Re: [NTO] Fw: [NTB] NoteTab Light 4.86 pre-release

  • Stefan Elssner
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 2, 2001
      Hi Laurie,

      >Thanks Sefan, I'm just wondering, I downloaded all of the Zip files on that
      >page, I am assuming they are all required? And it sounds like this is a

      Basically the only one you need is the binaries-zip. The editor should
      run out of the box. The docu-zip contains some documentation that is
      no longer included in the binaries package but is useful nevertheless.
      If you like have esp. a look at the history.doc since it contains a
      lot of the original documentation from Frank Davis.

      The sources-zip isn't needed unless you want to recompile the program
      for yourself.

      >multidocument editor? That's pretty cool.... I'll have it all downloaded

      Yes, it can open several documents simultanously in splitted windows -
      within the limitiations of the dos-screen.

      There are other very useful tools on the site, I forget to mention -
      you will find them from the main page.

      One I use everyday is cmdedit - Harvey mentioned it in his reply too.
      It is a command-line editing tool like good ol' doskey - but better.
      One featuere I never want to miss again is the filename completion as
      you would have on a standard UNIX or Linux system.

      Another tool esp. useful in conjunction with tde is tm - TextMode.
      With this small utility you can easily change the number of rows (and
      columns) of the dosscreen in a wide range of steps (if the device
      supports it). It also works fine with the Win98 DOS-Prompt windows for
      a lot of linecounts. (Not all mentioned in the docu seem to work,
      anyway).

      Regards,
      Stefan

      --
      stefan elssner --- mailto:elssner@...

    • LaurieK
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 2, 2001
        > While on the subject of dos text editors I have to recommend VDE,
        > a free WordStar clone with great Fkey macro capability. If you
        > consider downloading then also, download the macro-converter.
        >
        > http://members.aol.com/wolffsoft/vde.htm

        OOOOoooo HAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRVEY, be still my heart... such a TREASURE
        TROVE of stuff...

        I got it all.... can't wait to play.

        after other things come first that is... I've got a huge undertaking going
        on right now with my web stuff and well other lessons which both are on the
        front burner right now but I gotta say, you are after my own heart.... I
        LOVE THIS RESOURCE!! Thanks!!!

        DOS RULES!! :)

        Laurie
      • Rick Friedline
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 2, 2001
          At 09:27 AM 9/2/01 -0500, Harvey R. Savage wrote:

          > > Anyway, if you're looking for a good editor running on DOS maybe
          > have
          > > a look at the TDE maintained by Jason Hood.
          > >
          > > http://www.geocities.com/jadoxa/tde/index.html

          Since 1994 I've used a shareware DOS text editor called QEdit. Written
          in assembly language it is only about 70k in size but very powerful.

          In trying to track down this software I found that they still sell the
          same version I own (2.15) and have upgraded the product to a more
          advanced DOS version and a Windows version (neither of which I care
          about.) They have also changed the name of the program to SemWare
          Editor Junior (DOS) - it can be found at

          http://www.semware.com/html/tsejrfl.html

          which is the features page. This program includes Macro and Block
          operation features, as well as an integrated Spell Checker. Worth a
          look ...

          It's a bit pricey at $49, but if you work in DOS a lot I believe it is
          worth it ;-)

          HTH someone ...

          Rick Friedline