Re: [NTO] Flash, Audio, Active X-Controls, Java, & Microsoft

  • Stefan Elssner
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2001
      Hi Jody, and all,

      On Mon, 24 Sep 2001 05:14:03 -0500, Jody wrote:

      >Hi Scott & Stefan & Others,
      >
      >If you guys would like to get a class action law suit going
      >... ... ..
      >Stefan wrote:
      >
      >>> MS no longer supports the standard for Netscape plug-ins
      >>> (Flash, Audio) and requires Active X-Controls. Don't ask me
      >Scott Wrote:
      >
      >>The sad thing is that Microsoft, in their quest to rule the world
      >>even more -- specifically, to make the Internet Microsoft only,

      I think I would be very proud to stand with you against what bad thing
      ever! :-)

      Nevertheless, here are some facts:

      The paragraphs Jody cited wasn't written by me, it was Rudolf's reply
      to my complaint about not being able to download the slipstream
      release from the notetab sites using my IE5(.0).

      There was a reply from Eric Fookes, asking that it looks more like a
      particular problem of my configuration, since he don't use any plugins
      or the like on the downloadpages.

      Also no other problem reports seem to has occured.

      I had the same problem just yesterday with an automatic download
      redirection from www.activestate.com (the makers of ActivePerl, a very
      good Perl for Win32 distribution, useful with NoteTab, BTW :-)

      So I'm very sure now that the problem is on my site, not anywhere.

      I will check my configuration, then.

      ---

      I have no reports about sites no longer working with MS browsers up to
      now.

      Anyway as stated above, I would be proud...

      Peacefully,
      Stefan

      --
      stefan elssner --- mailto:elssner@...

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 6, 2001
        Hi Stefan and Others,

        I've had a German site that has virus protectors running on (I
        think the downloads) that reports a virus on our links). Other
        than that, I am getting a few support posts where people are
        having a hard time downloading. I suspect that the problem may
        be due to traffic because we are getting hit hard due to our new
        release mailing list (having all our recent upgrades) and
        possibly IE6, but I have not confirmed the latter. Probably just
        wishful thinking on my part. <g> Not really though, Eric can fix
        a problem much faster than M$ can and IE having problems effects
        us a lot.

        >>Hi Scott & Stefan & Others,
        >>
        >>If you guys would like to get a class action law suit going
        >>... ... ..

        >>Scott Wrote:
        >>
        >>>The sad thing is that Microsoft, in their quest to rule the world
        >>>even more -- specifically, to make the Internet Microsoft only,
        >

        >I think I would be very proud to stand with you against what bad thing
        >ever! :-)
        >
        >Nevertheless, here are some facts:
        >
        >The paragraphs Jody cited wasn't written by me, it was Rudolf's reply
        >to my complaint about not being able to download the slipstream
        >release from the notetab sites using my IE5(.0).
        >
        >There was a reply from Eric Fookes, asking that it looks more like a
        >particular problem of my configuration, since he don't use any plugins
        >or the like on the downloadpages.
        >
        >Also no other problem reports seem to has occured.
        >
        >I had the same problem just yesterday with an automatic download
        >redirection from www.activestate.com (the makers of ActivePerl, a very
        >good Perl for Win32 distribution, useful with NoteTab, BTW :-)
        >
        >So I'm very sure now that the problem is on my site, not anywhere.
        >
        >I will check my configuration, then.
        >
        >---
        >
        >I have no reports about sites no longer working with MS browsers up to
        >now.
        >
        >Anyway as stated above, I would be proud...
        >

        >Peacefully,
        >Stefan

      • Marcus
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 6, 2001
          On 07.10.01 at 01:02 Jody wrote:
          >I've had a German site that has virus protectors running on (I
          >think the downloads) that reports a virus on our links).

          Do you compress the .exe file with something like UPX or Petite ?
          I've heard that can cause some virus checkers to react.

          I downloaded the NTB upgrade yesterday without any problems. I used IE
          5.5 with Gozilla.

          Marcus
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 6, 2001
            Hi Marcus,

            >On 07.10.01 at 01:02 Jody wrote:
            >>I've had a German site that has virus protectors running on (I
            >>think the downloads) that reports a virus on our links).
            >
            >Do you compress the .exe file with something like UPX or Petite ?
            >I've heard that can cause some virus checkers to react.

            We use to and I think Eric just used it again for NoteTab Tiny.
            ;) But, that is the installed executable and not the installation
            program as in the downloaded file.

            >I downloaded the NTB upgrade yesterday without any problems. I used IE
            >5.5 with Gozilla.

            Thanks - could just be heavy traffic.

            Bye for now,
            Jody Adair
            Prov. 3:5-7; 4:23

            http://www.purewords.org/sojourner
            http://www.purewords.org/kjb1611
            http://www.notetab.net
          • Marcus
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 7, 2001
              On 07.10.01 at 01:53 Jody wrote:
              >>Do you compress the .exe file with something like UPX or Petite ?
              >>I've heard that can cause some virus checkers to react.
              >
              >We use to and I think Eric just used it again for NoteTab Tiny.
              >;) But, that is the installed executable and not the installation
              >program as in the downloaded file.

              True, but virus checkers also read inside the .exe or .zip packages, so
              it may still find the actual program .exe within in the installation
              package.

              Could it be that the download site which is complaining is detecting
              the compressed .exe of NoteTab Tiny?

              Marcus
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 8, 2001
                Hi Marcus,

                >> We use to and I think Eric just used it again for NoteTab Tiny.
                >> ;) But, that is the installed executable and not the
                >> installation program as in the downloaded file.
                >
                >True, but virus checkers also read inside the .exe or .zip
                >packages, so it may still find the actual program .exe within in
                >the installation package.
                >
                >Could it be that the download site which is complaining is
                >detecting the compressed .exe of NoteTab Tiny?

                No, but things have settled down now. I always get a bit
                concerned when new releases come out. I think most down load
                problems are due to a swapped (hit hard) server.

                Thanks!
                Jody

                Clean-Funnies: click and send...
                mailto:c-f@...?subject=Subscribe