Re: [NTO] Nettamer

  • Jan Rosenstreich
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 2, 2001
      On Sat, 1 Sep 2001 23:11:51 +0100, Mark Halsall wrote:

      >I bought Nettamer some 5 years ago, never regretted it, and still have
      >it. It's a DOS email program. I found it somewhat awkward to
      >navigate. I keep it with my secure files. No cosmetics, but truly
      >and highly functional.

      I too bought Nettammer many moons ago. I bought it so I could retrieve my
      email on a clunky 286 laptop (that I bought for $25). It has been so long
      since I last used it that I am not sure if it used its own PPP stack or if
      I had to dial-up and use it through my shell account.

      Nettamer also supported Usenet. I remember being able to follow my
      favorite newsgroups while I was away.

      I also had WordPerfect 5.1 installed in this 286. I fondly remember
      writing articles in the car while my wife drove (using a cigarette lighter
      power cable).

      Jan
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 2, 2001
        Hi Melvin,

        I not a typist and I find most DOS programs using mainly
        shortcuts for most the features. I found Netscape a joke all the
        way around in version 6, but that is my opinion FWIW. I believe
        when you get down to the top 3-5 eMail programs in Windows it
        pretty much is a personal preference thing. Eudora has some
        features that I "cannot live without". I stay connect all the
        time accept for when I sleep so download time of messages is not
        even a question for me to consider. My preference of eMail
        programs in order are Eudora, PocoMail, and then Pegasus,
        although I like TheBat! a bit too. These are the ones I
        currently have installed in my Mail Folder that I have just to
        put them there for testing. I have maybe another half dozen that
        are not installed this time after a reformat which I do a couple
        times a year. One fairly popular mail app I do not have
        installed presently is Becky. IMO, it is OK, but I think we are
        back to personal preference with it. (I think Agent is the pits
        for eMail and think that for my purposes of a newsreader OE
        serves me just fine. Allegro is a bit bloated for me, although
        the companies FTPVoyager is a nice piece of FTP software.
        CommandMail is a cute little commandline mail - if I remember
        correctly, it only sends mail. FoxMail is a nice little light
        weight program for somebody that doe snot do a lot of mail and
        they are a bit "Computer challenged." :-) Phoenix is about like
        what I said of FoxMail. It still has not made it to version one
        yet; I have version .92 installed. <bg> SVList is a small mail
        list manager that works pretty good for small mailing lists.

        I run two copies of Eudora at a time, the second being a second
        instance really using all the support files in my personal Eudora
        which is what I use for the mailing lists, my web sites, regular
        mail to friends, etc. I use the second instance for Fookes
        Software so I keep all the mail separated.

        You mentioned the time learning a program. I think that is one
        of the main things holding me back from switching completely to
        PocoMail; I'm just too busy to learn it, well the scripting
        language it has. Most mail programs to me are not hard at all
        nor time consuming to learn, but Poco has a scripting language
        something like NoteTab's, but geared towards eMail of course.
        One of the main things I like about Eudora is its interface.

        D:\Mail Programs\SVList\
        D:\Mail Programs\AgentFree\
        D:\Mail Programs\Allegro\
        D:\Mail Programs\Calypso\