Re: [NTO] Hard Drive Problems

  • Harvey R. Savage
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 26, 2000
      Hi Lawrence,

      Have you checked for a CMOS battery? If it has one and, if it's
      dead, you have nothing but trouble.

      hrs

      Lawrence M Hamilton Jr wrote:

      > Hi Gang!
      >
      > I have tried formatting it, and chkdsk, and scandisk, and defrag, and
      > many things.
      >
      > If I boot from a floppy with DOS 6.22, it cannot even see the hard drive.
      > If I boot from a Win 95 floppy it can see the hard drive, but I get
      > Abort, Retray, Fail on many commands. But some of them work.
      >
      > Also the CMOS settings keep getting lost. Sometimes it keeps them and
      > other times it does not. Is the CMOS being bad able to cause the other
      > problems with the drive?
      >
      > It came with a Utilities disk with a low level format utility. Since it
      > had a problem, I think that means the hard drive is gone.
      >
      > I tried a partition manager off the web, and it did not see the disk.
      > Format c: /mbr, gave a message of "invalid command".
      >
      > Is there anything I can do, short of using it as a DOS only from floppy,
      > or as a paperweight? I have not had time to try Samsung's Web Site. I
      > doubt that kind of drive is made, so I may only be able to get it to work
      > if I can find another old PC that has a good hard drive.
      >
      > I did not want to spend too much time on it, but thought it was worth a
      > shot.
      >
      > TIA,
      >
      > Larry Hamilton, Jr. lmhamilton@...
      > Hamilton National Genealogical Society, Inc.
      > http://www.HamiltonGenSociety.org/
      > My Web Site: http://notlimaH.tripod.com

      > Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
      > http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

      ¿? Harvey R. Savage
      ¿? 40 Golf Course Road
      ¿? Eldorado, IL 62930
      ¿? 618-273-5003
      ¿? icq 21106393
      ¿? hsavage@...
      ¿? (ktcalci)
    • Bob Janes
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 27, 2000
        Hi Larry,

        > It has 4 MB Ram, I remember when that was a lot!, and a 117 MB Hard
        > Drive. My problem is that the hard drive appears to be toast.

        Sounds to me like the CMOS battery has run down and you've lost the settings
        for the hard drive. (The CMOS holds the information on how the hard drive is
        formatted in terms of cylinders, platters, heads, etc.) I had this happen
        once with similar symptoms and trashed the data on the hard drive before I
        worked out what had happened.

        If this is the problem then the cure is to replace the CMOS battery, later
        ones are clip in, some early ones are soldered -- all are replaceable. Boot
        from a floppy, enter the CMOS set-up (sometimes easier said than done) and
        re-set the hard disk parameters to match up with your disk. Sometimes the
        parameters are printed on the disk, sometimes on a scrap of paper that's
        long since lost -- in the latter case you could try Samsung with the drive
        model number, or better go to your local PC store and buy a replacement
        (probably bigger) HDD for a few dollars.

        Best wishes

        Bob

        --

        Bob Janes
        Webster & Janes Ltd
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 27, 2000
          Hi Larry,

          If you have to reset the time and date everytime you power up the computer then the battery on the motherboard needs replacing and it will not remember your BIOS setup (the type of hard drive you have etc).

          To get to the BIOS (NVR Non Volatile Ram) settings on that vintage you might have to run a NVRsetup.EXE or something similar

          If pressing DEL at bootup don't work try one of these:

          F1 thru F4
          Shift + F1 thru F4
          Ctrl+ F1 thru F4

          for more info check out these sites

          http://www.sosimple.com/service/bbs.htm

          http://www.driverguide.com/boards/samsung/index.htm

          http://www.ncsc.dni.us/fun/user/tcc/cmuseum/helpline/cartman.htm

          Run FDISK AND check out your partitions see below

          TECHNICAL NOTE
          RE: HARD DRIVES LARGER THAN 528 MILLION BYTES

          BEFORE BEGINNING YOUR HARD DRIVE INSTALLATION, YOU WILL
          NEED TO VERIFY WHETHER OR NOT YOUR CMOS SETTINGS POSSESS
          THE LBA (LOGICAL BLOCK ADDRESSING) OPTION (CONTACT YOUR
          COMPUTER'S MANUFACTURER OR DEALER). IF THE COPYRIGHT OF
          YOUR BIOS IS OLDER THAN 1994, IT IS LIKELY THAT YOU DO NOT
          HAVE LBA. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE LBA, YOU WILL NEED THE DISK
          MANAGER PROGRAM. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE DISK MANAGER, CALL
          (800)446-0262 AND A COPY OF DISK MANAGER FOR SAMSUNG HARD
          DRIVES WILL BE PROVIDED AT YOUR REQUEST. YOU WILL NEED
          TO ENABLE LBA OR RUN DISK MANAGER IN ORDER TO SEE THE FULL
          CAPACITY OF YOUR NEW HARD DRIVE!

          IF DRIVE HAS ALREADY BEEN FORMATTED TO 528 MEGABYTES:

          A) RUN DISK MANAGER

          OR

          B) FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS BELOW

          1) Check for correct cylinders heads and sectors. Enable LBA in CMOS.
          2) Run FDISK option 4 to display partition information. Make
          sure that drive is at the correct capacity and showing 100%
          usage.
          3) If CMOS settings are correct but FDISK shows a drive
          capacity of 504Mb or less, you will need to delete all pre-
          existing partitions by running FDISK option #3..
          4) After verifying that no partitions exist (FDISK option
          #4), type FDISK/MBR from a DOS prompt. If there is a "Cannot
          write to boot sector" or similar error message before returning
          to your DOS prompt, disable "BOOT SECTOR PROTECT" in your CMOS.
          Then try again.
          5) FDISK and create primary DOS partition. After verifying
          the correct capacity via FDISK option 4, format your hard
          drive.

          NOTE: MEGABYTES = MILLIONS OF BYTES/1024/1024

          Try the settings for a 105MB or a 120MB drive

          Samsung Hard Disk Paramaters Quick Reference Guide

          Ú MODEL CAPACITY CYLINDERS HEADS SECTORS AVG SEEK TRANSFER TYPE ÄÄÄÄ¿
          SHD-2040N 43MB 820 4 26 39ms 7.5MB/sec ST-506/412
          SHD-2041B 47MB 900 6 17 25ms IDE
          SHD-3061A 60MB 977 7 17 16ms 6MB/sec IDE
          SHD-3062A 120MB 917 or 927 15 17 16ms 6MB/sec IDE
          SHD-3101A 105MB 776 8 33 16ms 6MB/sec IDE
          SHD-3121A 125MB 615 16 25 16ms 8MB/sec IDE
          SHD-3122A 251MB 937 15 35 16ms 8MB/sec IDE
          SHD-3122S 250MB SCSI
          SHD-3171A 178MB 968 8 45 13ms 8MB/sec IDE
          SHD-3172A 356MB 968 16 45 13ms 8MB/sec IDE
          SHD-3172S 350MB SCSI
          SHD-3201S 212MB 1376 7 43 16ms SCSI
          SHD-3202S 212MB 1376 7 43 16ms SCSI
          SHD-3211A 213MB 1002 8 52 13ms 8MB/sec IDE
          SHD-3212A 426MB 1002 16 52 13ms 8MB/sec IDE
          SHD-3281A 280MB IDE
          SHD-3281S 280MB SCSI
          SHD-3282A 560MB IDE
          SHD-3282S 560MB SCSI
          SHD-30280A 280MB 869 10 63 12ms 11MB/sec EIDE
          SHD-30420A 420MB 856 16 60 12ms 11MB/sec EIDE
          SHD-30560A 560MB 1024 Ä¿ 16 63 12ms 11MB/sec EIDE
          ÀÄ 1086 w/Enhanced IDE controller or LBA
          PLS-30424A 420MB? 823 16 63 11ms 11MB/sec EIDE
          PLS-30540A 540MB 11ms 11MB/sec EIDE
          PLS-30730A 730MB 11ms 11MB/sec EIDE
          PLS-30850A/S 850MB 11ms 11-A/10-S EIDE/SCSI
          PLS-30854A/S 850MB 1647 16 63 11ms 13-A/10-S EIDE/SCSI
          PLS-31084A/S 1080MB 2093 16 63 11ms 13-A/10-S EIDE/SCSI
          PLS-31274A 1273MB 2466 16 63 11ms 11MB/sec EIDE
          À MODEL CAPACITY CYLINDERS HEADS SECTORS AVG SEEK TRANSFER TYPE ÄÄÄÄÙ
          úúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúú
          ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ IDE Jumper Settings ÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄÄ

          SHD Series Drives ÄÄÄÄÄ 1 Drive 2 Drive Master 2 Drive Slave

          ø ø DXX ø ø DXX ø ø DXX
          ø ø DCF ø ø DCF ø ø DCF
          ø ø DSP ßßß DSP ø ø DSP
          ßßß C/D ßßß C/D ø ø C/D
          úúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúúú
          PLS Series Drives ÄÄÄÄÄ 1 Drive 2 Drive Master 2 Drive Slave

          ø ø ø ø ø ø
          ø ø ø ø ø ø
          ø ø ø ø ø ø
          ø ø CSEL ø ø CSEL ø ø CSEL
          ø ø DXX ø ø DXX ø ø DXX
          ø ø DCF ø ø DCF ø ø DCF
          ø ø DSP ø ø DSP ø ø DSP
          ßßß C/D ßßß C/D ø ø C/D

          Note: The DSP jumper on a PLS drive is only jumpered if the slave
          drive does not use DASP technology. This means that if the slave
          drive does not have a jumper to signal that it is a slave, then the
          DSP jumper is used on the PLS drive. A CD-ROM would be an example
          of this.

          Regards,

          Jim