Attn: Carpel tunnel folks

  • steveadausa@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 6, 2001
      Hi Everybody,

      I have numb hands and a worn-out elbow due to using
      a mouse for 13 years. Three days ago I bought a pen
      and tablet. "Research" on the internet seemed to say
      that holding a pen to do detail work is a natural
      thing, whereas doing detail work with your shoulder
      muscles (using a mouse) is not good.

      So far, I love the pen (for pointing and clicking) and my arms
      feel great. I hold the pen in one hand, and in the other
      I have a 5 button mouse, for customized commands. My 2
      cents worth.

      http://wacom.com/graphire/index.cfm

      Tab them Notes,

      Steve Adams
    • Marcus
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 6, 2001
        On 06.10.01 at 22:50 steveadausa@... wrote:
        > So far, I love the pen (for pointing and clicking) and my arms
        >feel great. I hold the pen in one hand, and in the other
        >I have a 5 button mouse, for customized commands.

        I switched to a pen and graphic tablet a few years ago and noticed the
        same improvement. I think the angle you sit at is important too. If you
        sit "wrongly" then the pen can also become a problem over time. I guess
        the best thing is to keep moving around because the strain is due to
        repetition (as the name says).

        On that subject, does anybody know where I can get a replacement pen
        for a wacom pad?
        I called wacom and they have a supplier who wants $70 for the pen. That
        sounds a bit much. Can you use another stylus, a generic one from
        somewhere like those universal remote control devices?

        Alternatively, you could help by concentrating some psychic power
        towards finding the stylus I misplaced while moving house :-)

        Marcus
      • toushoes
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 6, 2001
          I saw one sold separately;

          http://www.us.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10300347&hdwt=30806&loc=14617

          @ ]]) Wendy
          @ ]]) aka: Toushoes

          On Sun, 07 Oct 2001 02:55:47 +0200, you wrote:

          >On 06.10.01 at 22:50 steveadausa@... wrote:
          >> So far, I love the pen (for pointing and clicking) and my arms
          >>feel great. I hold the pen in one hand, and in the other
          >>I have a 5 button mouse, for customized commands.
          >
          >I switched to a pen and graphic tablet a few years ago and noticed the
          >same improvement. I think the angle you sit at is important too. If you
          >sit "wrongly" then the pen can also become a problem over time. I guess
          >the best thing is to keep moving around because the strain is due to
          >repetition (as the name says).
          >
          >On that subject, does anybody know where I can get a replacement pen
          >for a wacom pad?
          >I called wacom and they have a supplier who wants $70 for the pen. That
          >sounds a bit much. Can you use another stylus, a generic one from
          >somewhere like those universal remote control devices?
          >
          >Alternatively, you could help by concentrating some psychic power
          >towards finding the stylus I misplaced while moving house :-)
          >
          >Marcus

        • toushoes
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 6, 2001
            I saw the pen sold separately;

            http://www.us.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10300347&hdwt=30806&loc=14617

            On Sun, 07 Oct 2001 02:55:47 +0200, you wrote:

            >On 06.10.01 at 22:50 steveadausa@... wrote:
            >> So far, I love the pen (for pointing and clicking) and my arms
            >>feel great. I hold the pen in one hand, and in the other
            >>I have a 5 button mouse, for customized commands.
            >
            >I switched to a pen and graphic tablet a few years ago and noticed the
            >same improvement. I think the angle you sit at is important too. If you
            >sit "wrongly" then the pen can also become a problem over time. I guess
            >the best thing is to keep moving around because the strain is due to
            >repetition (as the name says).
            >
            >On that subject, does anybody know where I can get a replacement pen
            >for a wacom pad?
            >I called wacom and they have a supplier who wants $70 for the pen. That
            >sounds a bit much. Can you use another stylus, a generic one from
            >somewhere like those universal remote control devices?
            >
            >Alternatively, you could help by concentrating some psychic power
            >towards finding the stylus I misplaced while moving house :-)
            >
            >Marcus

            @ ]]) Wendy
            @ ]]) aka: Toushoes
          • Marcus
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 6, 2001
              On 06.10.01 at 20:23 toushoes wrote:
              >I saw the pen sold separately;
              >
              >http://www.us.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10300347&hdwt=30806&loc=14
              617

              Thanks, it's good to know it's available at a far lower price :-)

              They only ship to the U.S. and UK, but the UK branch doesn't stock the
              pen. Does anybody know of a similar European stockist with reasonable
              prices?

              I discovered that Wacom themselves also ship the pen, but only within
              the U.S.

              Thanks,

              Marcus
            • MCMAIER
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 7, 2001
                As a former c.p. sufferer, I also recommend a gel pad below the keyboard
                which extends to the tablet. Fantastic comfort!
                > I have numb hands and a worn-out elbow due to using
                > a mouse for 13 years. Three days ago I bought a pen
                > and tablet. "Research" on the internet seemed to say
                > that holding a pen to do detail work is a natural
                > thing, whereas doing detail work with your shoulder
                > muscles (using a mouse) is not good.
                >
                > So far, I love the pen (for pointing and clicking) and my arms
                > feel great. I hold the pen in one hand, and in the other
                > I have a 5 button mouse, for customized commands. My 2
                > cents worth.
                >
                > http://wacom.com/graphire/index.cfm
                >
                > Tab them Notes,
                >
                > Steve Adams

              • J.E.HALL
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 7, 2001
                  Hi All,

                  BTDT!!

                  I too recommend the pad but have found that the most significant factor is
                  raising your chair about 4 to 6 inches.

                  It is amazing what that will do for you.

                  Regards,

                  Jim