Re: [NTO] Reformatted hard drive

  • DA
    Message 1 of 3 , May 3, 2000
      Raenie,

      If you want to use all FAT drives, create 3 more 2 gig logical
      drives then format them. You will then have drives D, E and F in
      addition to C. They are physically on the same 8.4 gig hard
      drive, so they are called "logical" drives. These were required
      because of the inability of the earlier operating systems to
      address more than 2 gigs on a drive.

      If you are using Win98, I would suggest making the entire
      remaining 6 gigs into one FAT32 drive. I would have to look up
      some stuff to tell you how to do this, so that is all I can say.

      You might also check to see what drive types Mandrake Linux
      supports before continuing.

      DA

      Message 2 of 3 , May 3, 2000
        Hi DA & Raenie,

        > If you are using Win98, I would suggest making the entire
        > remaining 6 gigs into one FAT32 drive. I would have to look up
        > some stuff to tell you how to do this, so that is all I can say.

        Just type in fat32 in Windows Help and there are about a three
        topics to read and a link to start the convertor. It takes quite
        awhile so plan on doing it when you have some other things to do.
        I would suggest that the other things be in the house so you can
        check on it for error messages, etc. Nothing I hate more that to
        do a 3 hour thing and leave the house thinking it will be done
        when I get back only to find a message saying "Are you sure?"
        when I get back. ARGH! :)

        mailto:ntb-OffTopic@egroups.com-Subscribe@...
      • Lawrence M Hamilton, Jr.
        Message 3 of 3 , May 3, 2000
          Hi Raenie,

          On Wed, 03 May 2000 04:00:20 -0000 sav_one@... writes:
          > Hello everyone,

          > Edition", I managed to figure out how to 'Format my hard disk'.
          > Well, sort of................
          >
          > I managed to create a 'primary' DOS partition using FDISK. (25% of
          > system storage) I also have an extended DOS partition (75% of system
          > storage).
          >
          > I've managed to load my Win95 and then my Win98 update programs. My
          > IE4 browser which was on one of the disks is working and I have
          > Internet access.

          GREAT! That can be a major challenge in itself!

          > My major problem is that I have no idea how to access or use the
          > 'extended' partition. Also, I don't know what 'Logical Drives'
          > would do for me?! or how they would be accessed and used.
          >
          > I was hoping to partition my drive and try to install Mandrake Linux
          > operating system. (maybe I should hold off on that <groan> ;-))
          >
          > My book doesn't explain what to do with the partitions or logical
          > drives, once I've created them. I'm pretty limited in working with
          > DOS (I understand the basics, but don't have a decent book which
          > explains how/what I should do.)
          >
          > My other problem is that I can't figure out which 'drivers' my
          > system needs. I have all of the disks which Gateway sent me, but they
          have

          > multiple choices.
          >
          > Ugh, boy that sounds really dumb....
          >
          > Can anyone give me some advice?

          Don't feel bad. I think a lot of us have learned this in the "been there
          done that" school.

          Win95/98 has tools to help you figure out what your hardware is and what
          drivers you need. Once you get everything working, it has a report it can
          print out with all the detailed information on your system. I do not use
          Linux, but have looked into it, you will need the information in this
          report to configure Linux, since it requires the user to input it. The
          report is under My computer, just right-click on my computer, left-click
          on properties, choose the Device Manager Tab and click the print button.
          If you see a red x or a yellow !, it indicates a problem, you can then
          highlight it and click the properties button.

          Keeping records of your system drivers, etc., will save you these
          headaches next time. I say next time, because there almost always is.

          As all of us have or will, you have learned a lot about your computer
          that will help you with future problems.

          HTH,

          Larry Hamilton, Jr. lmhamilton@...
          http://www.HamiltonGenSociety.org/
          My Web Site: http://notlimaH.tripod.com