Re: [NTO] Fw: [NTB] NoteTab Light 4.86 pre-release

  • Harvey R. Savage
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 2 7:27 AM
      Stefan Elssner wrote:

      > Hi Laurie,
      > Like the others I never heard of an DOS version of NoteTab. First I
      > knew is the Super NoteTab for Win 3.1 already mentioned by Harvey on
      > the NTB list.
      >
      > Anyway, if you're looking for a good editor running on DOS maybe have
      > a look at the TDE maintained by Jason Hood.
      >
      > http://www.geocities.com/jadoxa/tde/index.html
      >
      > Load the documentation package too, it's valuable. Most important
      > key-stroke for starting to work with is CTRL+\ for invoking the menu
      > IMHO. The rest is playing..
      >
      > Regards,
      > Stefan
      > --
      Stefan, Laurie,

      That's a great link for some of us, dos-diehards. I thought I
      would check out TDE and found an updated version of my all time
      favorite dos TSR-command line editor, CMDEDIT, I've used it
      starting with version 1.

      While on the subject of dos text editors I have to recommend VDE,
      a free WordStar clone with great Fkey macro capability. If you
      consider downloading then also, download the macro-converter.

      http://members.aol.com/wolffsoft/vde.htm

      hrs
    • Stefan Elssner
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 2 8:32 AM
        Hi Laurie,

        >Thanks Sefan, I'm just wondering, I downloaded all of the Zip files on that
        >page, I am assuming they are all required? And it sounds like this is a

        Basically the only one you need is the binaries-zip. The editor should
        run out of the box. The docu-zip contains some documentation that is
        no longer included in the binaries package but is useful nevertheless.
        If you like have esp. a look at the history.doc since it contains a
        lot of the original documentation from Frank Davis.

        The sources-zip isn't needed unless you want to recompile the program
        for yourself.

        >multidocument editor? That's pretty cool.... I'll have it all downloaded

        Yes, it can open several documents simultanously in splitted windows -
        within the limitiations of the dos-screen.

        There are other very useful tools on the site, I forget to mention -
        you will find them from the main page.

        One I use everyday is cmdedit - Harvey mentioned it in his reply too.
        It is a command-line editing tool like good ol' doskey - but better.
        One featuere I never want to miss again is the filename completion as
        you would have on a standard UNIX or Linux system.

        Another tool esp. useful in conjunction with tde is tm - TextMode.
        With this small utility you can easily change the number of rows (and
        columns) of the dosscreen in a wide range of steps (if the device
        supports it). It also works fine with the Win98 DOS-Prompt windows for
        a lot of linecounts. (Not all mentioned in the docu seem to work,
        anyway).

        Regards,
        Stefan

        --
        stefan elssner --- mailto:elssner@...

      • LaurieK
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 2 9:05 AM
          > While on the subject of dos text editors I have to recommend VDE,
          > a free WordStar clone with great Fkey macro capability. If you
          > consider downloading then also, download the macro-converter.
          >
          > http://members.aol.com/wolffsoft/vde.htm

          OOOOoooo HAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRVEY, be still my heart... such a TREASURE
          TROVE of stuff...

          I got it all.... can't wait to play.

          after other things come first that is... I've got a huge undertaking going
          on right now with my web stuff and well other lessons which both are on the
          front burner right now but I gotta say, you are after my own heart.... I
          LOVE THIS RESOURCE!! Thanks!!!

          DOS RULES!! :)

          Laurie
        • Rick Friedline
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 2 10:24 AM
            At 09:27 AM 9/2/01 -0500, Harvey R. Savage wrote:

            > > Anyway, if you're looking for a good editor running on DOS maybe
            > have
            > > a look at the TDE maintained by Jason Hood.
            > >
            > > http://www.geocities.com/jadoxa/tde/index.html

            Since 1994 I've used a shareware DOS text editor called QEdit. Written
            in assembly language it is only about 70k in size but very powerful.

            In trying to track down this software I found that they still sell the
            same version I own (2.15) and have upgraded the product to a more
            advanced DOS version and a Windows version (neither of which I care
            about.) They have also changed the name of the program to SemWare
            Editor Junior (DOS) - it can be found at

            http://www.semware.com/html/tsejrfl.html

            which is the features page. This program includes Macro and Block
            operation features, as well as an integrated Spell Checker. Worth a
            look ...

            It's a bit pricey at $49, but if you work in DOS a lot I believe it is
            worth it ;-)

            HTH someone ...

            Rick Friedline