Re: [NTO] IE 6.0

  • Jerry Treece
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 4, 2001
      I was using IE 6.0 and found that it had problems with some javascript pages. I had to switch back to 5.5 because I could use certain web apps that I needed. I didn't keep it long enough to notice the stability problems.

      >>> <mikew@...> 10/3/01 6:02:43 PM >>>
      I recently switched to IE 6.0 because some of my clients did. It's an
      OK update, but I have had terrible stability problems. I have never
      had a program crash as often as it does, despite MS claiming it
      has "unprecedented stability." I'm using Win98 and do not appear to
      have problems with any other program.

      Does anyone know if MS is taking any action?

      Thanks,

      Mike Wilkinson

    • Scott Fordin
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 4, 2001
        Remember, IE 6.0 does not provide "out of the box" support
        Java or Javascript. Theoretically, you can download and
        install your own Java implementation (for example, the one
        from Sun), but it's not clear that IE plays well with Java
        even then. Microsoft wants to kill Java, so don't count on
        good compatibility there. Use Opera 5.12 or Netscape 6.1
        instead...

        Regards,

        Scott

      • tenu@sci.fi
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 4, 2001
          --- In ntb-OffTopic@y..., Scott Fordin <sfordin@o...> wrote:
          > Remember, IE 6.0 does not provide "out of the box" support
          > Java or Javascript. Theoretically, you can download and
          > install your own Java implementation (for example, the one
          > from Sun), but it's not clear that IE plays well with Java
          > even then. Microsoft wants to kill Java, so don't count on
          > good compatibility there. Use Opera 5.12 or Netscape 6.1
          > instead...

          Don't forget Mozilla. The one thing I dislike in Opera is
          disabling of "back" button, and it still has problems with
          table layout.

          I switched to NS 6.1 from 4.78, 6.1 is much more stable with
          JavaScript even if it has it's rendering problems. It needs
          to be noted that 4.78 works just fine with legal JavaScript,
          but there are many pages only tested with IE's buggy JScript
          implementation.

          When in hurry, use Lynx - it's the fastest one if you know
          you can access the needed data with it.

          Jorma
        • Scott Fordin
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 5, 2001
            At 06:39 10/5/2001 +0000, you wrote:
            >Don't forget Mozilla. The one thing I dislike in Opera is
            >disabling of "back" button, and it still has problems with
            >table layout.

            I'm not sure what you mean by disabling the back button.
            Opera has a back button -- just press Z to go back (or X
            to go forward). Opera 5.12 also supports "mouse gestures,"
            which means that holding down the right mouse button and
            giving a little twitch to the left or right navigates
            back or forward, respectively. It's pretty cool, but none
            of the browsers can do it.

            I've found that tables aren't an issue, but some other
            structurally non-compliant pages can be a problem. Not
            many, but some. In such cases, I change the "Identify
            Opera As" option so it looks like Netscape or IE to the
            nasty site, and things usually work fine. It's a very
            small percentage of pages that cause real trouble for
            Opera, and in those rare cases I use either Netscape
            (6.1 is nice) or Enigma Gold 4.5. I try to avoid IE
            because my system seems to act flaky after I launch it,
            and I don't want site statistics to count yet another
            IE user, which in turn might encourage the site owners
            to write IE-specific pages.

            Regards,

            Scott
          • tenu@sci.fi
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 7, 2001
              --- In ntb-OffTopic@y..., Scott Fordin <sfordin@o...> wrote:
              > At 06:39 10/5/2001 +0000, you wrote:
              > >Don't forget Mozilla. The one thing I dislike in Opera is
              > >disabling of "back" button

              > I'm not sure what you mean by disabling the back button.

              My bad. I just installed Opera 5.12 at hoem and it works
              fine. I have to re-install it on my work machine to see
              if the problem disappears.

              Jorma
            • tenu@sci.fi
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 10, 2001
                --- In ntb-OffTopic@y..., tenu@s... wrote:

                > > I'm not sure what you mean by disabling the back button.
                >
                > My bad. I just installed Opera 5.12 at home and it works
                > fine. I have to re-install it on my work machine to see
                > if the problem disappears.

                Re-installing didn't do the trick - making window history
                bigger than 0 lines did. I have no faintest idea why it
                was 0 lines, even after re-install.

                I usually have one exploder window (for checking pages that
                were made by people not caring about other browsers) and
                three Netscrape windows - I'll try using Opera instead of
                NS to remove clutter in my taskbar.

                Jorma

                Jorma