Hard Drive Backup

  • phil
    Message 1 of 2 , May 5 7:43 PM
      I have a machine with Win 98-2nd Edition on it, 64 megs ram, 10.8 HD. I have most of the disks for the stuff that is on it, but I would like to backup all the stuff I don't have disks for, plus a bunch of games I have made, and a bunch of other files I would hate to lose.

      I have another machine with a newly formatted 2.7 gig hard drive. Internal.

      My thought is: That hard drive would make a great back up disk. Can this be done? Is there any way to hook it externally to my new machine and use it for a backup?

      Thanks for your help, even if I can't do it.

      Phil E.

    • Bob Janes
      Message 2 of 2 , May 6 2:35 AM
        Hi Phil,

        > My thought is: That hard drive would make a great back up
        > disk. Can this be done? Is there any way to hook it
        > externally to my new machine and use it for a backup?

        It can be done, it's pretty simple -- though there are a few 'learning
        points' on the way.

        The way I suggest you go is to set up a peer-to-peer network. The most basic
        network uses two network cards with BNC connections (round co-ax connectors
        with a bayonet fitting), a length of thin ethernet cable to connect them and
        two terminators to end the network. As someone else said, you can buy the
        parts yourself or get one of the home networking kits.

        To set up thin ethernet you put the cards in the PCs, put a 'T' connector on
        each BNC connector link the cable between the 'T's and put the terminators
        on the other end of the 'T's. In Windows 98 you open up the Network settings
        in Control Panel to: install card drivers (usually plug & play now), give
        each of your PCs a name, install at least one network protocol that is the
        same on both PCs, set up file & print sharing on both. The you can right
        click on the drives you want to share in Explorer and, with luck, you will
        be able to use Network Neighbourhood to see the other PC and copy files
        between the two. The Backup software that comes with Windows will work fine
        across this link.

        I ran a system like this with a PC and a laptop for a while. I later
        migrated to use network hubs (you use Cat 5 cable with RJ45 telephone type
        plugs to connect each PC to the hub rather than running cable just between
        the PCs) to accommodate an ISDN router. Right now I have between 3-4 PCs
        running on a peer to peer network a bit more sophisticated than the basic
        model described above -- but still without a server or any server software!

        Best wishes

        Bob

        --

        Bob Janes