Re: [NTO] Want XP?

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 27, 2001
      Lotta:
      As I read the following you have to be working in a store that sells WinXP.

      Program Description / Eligibility: No purchase necessary. Sweepstakes is
      open to legal residents of the 50 U.S. and District of Columbia ages 18 and
      over who are currently employed in a sales function with a Microsoft
      authorized retailer (as listed on Store Name pull-down menu on Register
      Page) except those persons employed by Direct Marketing Resellers (DMR). DMR
      employees may participate in the training exercises, but will not be
      eligible to win prizes. NOTE: Entrant must be employed in a sales function
      at a Microsoft authorized retailer at the time of prize drawing in order to
      be eligible to win a prize. Employees of Microsoft, their affiliates,
      subsidiaries, and any person working on the product, project, or promotion,
      advertising and promotional agencies and the immediate family members of
      each are not eligible. Void where prohibited by law. The sweepstakes opens
      at 12:01 AM PT on September 26, 2001, and ends at 11:59 PM PT on November
      14, 2001.

      Too bad! I can't even get a parttime job to qualify - I live in CANADA -
      sigh;--)

      Regards ... Alec
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 27, 2001
        Melvin and All interested,

        Rumors run rampant and there are many about Windows XP going around.

        If you would like more information and specifics on the Windows Product
        Activation(WPA) and registration
        take a look at:

        http://www.extremetech.com/article/0,3396,s%253D1027%2526a%253D11079,00.asp

        At 11:20 PM 10/27/01 -0400, you wrote:
        >Yesterday's issue of the Christian Science Monitor strongly recommends
        >against switching to XP now, warning that you pay a high price in loss
        >of freedom for the gain in stability. The article suggests that the
        >courts will force Microsoft to modify the program because it perpetuates
        >the monopolistic practices for which they have already been condemned.
      • Lotta
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 27, 2001
          Hello Alec,

          >As I read the following you have to be working in a store that sells WinXP.

          Yeah, I didn't read too close... I posted a correction but I guess you
          didn't get it (boo boo yahoo). I should have understood that they wouldn't
          give XP away so easily. Sorry to have sent you on a wild goose chase.

          I actually thought MS tried to cover for their pathetic attempt to lock
          other browsers than IE out from msn.com when they launched the revamped
          site in celebration of the XP release the other day. Not so.

          Night,
          Lotta
        • Melvin Woody
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 27, 2001
            Yesterday's issue of the Christian Science Monitor strongly recommends
            against switching to XP now, warning that you pay a high price in loss
            of freedom for the gain in stability. The article suggests that the
            courts will force Microsoft to modify the program because it perpetuates
            the monopolistic practices for which they have already been condemned.

            Melvin Woody
          • Stephen Riddle
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 27, 2001
              Hi Folks,
              I take it back, what I said the other day about them having a good site.
              This page does not work with Netscape!
              OhWell.
              (It is the way they have it coded, I tell Opera to pretend it is MSIE,
              everything works. I tell Opera to let them know it is Opera, nothing
              works.)

              > http://www.microsoft.com/retail/training/winxp.asp

              Thanks for the tip anyhoo, Lotta.
              Stephen
            • hsavage
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 27, 2001
                Stephen Riddle wrote:

                > Hi Folks,
                > I take it back, what I said the other day about them having a
                good site.
                > This page does not work with Netscape!
                > OhWell.
                > (It is the way they have it coded, I tell Opera to pretend it
                is MSIE,
                > everything works. I tell Opera to let them know it is Opera,
                nothing
                > works.)
                >

                >>http://www.microsoft.com/retail/training/winxp.asp
                >>

                > Thanks for the tip anyhoo, Lotta.
                > Stephen

                Hi Stephen,

                Out of curiosity I tried the above address with Netscape 4.78.
                True, it doesn't render perfectly, but isn't that the end game
                for Microsoft, total control. It can be negotiated though, with
                a little trouble.

                It would probably be fine with Netscape 6.1, although I
                personally don't recommend 6.1. I installed it one day and
                removed it the next.

                On the other hand, I have been using Mozilla 0.9.5 (the latest
                beta, the last time I looked) for over a week and have very few
                complaints about it.

                It does seem to render the above page and succeeding pages with
                no flaws, at least, none that I can detect. I didn't try it in
                IE, because of a personal boycott.

                It's far better, much more stable, in my experience, than NS 6.1
                which is based on Mozilla 0.9.1, or 0.9.2, depending on which
                article you read.

                Another bonus with Mozilla is you're not bothered with AIM (AOL
                Instant Messenger) during or after installation.

                If you're a Netscape diehard, or just adventurous, the first link
                is to the Mozilla download page.

                The second link is the download page for an add-on for a tabbed
                interface to use in Mozilla.

                The third link is a direct download link for the tabbed interface
                add-on.

                http://www.mozilla.org/

                http://multizilla.mozdev.org/

                http://multizilla.mozdev.org/xpi/multiviews-095.xpi

                hrs
              • alice ttlg
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 28, 2001
                  Actually, it's probably part of MS's attempt to lock out non-IE browsers
                  (while claiming its in support of "standards"), read here:

                  http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/cn/20011025/tc/msn_com_shuts_out_non-microsoft_br
                  owsers_1.html

                  and Opera's reply here:

                  http://www.opera.com/pressreleases/20011026.html

                  and some good blog articles here by a professional web designer:

                  http://www.brainstormsandraves.com/2001_10_21_archive.shtml#6650749

                  (note the fact that even the W3C's own standards compliant browser, Amaya, was
                  unable to access the MSN site)

                  And while you can now access MSN with Opera, it's a really crappy plain
                  version of the site. They're using javascript browser sniffers to
                  deliberately direct non-IE users to a poorer web page. If it is true that
                  Opera would not render their silly page, it's more likely that it's because
                  they used specific IE extensions that will not work in other browsers, it's
                  NOT because Opera is not W3C standards compliant, it's because Opera is not
                  MS/IE standards compliant and not a part of Gates' plan to take over the net.

                  anyhoo, I'll stop ranting now, this crap from MS just pushed all my buttons
                  since I design website and strive to make them viewable and usable in *all*
                  browsers and IE drives me nuts because it accepts so much broken html code,
                  it's so far from standards compliant, it's a joke. (and even bigger joke was
                  that when I looked at MSN in IE on Friday, they had a sliced graphic which had
                  a gap in the middle because even MS can't figure out how to code properly for
                  IE! LOL!)

                  coffee, I need coffee.... :-)

                  alice ttlg

                  http://lookinglass.populli.net/
                  Both hands on steering wheel in a relaxed posture, eyes constantly checking
                  the rear-view mirror to watch for visible emissions from their own or
                  another's car: Colorado -- How to Identify Where a Driver is From

                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 28, 2001
                    Hi Alice,

                    >Actually, it's probably part of MS's attempt to lock out non-IE browsers
                    >(while claiming its in support of "standards"), read here:

                    No, it actually only concerned msn.com. I believe microsoft.com is as
                    accessible to NS4x as can be expected when dealing with an old browser and
                    badly coded pages.

                    A funny things about the msn fiasco is that they let NS6 in but not
                    Mozilla. What does that tell us?

                    Lotta
                  • hsavage
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 28, 2001
                      Lotta wrote:

                      > Hi Alice,
                      >

                      >>Actually, it's probably part of MS's attempt to lock out
                      non-IE browsers
                      >>(while claiming its in support of "standards"), read here:
                      >>

                      > No, it actually only concerned msn.com. I believe
                      microsoft.com is as
                      > accessible to NS4x as can be expected when dealing with an old
                      browser and
                      > badly coded pages.
                      >
                      > A funny things about the msn fiasco is that they let NS6 in
                      but not
                      > Mozilla. What does that tell us?
                      >
                      > Lotta

                      Hello Lotta,

                      Can you be more specific about what can't be viewed with Mozilla
                      on MSN.COM? I am using Mozilla and I just came from there,
                      everything looked good to me.

                      Maybe it is My Msn.com you're talking about?

                      hrs
                    • Lotta
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 28, 2001
                        Hello Harvey,

                        >Can you be more specific about what can't be viewed with Mozilla
                        >on MSN.COM? I am using Mozilla and I just came from there,
                        >everything looked good to me.
                        >
                        >Maybe it is My Msn.com you're talking about?

                        You are too late. It was all over in a day or two. What they did was sorted
                        the browsers in approved and not approved. What they pretended to do was
                        sparing not standard compatible browsers from an inferior experience, since
                        they weren't up to viewing their advanced coding. In fact their coding
                        isn't up to standards at all. They claim to use XHTML Strict but the only
                        thing strict is the DTD.

                        The not aproved browsers never got in at all. They were taken to a page
                        where they 'politely' were asked to upgrade to IE6:

                        ------------------------------
                        Attention: Web Browser Upgrade Required to View MSN.com

                        If you are seeing this page, we have detected that the browser that you are
                        using will not render MSN.com correctly. Additionally, you'll see the most
                        advanced functionality of MSN.com only with the latest version of Microsoft
                        Internet Explorer or MSN Explorer. If you wish to visit MSN.com, please
                        select the appropriate download link below.

                        * Internet Explorer for Windows
                        * Internet Explorer for Macintosh
                        * MSN Explorer for Windows

                        2001 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Terms of Use Advertise
                        TRUSTe Approved Privacy Statement GetNetWise
                        ------------------------------

                        Here are a couple of news links in addition to Alice's:

                        MSN.com shuts out non-Microsoft browsers - Tech News - CNET.com
                        http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-7655334.html

                        Microsoft backpedals on MSN browser block - Tech News - CNET.com
                        http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-7660935.html

                        Lotta
                      • hsavage
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 28, 2001
                          Lotta wrote:

                          > Hello Harvey,
                          >

                          >>Can you be more specific about what can't be viewed with Mozilla
                          >>on MSN.COM? I am using Mozilla and I just came from there,
                          >>everything looked good to me.
                          >>
                          >>Maybe it is My Msn.com you're talking about?
                          >>

                          > You are too late. It was all over in a day or two.
                          >
                          > The not approved browsers never got in at all. They were taken
                          to a page
                          > where they 'politely' were asked to upgrade to IE6:
                          >
                          > ------------------------------
                          > Attention: Web Browser Upgrade Required to View MSN.com
                          >
                          > If you are seeing this page, we have detected that the browser
                          that you are
                          > using will not render MSN.com correctly. Additionally, you'll
                          see the most
                          > advanced functionality of MSN.com only with the latest version
                          of Microsoft
                          > Internet Explorer or MSN Explorer. If you wish to visit
                          MSN.com, please
                          > select the appropriate download link below.
                          >
                          > * Internet Explorer for Windows
                          > * Internet Explorer for Macintosh
                          > * MSN Explorer for Windows
                          >
                          > 2001 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Terms of Use
                          Advertise
                          > TRUSTe Approved Privacy Statement GetNetWise
                          >
                          > Lotta

                          Lotta,

                          Neat!

                          hrs
                        • Jim Hall
                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 28, 2001
                            Hi All,

                            I'm just attempting to change the subject line here to match the topic of
                            discussion.
                            Some of us are following the WinXP thread and aren't necessarily interested
                            in all of the different MSN Browser Problems :-)

                            Thanks,

                            Jim

                            At 02:55 PM 10/28/01 -0600, you wrote:
                            >Lotta wrote:
                            >
                            > > Hello Harvey,
                            > >

                            > >>Can you be more specific about what can't be viewed with Mozilla
                            > >>on MSN.COM? I am using Mozilla and I just came from there,
                            > >>everything looked good to me.
                            > >>
                            > >>Maybe it is My Msn.com you're talking about?
                            > >>

                            > > You are too late. It was all over in a day or two.
                            > >
                            > > The not approved browsers never got in at all. They were taken
                            >to a page
                            > > where they 'politely' were asked to upgrade to IE6:
                            > >
                            > > ------------------------------
                            > > Attention: Web Browser Upgrade Required to View MSN.com
                            > >
                            > > If you are seeing this page, we have detected that the browser
                            >that you are
                            > > using will not render MSN.com correctly. Additionally, you'll
                            >see the most
                            > > advanced functionality of MSN.com only with the latest version
                            >of Microsoft
                            > > Internet Explorer or MSN Explorer. If you wish to visit
                            >MSN.com, please
                            > > select the appropriate download link below.
                            > >
                            > > * Internet Explorer for Windows
                            > > * Internet Explorer for Macintosh
                            > > * MSN Explorer for Windows
                            > >
                            > > 2001 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Terms of Use
                            >Advertise
                            > > TRUSTe Approved Privacy Statement GetNetWise
                            > >
                            > > Lotta
                            > >

                            >Lotta,
                            >
                            >Neat!
                            >
                            >hrs

                          • Lotta
                            Message 13 of 13 , Oct 29, 2001
                              Hi,

                              Read Tim Berners-Lee's view on the 'coup'.

                              http://web.sv.com/content/sv/2001/10/26/opinion/dgillmor/weblog/tbl.htm