Re: [NTO] NetCaptor Goodies

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 3, 2001
      Hi David

      >>Thank you for the link to get NetCaptor and the $10.00 coupon.

      >I'd appreciate some tips/tricks also. Jody, you're seasoned.
      >What d'ya say?

      Actually, the main purpose I use it for is the multiple tabs so
      that I can click links staying on the same page but having the
      links open in other tabs. I've found to only do 5-8 at a time
      though else you start getting links not found. I think that has
      to do with Windows, your connect, and how many connects you allow
      at a time. I forgot where that option is, it is not in NC
      though.

      To change locations of the ToolBars hold your mouse over the
      vertical line on the left of the ToolBar/address bar, etc. till
      the cursor changes to <---> and then drag/drop.

      I think it is Julie that likes the "locked tab" feature (right
      click on tab). I set all my options possible to open pages in
      new tabs keeping the focused page in focus, but you can change
      that. I have used to popup thing to catch the ads like at
      geocities, etc. so that you do not get them. Normally, I'm
      travelling at about 120 Klicks, so I don't mess with a lot of
      stuff.

    • Julie
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 3, 2001
        you wrote:

        >I think it is Julie that likes the "locked tab" feature (right
        >click on tab). I set all my options possible to open pages in
        >new tabs keeping the focused page in focus, but you can change
        >that. I have used to popup thing to catch the ads like at
        >geocities, etc. so that you do not get them. Normally, I'm
        >travelling at about 120 Klicks, so I don't mess with a lot of
        >stuff.

        Yes :-)?

        My favorite features of NetCaptor...

        I save various Yahoo Groups I'm subscribed to as "nomail" into
        CaptorGroups. I'll lock the tabs, so when I click on selected messages
        they'll open in new windows. It's also a great way to read a YahooGroup on
        the web when you've searched the archives. Lock the tab, and when you click
        on search results they'll open in new windows. I also have CaptorGroups set
        up for various news sources I like to skim, for devotionals, for book
        sites, for my webpages, etc. The possibilities are endless.

        The "alias" feature, which allows you to create your own shortcuts for
        pages you open frequently, is pretty neat (I've been using the Drudge
        Report shortcut a lot lately!), as well as the QuickSearch which allows the
        user to create custom shortcuts that can be used to initiate searches
        directly from the address bar. (My daughter especially likes the one I
        created for dictionary.com which lets you type "d prestidigitation" and
        figure out what prestidigitation means <G>.)

        Just the fact that you can open a new browser window and the focus can be
        set to stay in the old window is enough for me. IE and Netscape don't let
        you do that! The focus automatically jumps!

        Julie
      • David Talbott
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 5, 2001
          Julie and Jody,

          Thanks for the recent tips. You've helped with the learning curve.
          I like the popup control. That's always been a peeve with me.

          Jody wrote:
          >............ other tabs. I've found to only do 5-8 at a time
          >though else you start getting links not found. I think that has
          >to do with Windows, your connect, and how many connects you allow
          >at a time. I forgot where that option is, it is not in NC
          >though.

          I also found this to be true, and figured it was NC choking.

          - David T.
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 6, 2001
            Hi David,

            >> I've found to only do 5-8 at a time though else you start
            >> getting links not found. I think that has to do with Windows,
            >> your connect, and how many connects you allow at a time. I
            >> forgot where that option is, it is not in NC though.

            >I also found this to be true, and figured it was NC choking.

            Try the same with IE. Hold down the Ctrl key and keep clicking on a bunch of links, perhaps it is the Shift key that opens more windows when clicking is done.