Re: [NTO] NoteTab with WINE in Linux

  • Scott Fordin
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 4, 2001
      I've been able to use NoteTab Pro through Wine under
      SuSE Linux 7.2. I haven't tried it with Red Hat or
      Mandrake yet.

      NoteTab loads slowly under Wine, but it does load, and
      once loaded seems pretty stable. I haven't pressed it
      (NoteTab) too hard in this environment yet though.

      The ideal, of course, would be a Linux port of NoteTab.
      Eric? Any hope there?

      Regards,

      Scott

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 4, 2001
        Hi Scott

        >The ideal, of course, would be a Linux port of NoteTab.
        >Eric? Any hope there?

        Eric is not on this list. Eric recently wrote in reference to
        porting NoteTab to Linux:

        Kylix is definitely the best environment to use for the migration
        of my Delphi applications to Linux. The advantage of Kylix is
        that I don't have to learn a new programming language and a lot
        of my source code is useable without conversion. Unfortunately,
        it is not a matter of a few hours to migrate a complex
        application like NoteTab. Migration is indeed very quick for
        applications that don't make direct calls to the Windows API, or
        use Windows specific controls and functions. That is not the case
        of NoteTab. As a result, migrating NoteTab is a job that would
        require several weeks of full-time work.

        I have no plan to do this in the immediate future as I am behind
        schedule with several important projects. However, I will get my
        teeth into Kylix one day if the popularity of Linux continues to
        grow.

      • gail
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 5, 2001
          My vote:
          I'd like a Linux version of NoteTabPro.
          Gail

          > >The ideal, of course, would be a Linux port of
          NoteTab.
          > >Eric? Any hope there?
          >
          > Eric is not on this list. Eric recently wrote
          in reference to
          > porting NoteTab to Linux:
          >
          > Kylix is definitely the best environment to use
          for the migration
          > of my Delphi applications to Linux. The
          advantage of Kylix is
          > that I don't have to learn a new programming
          language and a lot
          > of my source code is useable without conversion.
          Unfortunately,
          > it is not a matter of a few hours to migrate a
          complex
          > application like NoteTab. Migration is indeed
          very quick for
          > applications that don't make direct calls to the
          Windows API, or
          > use Windows specific controls and functions.
          That is not the case
          > of NoteTab. As a result, migrating NoteTab is a
          job that would
          > require several weeks of full-time work.
          >
          > I have no plan to do this in the immediate
          future as I am behind
          > schedule with several important projects.
          However, I will get my
          > teeth into Kylix one day if the popularity of
          Linux continues to
          > grow.
          >
          > Happy Topics,
          > Jody
          >
          > The NoteTab Off-Topic List
          > mailto:ntb-OffTopic-Subscribe@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Dr. Paul Harder
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 5, 2001
            On Mon, 5 Nov 2001 11:52:02 -0800, Gail wrote:

            > I'd like a Linux version of NoteTabPro.

            Anybody have a chance to try NoteTab Pro on the new LindowsOS operating
            system? If you're not familiar with it, it's a version of Linux that
            runs Windows executables. I have no idea whether it does this more or
            less effectively than WINE does. But it's an intriguing concept!

            Paul

            Dr. Paul Harder Houston, Texas, USA pharder@...
          • Alec Burgess
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 5, 2001
              Paul:
              > Anybody have a chance to try NoteTab Pro on the new LindowsOS operating
              > system? If you're not familiar with it, it's a version of Linux that
              > runs Windows executables.

              I think its still vapour-ware (though not obviously so from reading the
              press releases there;--)

              From their site(http://www.lindows.com/) :

              Be notified the moment the Preview Release of LindowsOS is available.
              Join our Mailing List

              Regards ... Alec