was ( [NTB] RE: Notetab as IE Editor)

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 6, 2001
      (moved from NTB to Off-Topic - you're welcome Jody;-)
      Hi Mike:

      Mark said:> >I think I saw this here before but I can't find it in my
      > >stuff. Is there a way to add NoteTab to the Edit With...
      > >dropdown box in Internet Explorer's toolbar?

      Mike said >>What you need to do is to go into Tools/Internet
      Options/Programs and
      enter the path and name of the editor you want to use. (ie.
      Notepro.exe)<<

      I've got IE5.50 SP2 --- when I go to >Tools/Internet Options/Programs <
      under the 6 "Internet programs" that can be specified I've got dropdowns
      where I can select programs that have been previously loaded (eg I've got
      Aracnophillia 4.0 as the one and only choice for HTML editor - I "think" it
      must have been put there by its install program). The only program that
      gives me a choice to select from is E-mail where I've got the choice of
      "Outlook Express" or "Hotmail".

      I don't see any place that would allow me to "browse to" or even "copy" or
      (horrors!) type >the path and name of the editor you want to use<.

      What version of IE are you using that gives you the chance to add entries to
      the "drop down". (If it were a CLIP I'd know how to do it ;--)

      Having recently loaded up on HTML-editors way beyond my ability to use them;
      I'd like to be able to select from FrontPageExpress, Aracnophillia, Coffee
      Cup, HTML-Kit AND Notetab until I figure out which ones to turn to first.

      Regards ... Alec
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 6, 2001
          Hi Lotta

          you said:>Run regedit and open HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. Scroll down to .htm. Open
          that folder and then "OpenWithList". There you see all editors you already
          have set to open edit html. Add a new key in the same format as the rest for
          each editor you want. You need the empty sub keys you see for the others<

          All that was required was just the name of the .EXE without path

          Looks like the OpenWithList (at least for extension .htm) gets validated
          against HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications:
          I added :
          coffee.exe (which generated an I/O error #83 whatever that is), fpxpress.exe
          which worked fine,
          notepad.exe (which raised NOTETAB - what I wanted ;=) and
          winword.exe (which did NOT appear in the drop-down when I went back to
          check/change in IE | Tools | Programs | IE-Editor)
          HTMLKit.exe wasn't in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications so I didn't try to add
          it to the OpenWithList

          Considering that I'm just stumbling around in the dark, I think I'll give it
          a rest for now, before I screw up BIG-TIME

          Regards ... Alec
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 7, 2001
              Hi Lotta
              I think I followed your directions - but the two I added following them
              (HTML-kit and Winword) do NOT appear on the Internet Options | Programs |
              HTML Editor.
              I'm pasting the Regedit 4 export of the entire .HTM key below after making
              the changes I "think" you were suggesting. Maybe you can spot something
              obvious? (I'm using IE5.50SP2 if its relevant)
              -----
              REGEDIT4

              [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm]
              @="Opera.HTML"
              "Content Type"="text/html"

              [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm\OpenWithList]

              [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm\OpenWithList\ARACH.EXE]

              [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm\OpenWithList\coffee.exe]

              [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm\OpenWithList\notepad.exe]

              [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm\OpenWithList\fpxpress.exe]

              [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm\OpenWithList\MS-Word-97]

              [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm\OpenWithList\MS-Word-97\shell]

              [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm\OpenWithList\MS-Word-97\shell\edit]

              [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm\OpenWithList\MS-Word-97\shell\edit\command]
              @="\"C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Office\\Office\\winword.exe\" %1"

              [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm\OpenWithList\HTML-Kit]

              [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm\OpenWithList\HTML-Kit\shell]

              [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm\OpenWithList\HTML-Kit\shell\edit]

              [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm\OpenWithList\HTML-Kit\shell\edit\command]
              @="\"C:\\Program Files\\a_Editors\\Chami\\HTML-Kit\\Bin\\HTMLKit.exe\" %1"

              -----

              Regards ... Alec
              > >All that was required was just the name of the .EXE without path
              > <snip>
              > >Considering that I'm just stumbling around in the dark, I think I'll give
              it
              > >a rest for now, before I screw up BIG-TIME
              >
              > Sorry, I wasn't very clear. You have to make it look exactly as the others
              > with sub keys and all. I'll try to list the moves.
              > Let's see, we were at HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT | .htm | OpenWithList
              >
              > Double click "OpenWithList" so it opens.
              >
              > Right click and highlight "OpenWithList" and choose "New Key" from the
              > context menu
              > Name the new key the editor's name for example "notepad" (no .exe).
              >
              > Now rightclick the key you just created ('notepad') and add a new key
              under
              > it and name it "shell".
              >
              > Rightclick "shell" and add a new key under it and name it "edit".
              >
              > Rightclick "edit" and add a new key under it named "command" (boy, this is
              > fun!).
              >
              > Now leftclick once to highlight the "command" key. In the right frame
              > double click on "Default "and as the value enter the full path to your
              > editor followed by "%1".
              > Example: C:\WINDOWS\Notepad.exe %1
              > Note the space between the path and %1.
              >
              > Done! Taa-taa!
              >
              > Lotta

            • Lotta
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 9, 2001
                Hello Alec,

                >I think I followed your directions - but the two I added following them
                >(HTML-kit and Winword) do NOT appear on the Internet Options | Programs |
                >HTML Editor.
                >I'm pasting the Regedit 4 export of the entire .HTM key below after making
                >the changes I "think" you were suggesting. Maybe you can spot something
                >obvious? (I'm using IE5.50SP2 if its relevant)

                I don't know. You could try to play around with the quotes but I don't
                think that matters. For me anything goes.
                I tried to search the web but all articles I found say what you already
                have tried. Then I found a page in Microsoft's knowledge base when I was
                looking for something else. It concerns problems adding Netscape as editor.
                The string has an additional "-edit".

                C:\Program Files\Netscape\Communicator\Program\Netscape.exe -edit %1

                Worth a try? The article is here:
                http://makeashorterlink.com/?K5896231

                Hope it works this time!
                Lotta
              • Alec Burgess
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 9, 2001
                  Hi Lotta
                  This is truly puzzling. I read the article you quoted (btw: I think it
                  probably only applies to Netscape)
                  When I went back to InternetTools - Programs - HTML Editor both the editors
                  I was trying to make available were there - I hadn't done ANYTHING. Maybe a
                  reboot had fixed it - I don't know.

                  When I went back with REGEDIT to check the OpenWithList: the extra stuff I
                  but in per your suggestions was missing with just a key named after the
                  program (HTML-Kit.exe and windword.exe respectively). When I went down to
                  the HKCR-Applications key two new keys had been created - you guessed it -
                  the content of the keys that had "automagically" changed up in
                  .htm-openwithlist had been moved there.

                  I can only conclude there is a benevolent genie at work someplace in my
                  computer ;==)

                  Just for completeness I'll post the extracted keys below - the contents of
                  what I had in OpenWithList previous to this mystical intervention are in the
                  message you were responding to. (BTW: when I tried to use WORD/97 (ie
                  winword.exe) it crashed, but I didn't really want to use it anyway. The five
                  editors I did want to be able to use (including NoteTab via a link to
                  Notepad) all work perfectly.

                  (I do notice that STUFFIT also has a key appearing in HKCR-Applications (I
                  'd installed it just before I read your e-mail Lotta; I don't know if maybe
                  its installer did the magic - or its just a red herring - WHO CARES - its
                  working right now ;---))

                  Regards ... Alec
                  ======>New contents of HKCR-.htm-OpenWithList===
                  REGEDIT4

                  [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm\OpenWithList]

                  [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm\OpenWithList\ARACH.EXE]

                  [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm\OpenWithList\coffee.exe]

                  [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm\OpenWithList\notepad.exe]

                  [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm\OpenWithList\fpxpress.exe]

                  [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm\OpenWithList\winword.exe]

                  [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm\OpenWithList\HTMLKit.exe]

                  ======>New contents of HKCR-Applications =========
                  REGEDIT4

                  [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications]

                  [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Notepad.exe]

                  [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Notepad.exe\shell]
                  "FriendlyCache"="Dummy Notepad program"
                  "FriendlyCacheCTime"=hex:01,00,00,00,b4,af,bd,70

                  [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Notepad.exe\shell\edit]
                  @="&Edit"

                  [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Notepad.exe\shell\edit\command]
                  @="C:\\WIN98\\notepad.exe %1"

                  [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\fpxpress.exe]

                  [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\fpxpress.exe\shell]
                  "FriendlyCache"="Microsoft FrontPage Editor"
                  "FriendlyCacheCTime"=hex:01,00,00,00,b4,af,bd,70

                  [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\fpxpress.exe\shell\edit]
                  @="&Edit"

                  [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\fpxpress.exe\shell\edit\command]
                  @="C:\\PROGRA~1\\FRONTP~1\\bin\\fpxpress.exe %1"

                  [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\msdxm.ocx]
                  "NoOpenWith"=""

                  [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\iexplore.exe]

                  [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\iexplore.exe\shell]

                  [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\iexplore.exe\shell\open]

                  [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\iexplore.exe\shell\open\command]
                  @="\"C:\\PROGRA~1\\INTERN~1\\iexplore.exe\" %1"

                  [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\wmplayer.exe]

                  [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\wmplayer.exe\shell]
                  @="open"
                  "FriendlyCache"="Windows Media Player"

                  [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\wmplayer.exe\shell\open]
                  @="&Open"

                  [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\wmplayer.exe\shell\open\command]
                  @="C:\\Program Files\\Windows Media Player\\wmplayer.exe /Open \"%L\""

                  [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\wmplayer.exe\shell\play]
                  @="&Play"

                  [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\wmplayer.exe\shell\play\command]
                  @="C:\\Program Files\\Windows Media Player\\wmplayer.exe /Play \"%L\""

                  [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\wmplayer.exe\DefaultIcon]
                  @="C:\\Program Files\\Windows Media Player\\wmplayer.exe,-120"

                  [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\WINWORD.EXE]

                  [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\WINWORD.EXE\shell]
                  "FriendlyCache"="Microsoft Word for Windows® 97"
                  "FriendlyCacheCTime"=hex:01,00,00,00,b4,af,bd,70

                  [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\WINWORD.EXE\shell\edit]

                  [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\WINWORD.EXE\shell\edit\command]
                  @="\"C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Office\\Office\\winword.exe\" %1"

                  [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\ARACH.EXE]

                  [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\ARACH.EXE\shell]
                  "FriendlyCache"="Arachnophilia 4.0"
                  "FriendlyCacheCTime"=hex:01,00,00,00,b4,af,bd,70

                  [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\ARACH.EXE\shell\edit]

                  [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\ARACH.EXE\shell\edit\command]
                  @="C:\\PROGRAM FILES\\A_EDITORS\\ARACHNOPHILIA\\ARACH.EXE %1"

                  [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\coffee.exe]

                  [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\coffee.exe\shell]
                  "FriendlyCache"="CoffeeCup HTML Editor"
                  "FriendlyCacheCTime"=hex:01,00,00,00,b4,af,bd,70

                  [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\coffee.exe\shell\edit]
                  @="&Edit"

                  [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\coffee.exe\shell\edit\command]
                  @="\"C:\\PROGRA~1\\A_EDIT~1\\COFFEE~1\\coffee.exe\" \"%1\""

                  [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\HTMLKit.exe]

                  [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\HTMLKit.exe\shell]
                  "FriendlyCache"="HTML-Kit"
                  "FriendlyCacheCTime"=hex:01,00,00,00,b4,af,bd,70

                  [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\HTMLKit.exe\shell\edit]

                  [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\HTMLKit.exe\shell\edit\command]
                  @="\"C:\\Program Files\\a_Editors\\Chami\\HTML-Kit\\Bin\\HTMLKit.exe\" %1"

                  [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Stuffit Express.exe]

                  [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Stuffit Express.exe\shell]
                  @="open"
                  "FriendlyCache"="Aladdin Stuffit Express (1.0.0d7)"
                  "FriendlyCacheCTime"=hex:00,17,93,a5,fa,f2,c0,01

                  [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Stuffit Express.exe\shell\open]
                  @="&Open with Stuffit Express"

                  [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Stuffit Express.exe\shell\open\command]
                  @="\"C:\\Program Files\\Aladdin Systems\\StuffIt 7.0\\Stuffit
                  Express\\Stuffit Express.exe\" \"%1\\"

                  ======= end of Registry extracts ==================
                  > >I think I followed your directions - but the two I added following them
                  > >(HTML-kit and Winword) do NOT appear on the Internet Options | Programs |
                  > >HTML Editor.
                  > >I'm pasting the Regedit 4 export of the entire .HTM key below after
                  making
                  > >the changes I "think" you were suggesting. Maybe you can spot something
                  > >obvious? (I'm using IE5.50SP2 if its relevant)
                  >

                  > I don't know. You could try to play around with the quotes but I don't
                  > think that matters. For me anything goes.
                  > I tried to search the web but all articles I found say what you already
                  > have tried. Then I found a page in Microsoft's knowledge base when I was
                  > looking for something else. It concerns problems adding Netscape as
                  editor.
                  > The string has an additional "-edit".
                  >
                  > C:\Program Files\Netscape\Communicator\Program\Netscape.exe -edit %1
                  >
                  > Worth a try? The article is here:
                  > http://makeashorterlink.com/?K5896231
                  >
                  > Hope it works this time!
                  > Lotta

                • Lotta
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 10, 2001
                    Hello Alec

                    >When I went back to InternetTools - Programs - HTML Editor both the editors
                    >I was trying to make available were there - I hadn't done ANYTHING. Maybe a
                    >reboot had fixed it - I don't know.
                    >
                    >When I went back with REGEDIT to check the OpenWithList: the extra stuff I
                    >but in per your suggestions was missing with just a key named after the
                    >program (HTML-Kit.exe and windword.exe respectively). When I went down to
                    >the HKCR-Applications key two new keys had been created - you guessed it -
                    >the content of the keys that had "automagically" changed up in
                    >.htm-openwithlist had been moved there.

                    Sounds peculiar indeed. Maybe it's enough to have the key but why wasn't
                    you entries saved?
                    Ahem, not that it would explain everything but did you restart IE the other
                    times? It doesn't take effect before you do. At least not for me.

                    >I can only conclude there is a benevolent genie at work someplace in my
                    >computer ;==)

                    Sure isn't me. :D