Re: [NTO] Flash, Audio, Active X-Controls, Java, & Microsoft

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 6, 2001
      Hi Stefan and Others,

      I've had a German site that has virus protectors running on (I
      think the downloads) that reports a virus on our links). Other
      than that, I am getting a few support posts where people are
      having a hard time downloading. I suspect that the problem may
      be due to traffic because we are getting hit hard due to our new
      release mailing list (having all our recent upgrades) and
      possibly IE6, but I have not confirmed the latter. Probably just
      wishful thinking on my part. <g> Not really though, Eric can fix
      a problem much faster than M$ can and IE having problems effects
      us a lot.

      >>Hi Scott & Stefan & Others,
      >>
      >>If you guys would like to get a class action law suit going
      >>... ... ..

      >>Scott Wrote:
      >>
      >>>The sad thing is that Microsoft, in their quest to rule the world
      >>>even more -- specifically, to make the Internet Microsoft only,
      >

      >I think I would be very proud to stand with you against what bad thing
      >ever! :-)
      >
      >Nevertheless, here are some facts:
      >
      >The paragraphs Jody cited wasn't written by me, it was Rudolf's reply
      >to my complaint about not being able to download the slipstream
      >release from the notetab sites using my IE5(.0).
      >
      >There was a reply from Eric Fookes, asking that it looks more like a
      >particular problem of my configuration, since he don't use any plugins
      >or the like on the downloadpages.
      >
      >Also no other problem reports seem to has occured.
      >
      >I had the same problem just yesterday with an automatic download
      >redirection from www.activestate.com (the makers of ActivePerl, a very
      >good Perl for Win32 distribution, useful with NoteTab, BTW :-)
      >
      >So I'm very sure now that the problem is on my site, not anywhere.
      >
      >I will check my configuration, then.
      >
      >---
      >
      >I have no reports about sites no longer working with MS browsers up to
      >now.
      >
      >Anyway as stated above, I would be proud...
      >

      >Peacefully,
      >Stefan

    • Marcus
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 6, 2001
        On 07.10.01 at 01:02 Jody wrote:
        >I've had a German site that has virus protectors running on (I
        >think the downloads) that reports a virus on our links).

        Do you compress the .exe file with something like UPX or Petite ?
        I've heard that can cause some virus checkers to react.

        I downloaded the NTB upgrade yesterday without any problems. I used IE
        5.5 with Gozilla.

        Marcus
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 6, 2001
          Hi Marcus,

          >On 07.10.01 at 01:02 Jody wrote:
          >>I've had a German site that has virus protectors running on (I
          >>think the downloads) that reports a virus on our links).
          >
          >Do you compress the .exe file with something like UPX or Petite ?
          >I've heard that can cause some virus checkers to react.

          We use to and I think Eric just used it again for NoteTab Tiny.
          ;) But, that is the installed executable and not the installation
          program as in the downloaded file.

          >I downloaded the NTB upgrade yesterday without any problems. I used IE
          >5.5 with Gozilla.

          Thanks - could just be heavy traffic.

          Bye for now,
          Jody Adair
          Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

          http://www.purewords.org/sojourner
          http://www.purewords.org/kjb1611
          http://www.notetab.net
        • Marcus
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 7, 2001
            On 07.10.01 at 01:53 Jody wrote:
            >>Do you compress the .exe file with something like UPX or Petite ?
            >>I've heard that can cause some virus checkers to react.
            >
            >We use to and I think Eric just used it again for NoteTab Tiny.
            >;) But, that is the installed executable and not the installation
            >program as in the downloaded file.

            True, but virus checkers also read inside the .exe or .zip packages, so
            it may still find the actual program .exe within in the installation
            package.

            Could it be that the download site which is complaining is detecting
            the compressed .exe of NoteTab Tiny?

            Marcus
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 8, 2001
              Hi Marcus,

              >> We use to and I think Eric just used it again for NoteTab Tiny.
              >> ;) But, that is the installed executable and not the
              >> installation program as in the downloaded file.
              >
              >True, but virus checkers also read inside the .exe or .zip
              >packages, so it may still find the actual program .exe within in
              >the installation package.
              >
              >Could it be that the download site which is complaining is
              >detecting the compressed .exe of NoteTab Tiny?

              No, but things have settled down now. I always get a bit
              concerned when new releases come out. I think most down load
              problems are due to a swapped (hit hard) server.

              Thanks!
              Jody

              Clean-Funnies: click and send...
              mailto:c-f@...?subject=Subscribe