[NTO] Re: AppBar

  • Lloyd
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
      Carl,

      Got it now. Thanks.

      Lloyd
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~

      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
        Hi Ray,

        >Thanks for the offer! Got it here, thanks Jody.
        >>http://home.att.net/~mytestbed/zip/appbar.zip (35.9kb)

        You're welcome.

        It is basically a plain Jane app, but that is the way I like it.
        It is a bar sort of like the Windows Taskbar, but with no icons.
        It looks and acts like a regular menu bar in a program. You add
        main menus of programs to launch and then below the main menu the
        programs in the menu for each. So you might have menus called:
        Applications, Bible, Browsers, Fookes, Image, etc. I keep mine
        on top and auto-hide. You can double click on existing items in
        Edit... to edit that particular item. You can add &shortcuts,
        but mine don't work in Windows 98 until after I give it the focus
        by clicking on one of the main menus.

        See ya in the funnies!
        Jody Adair

        Clean-Funnies
        mailto:CF@...?Subject=subscribe

        Proverbs 15:15
        you missed a good joke!
      • Raymond Fitzgerald
        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
          Hi Jody,

          >It is a bar sort of like the Windows Taskbar, but with no icons.
          >It looks and acts like a regular menu bar in a program. You add
          >main menus of programs to launch and then below the main menu the
          >programs in the menu for each. So you might have menus called:
          >Applications, Bible, Browsers, Fookes, Image, etc. I keep mine

          Can't wait to try it at home tonight! But I'm wondering, especially now that
          we have the clipbar, what's the difference between AppBar and creating the
          same thing for ourselves in NoteTab? In fact, I know for my coworkers I'm
          going to add my "Programs" clip to the clipbar and probably enhance it a bit
          (there's no menus/submenus, only a list of program names).

          Cheers,
          Ray
          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
            Hi Ray,

            > Can't wait to try it at home tonight! But I'm wondering,
            > especially now that we have the clipbar, what's the difference
            > between AppBar and creating the same thing for ourselves in
            > NoteTab? In fact, I know for my coworkers I'm going to add my
            > "Programs" clip to the clipbar and probably enhance it a bit
            > (there's no menus/submenus, only a list of program names).

            Well, for starters, the AppBar is always there, mine when I move
            the mouse to the top to take it out of autohide (which takes a
            bit to get use to that way because of it dropping down when you
            don't want it to like when you want to click an "x" but we
            learn...). On the other hand you have to be in NoteTab to use
            Clipbar. Further more, you can pull down a menu a click on the
            name. Icons to not always tell all - we have to memorize them.
            Tooltips take a bit longer to read and scroll through.

            On my 15" at 600x800 30 icons is about max before wrap with no
            keyboard shortcuts. The Clipbar is great, and for launching
            NoteTab stuff quickly, yes, add an icon for it there. At the same
            setup above one can get about 20 main menu items across the bar
            in AppBar depending on what you name them. Each menu can hold,
            oh, perhaps 30 items, again with shortcuts if you wish. So,
            using my calculator in my NoteBack Library whilst I am here in
            Eudora it says that 20*30 = 600. (grin - I love my toys) So, you
            can have about 600 shortcuts on one tiny tucked away app that
            takes a little bit more of space as 30 icons for your Clipbar.

            Bye for now,
            Jody Adair
            Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

            http://www.sureword.com/sojourner
            http://www.sureword.com/kjb1611
            http://www.sureword.com/notetab
          • Julie G
            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
              At 12:25 PM 02/01/2000 , Carl Swann wrote:

              >> http://home.att.net/~mytestbed/zip/appbar.zip (35.9kb)

              Hey thanks! That's a neat little program :-). Not too bad to set up when I
              go into the folder view of Start | Programs and click on Properties for
              the paths. I figure I'm about halfway done....... I've already deleted the
              icons off of the Win98 QuickLaunch toolbar. What a way to spend the first
              afternoon my kids have been back in school for a week <G>.

              Maybe I won't go 'nomail' right away on this list <G>.

              Julie in MD
            • Lotta
              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
                Hey, that sound good. Can anyone send it to me, please?

                PBrowse
                If anyone is interested I have a small (107Kb zipped) freeware, PBrowse, that is very usefull for keeping track of your images. Run it in any folder containing images and it will create a HTML file listing all gifs and jpgs in that folder for easy viewing. It will print img names but not, I'm sorry to say, sizes, under the pics. It's in swedish but there is only to buttons...Good thing to have when your lazy and have a short memory. Want it? Send me a mail.

                Lotta
              • Raymond Fitzgerald
                Message 7 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
                  Hi Lotta,

                  >Hey, that sound good. Can anyone send it to me, please?

                  This is from Jody:
                  http://home.att.net/~mytestbed/zip/appbar.zip (35.9kb)

                  >If anyone is interested I have a small (107Kb zipped) freeware, PBrowse,
                  that is very usefull for keeping track of your images. Run it in any folder
                  containing images and it will create a HTML file listing all gifs and jpgs
                  in that folder for easy viewing. It will print img names but not, I'm sorry
                  to say, sizes, under the pics.

                  Now that you've got NoteTab, it's time to wean you from some of the others!
                  ;-) Go to the built-in Utilities clip library and run the "Images to HTML"
                  clip. Does everything you described plus image sizes. And of course being a
                  clip, you can modify it to suit your own requirements. Eric's actually got
                  two programs that also do this--the older freeware HTML Imager and the brand
                  new Album Express!

                  Let us know how ya like it!

                  Cheers,
                  Ray
                • Carl Swann
                  Message 8 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
                    Julie G wrote:

                    > At 12:25 PM 02/01/2000 , Carl Swann wrote:
                    >
                    > >> http://home.att.net/~mytestbed/zip/appbar.zip (35.9kb)
                    >
                    > Hey thanks! That's a neat little program :-).

                    Glad you like it!

                    > Not too bad to set up when I
                    > go into the folder view of Start | Programs and click on Properties for
                    > the paths.

                    An easier way is to get CopyPath, a freeware utility that adds "Copy
                    Path" to your right-click menu; when you right click a file, it copies
                    the full path of that file to the Clipboard. Once CopyPath is
                    installed, you can locate the program file of each program you want to
                    add to AppBar (either via Explorer or the Browse button in the AppBar
                    config) and then right click it to choose CopyPath. Then go back to
                    the AppBar config and paste it in the window. Voila - the full path
                    for AppBar to read! CopyPath is a very useful utility... here's the
                    download link:

                    http://www.fullvb.de/soft/data/copypath.exe

                    oOOo-(_)-oOOo
                    Message 9 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
                      Hi Lotta,

                      >Hey, that sound good. Can anyone send it to me, please?

                      http://home.att.net/~mytestbed/zip/appbar.zip (35.9kb)

                      >If anyone is interested I have a small (107Kb zipped) freeware,
                      >PBrowse,

                      Have you tried Eric's HTML Imager v1.2a - freeware:

                      http://www.fookes.com/
                      http://www.fookes.com/software
                      http://www.fookes.com/software/html-img.htm
                      http://209.238.49.160/software/htmimg32.zip (209kb)

                      Or the Shareware version, Album Express 2.0:

                      http://www.fookes.com/album/index.html

                      >It's in swedish but there is only to buttons...Good thing to have
                      >when your lazy and have a short memory. Want it? Send me a mail.

                      Sure, mailto:kjb1611@... or just upload it somewhere. tanX!

                      Two buttons shouldn't be hard to figure out even for this ignernt
                      hillbilly. ;)

                      Happy Camper,
                      Jody Adair
                      Prov. 15:15

                      Message 10 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
                        Hi Carl & Julie,

                        > CopyPath is a very useful utility... here's the download link:
                        >
                        > http://www.fullvb.de/soft/data/copypath.exe

                        That's another goodie I use all the time, seems about daily. I
                        almost forget it is not Windows. :)

                        It will copy the paths of a whole directory too if you want or
                        just some selected files.

                        Here is the actual site, but it is in German. I did not see an
                        English button:

                        http://www.fullaccess.de/

                        Julie,

                        You mentioned going to Properties, etc. AppBar has a Find
                        (browse) button to go the the app itself to add it. It always
                        opens in the C:\ drive though so you need to use the pulldown to
                        switch to another drive.

                        1. Left click to focus and then right click over AppBar
                        2. Choose Edit menu ...
                        3. Click on a menu on left or add one, New Menu (double
                        click to edit menu)
                        4. Click on New App
                        5. Click on Find.

                        Message 11 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
                          At 05:43 PM 02/01/2000 , Jody wrote:

                          > > CopyPath
                          > >
                          > > http://www.fullvb.de/soft/data/copypath.exe

                          >You mentioned going to Properties, etc. AppBar has a Find
                          >(browse) button to go the the app itself to add it. It always
                          >opens in the C:\ drive though so you need to use the pulldown to
                          >switch to another drive.
                          >
                          >1. Left click to focus and then right click over AppBar
                          >2. Choose Edit menu ...
                          >3. Click on a menu on left or add one, New Menu (double
                          > click to edit menu)
                          >4. Click on New App
                          >5. Click on Find.

                          Thanks Jody... Since Windows so kindly puts everything in the Programs menu
                          upon installation, I always group the apps to my liking (although I have
                          clips to most everything I use all the time!). Browsing to the executable
                          seemed more tedious then alt-enter'ing on the shortcut in the Program menu.
                          I found that by adding programs from the properties in the Programs...
                          folder, the path is already highlighted, I can copy and paste the path,
                          and then the file name, and all the programs are all ready grouped the way
                          I like 'em, so it's minimal fuss to organize (for me at least). CopyPath
                          was very helpful for the smaller programs that weren't in the Programs...
                          folder. Had a hard time trying to figure out what the readme file was
                          saying though ;-). I then took all my Captor group clips from NoteTab and
                          put them in their own file menu.

                          Julie
                        • Julie G
                          Message 12 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
                            At 08:18 PM 02/01/2000 , Julie G wrote:

                            >saying though ;-). I then took all my Captor group clips from NoteTab and
                            >put them in their own file menu.

                            That didn't seem to work :-(. AppBar only seems to like exe's I'm
                            assuming? Is there a work around, or should I just use the clips I've
                            created in NTP?

                            Julie
                          • Harvey R. Savage
                            Message 13 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
                              Hi Julie G,

                              I downloaded and started using AppBar. Its use is not limited to .exe
                              files. I added a file - hrs.rtl - as an entry in appbar, it works
                              great. You probably need to make sure, whatever the extension, it is
                              associated with the appropriate executable, ie, add a .txt file to the
                              menu and it will start NotePro with that file opened when you select
                              that choice.

                              hrs

                              --
                              ¿? Harvey R. Savage
                              ¿? 40 Golf Course Road
                              Message 14 of 24 , Feb 1, 2000
                                Hi Julie,

                                > saying though ;-). I then took all my Captor group clips from
                                > NoteTab and put them in their own file menu.
                                >
                                > That didn't seem to work :-(. AppBar only seems to like exe's
                                > I'm assuming? Is there a work around, or should I just use the
                                > clips I've created in NTP?

                                I have never made any NetCaptor Clips, unless you are talking
                                about Clips in NoteTab you are trying to use on it. Then in the
                                new beta you could add the shortcut to Notetab something like
                                (from memory):

                                C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NotePro.exe /L=LibraryName:ClipName

                                If you are talking about something in NetCaptor, perhaps you
                                could rename the file with an .exe extension and the once you get
                                it into NetCaptor rename it to what it needs to be.

                                cya,
                                jody

                                Weather Reports:
                                http://www.wunderground.com/US/FL/Milton.html
                                Sojourners King James Bible Page
                                Message 15 of 24 , Feb 2, 2000
                                  At 11:30 PM 02/01/2000 , you wrote:

                                  >I downloaded and started using AppBar. Its use is not limited to .exe
                                  >files. I added a file - hrs.rtl - as an entry in appbar, it works
                                  >great. You probably need to make sure, whatever the extension, it is
                                  >associated with the appropriate executable, ie, add a .txt file to the
                                  >menu and it will start NotePro with that file opened when you select
                                  >that choice.

                                  The association is there... I don't what the difference is between last
                                  night and this morning, except for it being a new day, but they're opening
                                  just fine now. ??

                                  Julie
                                • Carl Swann
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Feb 2, 2000
                                    Julie G wrote:

                                    > The association is there... I don't what the difference is between last
                                    > night and this morning, except for it being a new day, but they're opening
                                    > just fine now. ??

                                    I often find I do better after a good night's rest, too... ;-)

                                    Glad the program is working for you.

                                    oOOo-(_)-oOOo