Re: [NTO] Win2k - Quickview?

    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 2, 2001
      Hi Alec & Scott,

      > For years I've also been using FmView by Dieter Prifling
      > (http://www.wincorner.com). FmView is very small, very fast,
      > and provides right-click previews for many, many file types.

      >I like the PowerDesk viewer, too; but I'm only using the freebie
      >version.

      I might buy that someday. I do not want the PowerDesk bar across
      the bottom and the box (image) that popsup during shut down. If
      there is not an option to get rid of the PowerDesk bar at the
      bottom, I won't even consider buying it???

      >Before I rush off to d/l FmView can you tell me what FmView
      >offers that Irfan doesn't?

      This is a nice little freeware image viewer; (I've been using
      I_View for about 5 years I guess):

      XnView
      http://www.xnview.com or http://perso.wanadoo.fr/pierre.g

      Somebody on the HTML list (?) mentioned it sometime back -
      maybe Scott. ;)

    • Steve Howes
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 3, 2001
        Irfanview can be found at www.irfanview.com as a you say a nice little image view with some image modifying options. And is freeware while FMView is shareware of course Irfanview is not integrated like FMView is into Windows Explorer. And I preferred it over XnView but that is my personal preference :-)

        LnL,
        Steve - Cheltenham, UK

        On 03/09/01 at 01:18 Jody wrote:

        >Hi Alec & Scott,
        >>Before I rush off to d/l FmView can you tell me what FmView
        >>offers that Irfan doesn't?
        >
        >This is a nice little freeware image viewer; (I've been using
        >I_View for about 5 years I guess):
        >
        >XnView
        >http://www.xnview.com or http://perso.wanadoo.fr/pierre.g
        >
        >Somebody on the HTML list (?) mentioned it sometime back -
        >maybe Scott. ;)
        >
        >Happy Topics,
        >Jody
      • Rick Friedline
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 3, 2001
          At 01:18 AM 9/3/01 -0500, Jody wrote:

          >I might buy that someday. I do not want the PowerDesk bar across
          >the bottom and the box (image) that popsup during shut down. If
          >there is not an option to get rid of the PowerDesk bar at the
          >bottom, I won't even consider buying it???

          Hi Jody,

          I use PDPRo and I have no idea what you are talking about here :-)
          Never saw anything like it ...

          Rick Friedline

          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 3, 2001
            Hi Rick,

            I guess that means that the gray (not black) bar across the
            bottom like a status bar that says OnTrack and Power Desk is not
            there in the Pro version - that is good to know. I'll probably
            buy it for my new machine. This 350AMD is a bit slow to run it
            on.

            >> I might buy that someday. I do not want the PowerDesk bar
            >> across the bottom and the box (image) that popsup during shut
            >> down. If there is not an option to get rid of the PowerDesk
            >> bar at the bottom, I won't even consider buying it???
            >
            >Hi Jody,
            >
            >I use PDPRo and I have no idea what you are talking about here :-
            >) Never saw anything like it ...

          • Rick Friedline
            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 3, 2001
              At 03:08 AM 9/3/01 -0500, Jody wrote:

              >I guess that means that the gray (not black) bar across the
              >bottom like a status bar that says OnTrack and Power Desk is not
              >there in the Pro version - that is good to know. I'll probably
              >buy it for my new machine. This 350AMD is a bit slow to run it
              >on.

              Nope - not on mine. I don't know about how it will run on an AMD 350
              (guessing a K6?) But, it runs pretty well on my overclocked Celeron
              300a (oc'd to 450.) It's only $17.95 to download the full version ...

              BTW, I use it as my FTP client as well.

              Best,
              Rick

            • Harvey R. Savage
              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 3, 2001
                Jody wrote:

                > Hi Rick,
                >
                > I guess that means that the gray (not black) bar across the
                > bottom like a status bar that says OnTrack and Power Desk is not
                > there in the Pro version
                >
                > >> I do not want the PowerDesk bar
                > >> across the bottom and the box (image) that popsup during shut
                > >> down.
                >
                > Happy Topics,
                > Jody

                Hi Jody,

                I've used PowerDesk Pro for quite a while. The bar across the
                bottom turns into a status line (like many other programs) which
                you can turn on or off.

                The 'image' that flashes on shutdown is gone in PDPro. If you
                noticed, that image only flashes on the first PD-FREE shutdown in
                a Windows session, that is, after a new Win startup or reboot.

                hrs
              • Paul M. King
                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 3, 2001
                  Jody:

                  I have been using Power Desk Pro for years. Can't get along
                  without it. I have never seen a bar across the bottom of the
                  screen nor any popups. Maybe you looked at another version.
                  I use v. 3.03a which I paid for. I summon the program from my
                  my Start menu and don't let it start up when I boot. PDP is much
                  superior to WIN98SE Explore for file manipulation. I especially
                  like the feature that permits me to treat compressed files like
                  all other files.

                  Paul King

                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 3, 2001
                    Hi Rick,

                    Thanks, I'll be getting it someday. I try to get as many popular
                    programs as I can so I can test with our software. I've known
                    about PowerDesk and had it installed for over a year now. One of
                    the main reasons I have not spent the measly $17.95 is because of
                    the nagware classified as freeware. I've been revolting I guess
                    you could say. FWIW, I have WinCommander installed to, and do
                    not use it because I don't particularly care for it even though
                    it is an excellent piece of software. ;) I think 2xPlorer R7 is
                    a nice freeware file manager. For me, PowerDesk is the best for
                    my preferences though.

                    I have a few computers setup and hope to get my 486dx80 running
                    again; all for testing purposes, well the wife and kids use the
                    one I am currently using since the fire got their 486dx80 (which
                    was my first PC). I'm slowly adding new stuff to my new machine,
                    but do not know if I will go on line with it till our new house
                    is built. (Yes, this 350AMD is a K6 3D processor.)

                    >>I guess that means that the gray (not black) bar across the
                    >>bottom like a status bar that says OnTrack and Power Desk is not
                    >>there in the Pro version - that is good to know. I'll probably
                    >>buy it for my new machine. This 350AMD is a bit slow to run it
                    >>on.
                    >
                    >Nope - not on mine. I don't know about how it will run on an AMD
                    >350 (guessing a K6?) But, it runs pretty well on my overclocked
                    >Celeron 300a (oc'd to 450.) It's only $17.95 to download the full
                    >version ...
                    >
                    >BTW, I use it as my FTP client as well.

                    Thanks!
                    Jody

                    Clean-Funnies: click and send...
                    mailto:c-f@...?subject=Subscribe
                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 3, 2001
                      Hi Harvey and Others,

                      Thanks for all the replies!

                      >I've used PowerDesk Pro for quite a while. The bar across the
                      >bottom turns into a status line (like many other programs) which
                      >you can turn on or off.

                      Thanks!

                      >The 'image' that flashes on shutdown is gone in PDPro. If you
                      >noticed, that image only flashes on the first PD-FREE shutdown in
                      >a Windows session, that is, after a new Win startup or reboot.

                      I keep my "Windows Explorer" (File Manager, etc.) open all the
                      time so as far I am concerned, the box always pops up on shut
                      down. <g>

                    • Rick Friedline
                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 3, 2001
                        At 01:00 PM 9/3/01 -0500, Jody wrote:

                        >486dx80 (which
                        >was my first PC). I'm slowly adding new stuff to my new machine,
                        >but do not know if I will go on line with it till our new house
                        >is built. (Yes, this 350AMD is a K6 3D processor.)

                        Hey! That x80 was a sweet machine at that time - I built a 486dx100
                        back in 1993(?) and kept it a looooooooooooong time since I swore it
                        was faster than the "new" (then) Pentium chips. :-)

                        What is your new machine, Jody?

                        Rick

                        Message 11 of 24 , Sep 3, 2001
                          Hi Rick,

                          >Hey! That x80 was a sweet machine at that time - I built a 486dx100
                          >back in 1993(?) and kept it a looooooooooooong time since I swore it
                          >was faster than the "new" (then) Pentium chips. :-)
                          >
                          >What is your new machine, Jody?

                          1.1GHz AMD and an aBit motherboard, 256MB RAM, and 32MG geForce video
                          adapter.

                        • Scott Fordin
                          Message 12 of 24 , Sep 4, 2001
                            At 04:17 9/2/2001 -0400, Alec Burgess wrote:
                            >I like the PowerDesk viewer, too; but I'm only using the freebie version.
                            >Before I rush off to d/l FmView can you tell me what FmView offers that
                            >Irfan doesn't?
                            >Regards Alec

                            Alec,

                            IrfanView is nice, but I find that I use FmView far more often
                            for several reasons:

                            1. FmView provides right-click menu integration with
                            Explorer (and PowerDesk!).

                            2. FmView is very fast, and much smaller than IrfanView.

                            3. FmView handles all sorts of files, not just graphics;
                            text, DOC, ZIP, TAR, JAR, HLP, etc. Note that FmView
                            lets you look at archive files -- a tree view so you
                            can see what's in them -- but doesn't provide tools
                            for actually compressing or decompressing stuff. You
                            can look at files at various levels of detail, so,
                            for example, when looking at an executable, you can
                            see the icons in file, dump the strings, do a hex
                            dump, or show detailed properties -- more detailed
                            than Explorer's standard right-click Properties
                            sheet. Another cool example is that you can look at
                            the directory structure, compilation info, and a list
                            of all topics in HLP files.

                            4. FmView has a small but useful set of image processing
                            filters. IrfanView has more, but given the small size,
                            speed, and convenience of FmView, they're sufficient.
                            If I really need to do more image processing, I use
                            ThumbsPlus or Photoshop.

                            5. Integrated text editor in text modes; press Ctrl+E
                            when viewing any sort of text file puts you in edit
                            mode, complete with search and replace, cut and paste,
                            and other stuff. NoteTab is the far more robust text
                            editor, of course, but for quick and dirty stuff,
                            FmView's text editing feature is really handy.

                            6. Incremental string searches when in text mode display
                            for any kind of file; just start typing letters to
                            initiate the search.

                            That's all I have time for now. I suppose the bottom line is
                            that IrfanView is more a graphics viewer, whereas FmView is
                            a general graphics/text/binary viewer. IrfanView is very nice,
                            but I find myself using FmView far more often.

                            Regards,

                            Scott
                          • Scott Fordin
                            Message 13 of 24 , Sep 4, 2001
                              At 01:18 9/3/2001 -0500, you wrote:
                              > >I like the PowerDesk viewer, too; but I'm only using the freebie
                              > >version.
                              >
                              >I might buy that someday. I do not want the PowerDesk bar across
                              >the bottom and the box (image) that popsup during shut down. If
                              >there is not an option to get rid of the PowerDesk bar at the
                              >bottom, I won't even consider buying it???

                              The PowerDesk bar is not an issue as far as I've seen; you can
                              customize the interface pretty much however you want. The for-
                              real-money version also has a bunch of features that makes it
                              worthwhile, as far as I'm concerned:

                              1. Integrated file compression utilities

                              2. Lots more file viewers -- including PDF, and
                              a "live" collapsible/expandible tree view of
                              compressed files.

                              3. Integrated ftp client, which is handy for quick
                              transfers.

                              4. Integrated "Dialog Helper" utility; binds to File
                              Open/Save dialogs and remembers what folders and
                              files you've visited.

                              5. Other stuff I can't remember right now because
                              I've been using the Pro version so long I don't
                              remember all that the free version doesn't include.

                              > >Before I rush off to d/l FmView can you tell me what FmView
                              > >offers that Irfan doesn't?

                              Lots. Please see my earlier message.

                              >This is a nice little freeware image viewer; (I've been using
                              >I_View for about 5 years I guess):
                              >
                              >XnView
                              >http://www.xnview.com or http://perso.wanadoo.fr/pierre.g

                              XnView is nice too. I think in order of preference, I use
                              FmView viewers and PowerDesk viewers the most (it pretty
                              much depends on my mood), then ThumbsPlus, then Irfanview.
                              I haven't reinstalled XnView since building my latest
                              machine. Probably not as much an indictment of XnView as
                              rather a data point showing my personal habits.

                              Regards to all,

                              Scott
                              Message 14 of 24 , Sep 4, 2001
                                Hi Scott

                                > 1. Integrated file compression utilities

                                No need for it; it would take me longer than to just do it like I do with my files now - click a button on my Clipbar and be done with it.

                                > 2. Lots more file viewers -- including PDF, and
                                > a "live" collapsible/expandible tree view of
                                > compressed files.

                                I might use that.

                                > 3. Integrated ftp client, which is handy for quick
                                > transfers.

                                Same as number one. ;)

                                > 4. Integrated "Dialog Helper" utility; binds to File
                                > Open/Save dialogs and remembers what folders and
                                > files you've visited.

                                That might be handy.

                                > 5. Other stuff I can't remember right now because
                                > I've been using the Pro version so long I don't
                                > remember all that the free version doesn't include.

                                I might like them as well. <bg>

                                >FmView

                                I missed the link, and only need it if it is freeware. I_View
                                is really all I need since the only thing I use image viewers
                                for it to take a quick peek at an image. I use PSP otherwise.

                              • LaurieK
                                Message 15 of 24 , Sep 4, 2001
                                  I have seen countless numbers of posts in this group regarding PowerDesk a
                                  fancy Explorer type program, and I went to see what all the fuss was about.

                                  Its cool, but in response to Scott Fordin's post involving FmView, I thought
                                  I might mention FM Edit 2001, man its a handy Explorer type program. You
                                  can have split screens so you can see two instances at once, if not using
                                  split screen you can click on any file, graphic/html/zip/text and
                                  automatically view it on the right. If a zip file, it shows the contents,
                                  you click on say a text file within the zip and you are reading it....its a
                                  pretty handy application....

                                  So my 2 cents worth... check it out...

                                  http://www.fmedit.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/html/fmedit.htm

                                  Laurie
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Sep 4, 2001
                                    Hi Scott,

                                    Thanks Scott. I looked around and found the link. Downloading
                                    now and will let you all know which I like better (PD or FmView)
                                    FWIW. I have some type of viewer, catalog thingie or something
                                    on those lines from JACS (PSP) but never got around to installing
                                    it. ;) nite...