Re: [NTO] Win2k - Quickview?

  • Rick Friedline
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 3 1:02 AM
      At 01:18 AM 9/3/01 -0500, Jody wrote:

      >I might buy that someday. I do not want the PowerDesk bar across
      >the bottom and the box (image) that popsup during shut down. If
      >there is not an option to get rid of the PowerDesk bar at the
      >bottom, I won't even consider buying it???

      Hi Jody,

      I use PDPRo and I have no idea what you are talking about here :-)
      Never saw anything like it ...

      Rick Friedline

      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 3 1:08 AM
        Hi Rick,

        I guess that means that the gray (not black) bar across the
        bottom like a status bar that says OnTrack and Power Desk is not
        there in the Pro version - that is good to know. I'll probably
        buy it for my new machine. This 350AMD is a bit slow to run it
        on.

        >> I might buy that someday. I do not want the PowerDesk bar
        >> across the bottom and the box (image) that popsup during shut
        >> down. If there is not an option to get rid of the PowerDesk
        >> bar at the bottom, I won't even consider buying it???
        >
        >Hi Jody,
        >
        >I use PDPRo and I have no idea what you are talking about here :-
        >) Never saw anything like it ...

      • Rick Friedline
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 3 6:21 AM
          At 03:08 AM 9/3/01 -0500, Jody wrote:

          >I guess that means that the gray (not black) bar across the
          >bottom like a status bar that says OnTrack and Power Desk is not
          >there in the Pro version - that is good to know. I'll probably
          >buy it for my new machine. This 350AMD is a bit slow to run it
          >on.

          Nope - not on mine. I don't know about how it will run on an AMD 350
          (guessing a K6?) But, it runs pretty well on my overclocked Celeron
          300a (oc'd to 450.) It's only $17.95 to download the full version ...

          BTW, I use it as my FTP client as well.

          Best,
          Rick

        • Harvey R. Savage
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 3 7:10 AM
            Jody wrote:

            > Hi Rick,
            >
            > I guess that means that the gray (not black) bar across the
            > bottom like a status bar that says OnTrack and Power Desk is not
            > there in the Pro version
            >
            > >> I do not want the PowerDesk bar
            > >> across the bottom and the box (image) that popsup during shut
            > >> down.
            >
            > Happy Topics,
            > Jody

            Hi Jody,

            I've used PowerDesk Pro for quite a while. The bar across the
            bottom turns into a status line (like many other programs) which
            you can turn on or off.

            The 'image' that flashes on shutdown is gone in PDPro. If you
            noticed, that image only flashes on the first PD-FREE shutdown in
            a Windows session, that is, after a new Win startup or reboot.

            hrs
          • Paul M. King
            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 3 7:17 AM
              Jody:

              I have been using Power Desk Pro for years. Can't get along
              without it. I have never seen a bar across the bottom of the
              screen nor any popups. Maybe you looked at another version.
              I use v. 3.03a which I paid for. I summon the program from my
              my Start menu and don't let it start up when I boot. PDP is much
              superior to WIN98SE Explore for file manipulation. I especially
              like the feature that permits me to treat compressed files like
              all other files.

              Paul King

              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 3 11:00 AM
                Hi Rick,

                Thanks, I'll be getting it someday. I try to get as many popular
                programs as I can so I can test with our software. I've known
                about PowerDesk and had it installed for over a year now. One of
                the main reasons I have not spent the measly $17.95 is because of
                the nagware classified as freeware. I've been revolting I guess
                you could say. FWIW, I have WinCommander installed to, and do
                not use it because I don't particularly care for it even though
                it is an excellent piece of software. ;) I think 2xPlorer R7 is
                a nice freeware file manager. For me, PowerDesk is the best for
                my preferences though.

                I have a few computers setup and hope to get my 486dx80 running
                again; all for testing purposes, well the wife and kids use the
                one I am currently using since the fire got their 486dx80 (which
                was my first PC). I'm slowly adding new stuff to my new machine,
                but do not know if I will go on line with it till our new house
                is built. (Yes, this 350AMD is a K6 3D processor.)

                >>I guess that means that the gray (not black) bar across the
                >>bottom like a status bar that says OnTrack and Power Desk is not
                >>there in the Pro version - that is good to know. I'll probably
                >>buy it for my new machine. This 350AMD is a bit slow to run it
                >>on.
                >
                >Nope - not on mine. I don't know about how it will run on an AMD
                >350 (guessing a K6?) But, it runs pretty well on my overclocked
                >Celeron 300a (oc'd to 450.) It's only $17.95 to download the full
                >version ...
                >
                >BTW, I use it as my FTP client as well.

                Thanks!
                Jody

                Clean-Funnies: click and send...
                mailto:c-f@...?subject=Subscribe
                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 3 11:02 AM
                  Hi Harvey and Others,

                  Thanks for all the replies!

                  >I've used PowerDesk Pro for quite a while. The bar across the
                  >bottom turns into a status line (like many other programs) which
                  >you can turn on or off.

                  Thanks!

                  >The 'image' that flashes on shutdown is gone in PDPro. If you
                  >noticed, that image only flashes on the first PD-FREE shutdown in
                  >a Windows session, that is, after a new Win startup or reboot.

                  I keep my "Windows Explorer" (File Manager, etc.) open all the
                  time so as far I am concerned, the box always pops up on shut
                  down. <g>

                • Rick Friedline
                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 3 4:45 PM
                    At 01:00 PM 9/3/01 -0500, Jody wrote:

                    >486dx80 (which
                    >was my first PC). I'm slowly adding new stuff to my new machine,
                    >but do not know if I will go on line with it till our new house
                    >is built. (Yes, this 350AMD is a K6 3D processor.)

                    Hey! That x80 was a sweet machine at that time - I built a 486dx100
                    back in 1993(?) and kept it a looooooooooooong time since I swore it
                    was faster than the "new" (then) Pentium chips. :-)

                    What is your new machine, Jody?

                    Rick

                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 3 10:12 PM
                      Hi Rick,

                      >Hey! That x80 was a sweet machine at that time - I built a 486dx100
                      >back in 1993(?) and kept it a looooooooooooong time since I swore it
                      >was faster than the "new" (then) Pentium chips. :-)
                      >
                      >What is your new machine, Jody?

                      1.1GHz AMD and an aBit motherboard, 256MB RAM, and 32MG geForce video
                      adapter.

                    • Scott Fordin
                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 4 12:31 PM
                        At 04:17 9/2/2001 -0400, Alec Burgess wrote:
                        >I like the PowerDesk viewer, too; but I'm only using the freebie version.
                        >Before I rush off to d/l FmView can you tell me what FmView offers that
                        >Irfan doesn't?
                        >Regards Alec

                        Alec,

                        IrfanView is nice, but I find that I use FmView far more often
                        for several reasons:

                        1. FmView provides right-click menu integration with
                        Explorer (and PowerDesk!).

                        2. FmView is very fast, and much smaller than IrfanView.

                        3. FmView handles all sorts of files, not just graphics;
                        text, DOC, ZIP, TAR, JAR, HLP, etc. Note that FmView
                        lets you look at archive files -- a tree view so you
                        can see what's in them -- but doesn't provide tools
                        for actually compressing or decompressing stuff. You
                        can look at files at various levels of detail, so,
                        for example, when looking at an executable, you can
                        see the icons in file, dump the strings, do a hex
                        dump, or show detailed properties -- more detailed
                        than Explorer's standard right-click Properties
                        sheet. Another cool example is that you can look at
                        the directory structure, compilation info, and a list
                        of all topics in HLP files.

                        4. FmView has a small but useful set of image processing
                        filters. IrfanView has more, but given the small size,
                        speed, and convenience of FmView, they're sufficient.
                        If I really need to do more image processing, I use
                        ThumbsPlus or Photoshop.

                        5. Integrated text editor in text modes; press Ctrl+E
                        when viewing any sort of text file puts you in edit
                        mode, complete with search and replace, cut and paste,
                        and other stuff. NoteTab is the far more robust text
                        editor, of course, but for quick and dirty stuff,
                        FmView's text editing feature is really handy.

                        6. Incremental string searches when in text mode display
                        for any kind of file; just start typing letters to
                        initiate the search.

                        That's all I have time for now. I suppose the bottom line is
                        that IrfanView is more a graphics viewer, whereas FmView is
                        a general graphics/text/binary viewer. IrfanView is very nice,
                        but I find myself using FmView far more often.

                        Regards,

                        Scott
                      • Scott Fordin
                        Message 11 of 24 , Sep 4 12:44 PM
                          At 01:18 9/3/2001 -0500, you wrote:
                          > >I like the PowerDesk viewer, too; but I'm only using the freebie
                          > >version.
                          >
                          >I might buy that someday. I do not want the PowerDesk bar across
                          >the bottom and the box (image) that popsup during shut down. If
                          >there is not an option to get rid of the PowerDesk bar at the
                          >bottom, I won't even consider buying it???

                          The PowerDesk bar is not an issue as far as I've seen; you can
                          customize the interface pretty much however you want. The for-
                          real-money version also has a bunch of features that makes it
                          worthwhile, as far as I'm concerned:

                          1. Integrated file compression utilities

                          2. Lots more file viewers -- including PDF, and
                          a "live" collapsible/expandible tree view of
                          compressed files.

                          3. Integrated ftp client, which is handy for quick
                          transfers.

                          4. Integrated "Dialog Helper" utility; binds to File
                          Open/Save dialogs and remembers what folders and
                          files you've visited.

                          5. Other stuff I can't remember right now because
                          I've been using the Pro version so long I don't
                          remember all that the free version doesn't include.

                          > >Before I rush off to d/l FmView can you tell me what FmView
                          > >offers that Irfan doesn't?

                          Lots. Please see my earlier message.

                          >This is a nice little freeware image viewer; (I've been using
                          >I_View for about 5 years I guess):
                          >
                          >XnView
                          >http://www.xnview.com or http://perso.wanadoo.fr/pierre.g

                          XnView is nice too. I think in order of preference, I use
                          FmView viewers and PowerDesk viewers the most (it pretty
                          much depends on my mood), then ThumbsPlus, then Irfanview.
                          I haven't reinstalled XnView since building my latest
                          machine. Probably not as much an indictment of XnView as
                          rather a data point showing my personal habits.

                          Regards to all,

                          Scott
                          Message 12 of 24 , Sep 4 2:03 PM
                            Hi Scott

                            > 1. Integrated file compression utilities

                            No need for it; it would take me longer than to just do it like I do with my files now - click a button on my Clipbar and be done with it.

                            > 2. Lots more file viewers -- including PDF, and
                            > a "live" collapsible/expandible tree view of
                            > compressed files.

                            I might use that.

                            > 3. Integrated ftp client, which is handy for quick
                            > transfers.

                            Same as number one. ;)

                            > 4. Integrated "Dialog Helper" utility; binds to File
                            > Open/Save dialogs and remembers what folders and
                            > files you've visited.

                            That might be handy.

                            > 5. Other stuff I can't remember right now because
                            > I've been using the Pro version so long I don't
                            > remember all that the free version doesn't include.

                            I might like them as well. <bg>

                            >FmView

                            I missed the link, and only need it if it is freeware. I_View
                            is really all I need since the only thing I use image viewers
                            for it to take a quick peek at an image. I use PSP otherwise.

                          • LaurieK
                            Message 13 of 24 , Sep 4 2:43 PM
                              I have seen countless numbers of posts in this group regarding PowerDesk a
                              fancy Explorer type program, and I went to see what all the fuss was about.

                              Its cool, but in response to Scott Fordin's post involving FmView, I thought
                              I might mention FM Edit 2001, man its a handy Explorer type program. You
                              can have split screens so you can see two instances at once, if not using
                              split screen you can click on any file, graphic/html/zip/text and
                              automatically view it on the right. If a zip file, it shows the contents,
                              you click on say a text file within the zip and you are reading it....its a
                              pretty handy application....

                              So my 2 cents worth... check it out...

                              http://www.fmedit.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/html/fmedit.htm

                              Laurie
                              Message 14 of 24 , Sep 4 10:59 PM
                                Hi Scott,

                                Thanks Scott. I looked around and found the link. Downloading
                                now and will let you all know which I like better (PD or FmView)
                                FWIW. I have some type of viewer, catalog thingie or something
                                on those lines from JACS (PSP) but never got around to installing
                                it. ;) nite...