Re: [NTO] IE 6.0

  • tenu@sci.fi
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 4, 2001
      --- In ntb-OffTopic@y..., Scott Fordin <sfordin@o...> wrote:
      > Remember, IE 6.0 does not provide "out of the box" support
      > Java or Javascript. Theoretically, you can download and
      > install your own Java implementation (for example, the one
      > from Sun), but it's not clear that IE plays well with Java
      > even then. Microsoft wants to kill Java, so don't count on
      > good compatibility there. Use Opera 5.12 or Netscape 6.1
      > instead...

      Don't forget Mozilla. The one thing I dislike in Opera is
      disabling of "back" button, and it still has problems with
      table layout.

      I switched to NS 6.1 from 4.78, 6.1 is much more stable with
      JavaScript even if it has it's rendering problems. It needs
      to be noted that 4.78 works just fine with legal JavaScript,
      but there are many pages only tested with IE's buggy JScript
      implementation.

      When in hurry, use Lynx - it's the fastest one if you know
      you can access the needed data with it.

      Jorma
    • Scott Fordin
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 5, 2001
        At 06:39 10/5/2001 +0000, you wrote:
        >Don't forget Mozilla. The one thing I dislike in Opera is
        >disabling of "back" button, and it still has problems with
        >table layout.

        I'm not sure what you mean by disabling the back button.
        Opera has a back button -- just press Z to go back (or X
        to go forward). Opera 5.12 also supports "mouse gestures,"
        which means that holding down the right mouse button and
        giving a little twitch to the left or right navigates
        back or forward, respectively. It's pretty cool, but none
        of the browsers can do it.

        I've found that tables aren't an issue, but some other
        structurally non-compliant pages can be a problem. Not
        many, but some. In such cases, I change the "Identify
        Opera As" option so it looks like Netscape or IE to the
        nasty site, and things usually work fine. It's a very
        small percentage of pages that cause real trouble for
        Opera, and in those rare cases I use either Netscape
        (6.1 is nice) or Enigma Gold 4.5. I try to avoid IE
        because my system seems to act flaky after I launch it,
        and I don't want site statistics to count yet another
        IE user, which in turn might encourage the site owners
        to write IE-specific pages.

        Regards,

        Scott
      • tenu@sci.fi
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 7, 2001
          --- In ntb-OffTopic@y..., Scott Fordin <sfordin@o...> wrote:
          > At 06:39 10/5/2001 +0000, you wrote:
          > >Don't forget Mozilla. The one thing I dislike in Opera is
          > >disabling of "back" button

          > I'm not sure what you mean by disabling the back button.

          My bad. I just installed Opera 5.12 at hoem and it works
          fine. I have to re-install it on my work machine to see
          if the problem disappears.

          Jorma
        • tenu@sci.fi
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 10, 2001
            --- In ntb-OffTopic@y..., tenu@s... wrote:

            > > I'm not sure what you mean by disabling the back button.
            >
            > My bad. I just installed Opera 5.12 at home and it works
            > fine. I have to re-install it on my work machine to see
            > if the problem disappears.

            Re-installing didn't do the trick - making window history
            bigger than 0 lines did. I have no faintest idea why it
            was 0 lines, even after re-install.

            I usually have one exploder window (for checking pages that
            were made by people not caring about other browsers) and
            three Netscrape windows - I'll try using Opera instead of
            NS to remove clutter in my taskbar.

            Jorma

            Jorma