Re: [NTO] was ( [NTB] RE: Notetab as IE Editor)

  • Lotta
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 6, 2001
      Hi Alec,

      <snip>
      >All that was required was just the name of the .EXE without path
      <snip>
      >Considering that I'm just stumbling around in the dark, I think I'll give it
      >a rest for now, before I screw up BIG-TIME

      Sorry, I wasn't very clear. You have to make it look exactly as the others
      with sub keys and all. I'll try to list the moves.
      Let's see, we were at HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT | .htm | OpenWithList

      Double click "OpenWithList" so it opens.

      Right click and highlight "OpenWithList" and choose "New Key" from the
      context menu
      Name the new key the editor's name for example "notepad" (no .exe).

      Now rightclick the key you just created ('notepad') and add a new key under
      it and name it "shell".

      Rightclick "shell" and add a new key under it and name it "edit".

      Rightclick "edit" and add a new key under it named "command" (boy, this is
      fun!).

      Now leftclick once to highlight the "command" key. In the right frame
      double click on "Default "and as the value enter the full path to your
      editor followed by "%1".
      Example: C:\WINDOWS\Notepad.exe %1
      Note the space between the path and %1.

      Done! Taa-taa!

      Lotta
    • Alec Burgess
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 7, 2001
        Hi Lotta
        I think I followed your directions - but the two I added following them
        (HTML-kit and Winword) do NOT appear on the Internet Options | Programs |
        HTML Editor.
        I'm pasting the Regedit 4 export of the entire .HTM key below after making
        the changes I "think" you were suggesting. Maybe you can spot something
        obvious? (I'm using IE5.50SP2 if its relevant)
        -----
        REGEDIT4

        [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm]
        @="Opera.HTML"
        "Content Type"="text/html"

        [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm\OpenWithList]

        [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm\OpenWithList\ARACH.EXE]

        [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm\OpenWithList\coffee.exe]

        [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm\OpenWithList\notepad.exe]

        [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm\OpenWithList\fpxpress.exe]

        [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm\OpenWithList\MS-Word-97]

        [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm\OpenWithList\MS-Word-97\shell]

        [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm\OpenWithList\MS-Word-97\shell\edit]

        [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm\OpenWithList\MS-Word-97\shell\edit\command]
        @="\"C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Office\\Office\\winword.exe\" %1"

        [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm\OpenWithList\HTML-Kit]

        [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm\OpenWithList\HTML-Kit\shell]

        [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm\OpenWithList\HTML-Kit\shell\edit]

        [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm\OpenWithList\HTML-Kit\shell\edit\command]
        @="\"C:\\Program Files\\a_Editors\\Chami\\HTML-Kit\\Bin\\HTMLKit.exe\" %1"

        -----

        Regards ... Alec
        > >All that was required was just the name of the .EXE without path
        > <snip>
        > >Considering that I'm just stumbling around in the dark, I think I'll give
        it
        > >a rest for now, before I screw up BIG-TIME
        >
        > Sorry, I wasn't very clear. You have to make it look exactly as the others
        > with sub keys and all. I'll try to list the moves.
        > Let's see, we were at HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT | .htm | OpenWithList
        >
        > Double click "OpenWithList" so it opens.
        >
        > Right click and highlight "OpenWithList" and choose "New Key" from the
        > context menu
        > Name the new key the editor's name for example "notepad" (no .exe).
        >
        > Now rightclick the key you just created ('notepad') and add a new key
        under
        > it and name it "shell".
        >
        > Rightclick "shell" and add a new key under it and name it "edit".
        >
        > Rightclick "edit" and add a new key under it named "command" (boy, this is
        > fun!).
        >
        > Now leftclick once to highlight the "command" key. In the right frame
        > double click on "Default "and as the value enter the full path to your
        > editor followed by "%1".
        > Example: C:\WINDOWS\Notepad.exe %1
        > Note the space between the path and %1.
        >
        > Done! Taa-taa!
        >
        > Lotta

      • Lotta
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 9, 2001
          Hello Alec,

          >I think I followed your directions - but the two I added following them
          >(HTML-kit and Winword) do NOT appear on the Internet Options | Programs |
          >HTML Editor.
          >I'm pasting the Regedit 4 export of the entire .HTM key below after making
          >the changes I "think" you were suggesting. Maybe you can spot something
          >obvious? (I'm using IE5.50SP2 if its relevant)

          I don't know. You could try to play around with the quotes but I don't
          think that matters. For me anything goes.
          I tried to search the web but all articles I found say what you already
          have tried. Then I found a page in Microsoft's knowledge base when I was
          looking for something else. It concerns problems adding Netscape as editor.
          The string has an additional "-edit".

          C:\Program Files\Netscape\Communicator\Program\Netscape.exe -edit %1

          Worth a try? The article is here:
          http://makeashorterlink.com/?K5896231

          Hope it works this time!
          Lotta
        • Alec Burgess
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 9, 2001
            Hi Lotta
            This is truly puzzling. I read the article you quoted (btw: I think it
            probably only applies to Netscape)
            When I went back to InternetTools - Programs - HTML Editor both the editors
            I was trying to make available were there - I hadn't done ANYTHING. Maybe a
            reboot had fixed it - I don't know.

            When I went back with REGEDIT to check the OpenWithList: the extra stuff I
            but in per your suggestions was missing with just a key named after the
            program (HTML-Kit.exe and windword.exe respectively). When I went down to
            the HKCR-Applications key two new keys had been created - you guessed it -
            the content of the keys that had "automagically" changed up in
            .htm-openwithlist had been moved there.

            I can only conclude there is a benevolent genie at work someplace in my
            computer ;==)

            Just for completeness I'll post the extracted keys below - the contents of
            what I had in OpenWithList previous to this mystical intervention are in the
            message you were responding to. (BTW: when I tried to use WORD/97 (ie
            winword.exe) it crashed, but I didn't really want to use it anyway. The five
            editors I did want to be able to use (including NoteTab via a link to
            Notepad) all work perfectly.

            (I do notice that STUFFIT also has a key appearing in HKCR-Applications (I
            'd installed it just before I read your e-mail Lotta; I don't know if maybe
            its installer did the magic - or its just a red herring - WHO CARES - its
            working right now ;---))

            Regards ... Alec
            ======>New contents of HKCR-.htm-OpenWithList===
            REGEDIT4

            [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm\OpenWithList]

            [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm\OpenWithList\ARACH.EXE]

            [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm\OpenWithList\coffee.exe]

            [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm\OpenWithList\notepad.exe]

            [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm\OpenWithList\fpxpress.exe]

            [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm\OpenWithList\winword.exe]

            [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm\OpenWithList\HTMLKit.exe]

            ======>New contents of HKCR-Applications =========
            REGEDIT4

            [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications]

            [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Notepad.exe]

            [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Notepad.exe\shell]
            "FriendlyCache"="Dummy Notepad program"
            "FriendlyCacheCTime"=hex:01,00,00,00,b4,af,bd,70

            [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Notepad.exe\shell\edit]
            @="&Edit"

            [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Notepad.exe\shell\edit\command]
            @="C:\\WIN98\\notepad.exe %1"

            [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\fpxpress.exe]

            [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\fpxpress.exe\shell]
            "FriendlyCache"="Microsoft FrontPage Editor"
            "FriendlyCacheCTime"=hex:01,00,00,00,b4,af,bd,70

            [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\fpxpress.exe\shell\edit]
            @="&Edit"

            [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\fpxpress.exe\shell\edit\command]
            @="C:\\PROGRA~1\\FRONTP~1\\bin\\fpxpress.exe %1"

            [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\msdxm.ocx]
            "NoOpenWith"=""

            [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\iexplore.exe]

            [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\iexplore.exe\shell]

            [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\iexplore.exe\shell\open]

            [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\iexplore.exe\shell\open\command]
            @="\"C:\\PROGRA~1\\INTERN~1\\iexplore.exe\" %1"

            [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\wmplayer.exe]

            [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\wmplayer.exe\shell]
            @="open"
            "FriendlyCache"="Windows Media Player"

            [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\wmplayer.exe\shell\open]
            @="&Open"

            [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\wmplayer.exe\shell\open\command]
            @="C:\\Program Files\\Windows Media Player\\wmplayer.exe /Open \"%L\""

            [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\wmplayer.exe\shell\play]
            @="&Play"

            [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\wmplayer.exe\shell\play\command]
            @="C:\\Program Files\\Windows Media Player\\wmplayer.exe /Play \"%L\""

            [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\wmplayer.exe\DefaultIcon]
            @="C:\\Program Files\\Windows Media Player\\wmplayer.exe,-120"

            [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\WINWORD.EXE]

            [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\WINWORD.EXE\shell]
            "FriendlyCache"="Microsoft Word for Windows® 97"
            "FriendlyCacheCTime"=hex:01,00,00,00,b4,af,bd,70

            [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\WINWORD.EXE\shell\edit]

            [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\WINWORD.EXE\shell\edit\command]
            @="\"C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Office\\Office\\winword.exe\" %1"

            [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\ARACH.EXE]

            [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\ARACH.EXE\shell]
            "FriendlyCache"="Arachnophilia 4.0"
            "FriendlyCacheCTime"=hex:01,00,00,00,b4,af,bd,70

            [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\ARACH.EXE\shell\edit]

            [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\ARACH.EXE\shell\edit\command]
            @="C:\\PROGRAM FILES\\A_EDITORS\\ARACHNOPHILIA\\ARACH.EXE %1"

            [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\coffee.exe]

            [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\coffee.exe\shell]
            "FriendlyCache"="CoffeeCup HTML Editor"
            "FriendlyCacheCTime"=hex:01,00,00,00,b4,af,bd,70

            [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\coffee.exe\shell\edit]
            @="&Edit"

            [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\coffee.exe\shell\edit\command]
            @="\"C:\\PROGRA~1\\A_EDIT~1\\COFFEE~1\\coffee.exe\" \"%1\""

            [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\HTMLKit.exe]

            [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\HTMLKit.exe\shell]
            "FriendlyCache"="HTML-Kit"
            "FriendlyCacheCTime"=hex:01,00,00,00,b4,af,bd,70

            [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\HTMLKit.exe\shell\edit]

            [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\HTMLKit.exe\shell\edit\command]
            @="\"C:\\Program Files\\a_Editors\\Chami\\HTML-Kit\\Bin\\HTMLKit.exe\" %1"

            [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Stuffit Express.exe]

            [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Stuffit Express.exe\shell]
            @="open"
            "FriendlyCache"="Aladdin Stuffit Express (1.0.0d7)"
            "FriendlyCacheCTime"=hex:00,17,93,a5,fa,f2,c0,01

            [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Stuffit Express.exe\shell\open]
            @="&Open with Stuffit Express"

            [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Stuffit Express.exe\shell\open\command]
            @="\"C:\\Program Files\\Aladdin Systems\\StuffIt 7.0\\Stuffit
            Express\\Stuffit Express.exe\" \"%1\\"

            ======= end of Registry extracts ==================
            > >I think I followed your directions - but the two I added following them
            > >(HTML-kit and Winword) do NOT appear on the Internet Options | Programs |
            > >HTML Editor.
            > >I'm pasting the Regedit 4 export of the entire .HTM key below after
            making
            > >the changes I "think" you were suggesting. Maybe you can spot something
            > >obvious? (I'm using IE5.50SP2 if its relevant)
            >

            > I don't know. You could try to play around with the quotes but I don't
            > think that matters. For me anything goes.
            > I tried to search the web but all articles I found say what you already
            > have tried. Then I found a page in Microsoft's knowledge base when I was
            > looking for something else. It concerns problems adding Netscape as
            editor.
            > The string has an additional "-edit".
            >
            > C:\Program Files\Netscape\Communicator\Program\Netscape.exe -edit %1
            >
            > Worth a try? The article is here:
            > http://makeashorterlink.com/?K5896231
            >
            > Hope it works this time!
            > Lotta

          • Lotta
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 10, 2001
              Hello Alec

              >When I went back to InternetTools - Programs - HTML Editor both the editors
              >I was trying to make available were there - I hadn't done ANYTHING. Maybe a
              >reboot had fixed it - I don't know.
              >
              >When I went back with REGEDIT to check the OpenWithList: the extra stuff I
              >but in per your suggestions was missing with just a key named after the
              >program (HTML-Kit.exe and windword.exe respectively). When I went down to
              >the HKCR-Applications key two new keys had been created - you guessed it -
              >the content of the keys that had "automagically" changed up in
              >.htm-openwithlist had been moved there.

              Sounds peculiar indeed. Maybe it's enough to have the key but why wasn't
              you entries saved?
              Ahem, not that it would explain everything but did you restart IE the other
              times? It doesn't take effect before you do. At least not for me.

              >I can only conclude there is a benevolent genie at work someplace in my
              >computer ;==)

              Sure isn't me. :D