications that don't make direct calls to the
        Windows API, or
        > use Windows specific controls and functions.
        That is not the case
        > of NoteTab. As a result, migrating NoteTab is a
        job that would
        > require several weeks of full-time work.
        >
        > I have no plan to do this in the immediate
        future as I am behind
        > schedule with several important projects.
        However, I will get my
        > teeth into Kylix one day if the popularity of
        Linux continues to
        > grow.
        >
        > Happy Topics,
        > Jody
        >
        > The NoteTab Off-Topic List
        > mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Dr. Paul Harder
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 5, 2001
          On Mon, 5 Nov 2001 11:52:02 -0800, Gail wrote:

          > I'd like a Linux version of NoteTabPro.

          Anybody have a chance to try NoteTab Pro on the new LindowsOS operating
          system? If you're not familiar with it, it's a version of Linux that
          runs Windows executables. I have no idea whether it does this more or
          less effectively than WINE does. But it's an intriguing concept!

          Paul

          Dr. Paul Harder Houston, Texas, USA pharder@...
        • Alec Burgess
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 5, 2001
            Paul:
            > Anybody have a chance to try NoteTab Pro on the new LindowsOS operating
            > system? If you're not familiar with it, it's a version of Linux that
            > runs Windows executables.

            I think its still vapour-ware (though not obviously so from reading the
            press releases there;--)

            From their site(http://www.lindows.com/) :

            Be notified the moment the Preview Release of LindowsOS is available.
            Join our Mailing List

            Regards ... Alec