Nettamer

  • Mark Halsall
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1 3:11 PM
      Hi Jody,

      I bought Nettamer some 5 years ago, never regretted it, and still have
      it. It's a DOS email program. I found it somewhat awkward to
      navigate. I keep it with my secure files. No cosmetics, but truly
      and highly functional. It's so very very tight and includes features
      not included in Outlook, Pegasus, Calypso, &c. A one man band author.
      I haven't used it for years, but still think it's the best. I may
      well go back to it - Windows just doesn't match it.

      http://www.nettamer.net/

      Regards,
      Mark

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1 11:09 PM
        Hi Mark,

        Thanks for the information. I used a DOS mail program once
        before I got on the Internet about six years ago when I would go
        "on-line" to BBS's. I do not like DOS apps at all. I am much
        happier in the Windows environment, so you saved me the time of
        downloading it and trying it out. ;) tanX

        >I bought Nettamer some 5 years ago, never regretted it, and still
        >have it. It's a DOS email program. I found it somewhat awkward
        >to navigate. I keep it with my secure files. No cosmetics, but
        >truly and highly functional. It's so very very tight and
        >includes features not included in Outlook, Pegasus, Calypso, &c.
        >A one man band author. I haven't used it for years, but still
        >think it's the best. I may well go back to it - Windows just
        >doesn't match it.
        >
        ><http://www.nettamer.net/>http://www.nettamer.net/

      • Jan Rosenstreich
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 2 8:34 AM
          On Sat, 1 Sep 2001 23:11:51 +0100, Mark Halsall wrote:

          >I bought Nettamer some 5 years ago, never regretted it, and still have
          >it. It's a DOS email program. I found it somewhat awkward to
          >navigate. I keep it with my secure files. No cosmetics, but truly
          >and highly functional.

          I too bought Nettammer many moons ago. I bought it so I could retrieve my
          email on a clunky 286 laptop (that I bought for $25). It has been so long
          since I last used it that I am not sure if it used its own PPP stack or if
          I had to dial-up and use it through my shell account.

          Nettamer also supported Usenet. I remember being able to follow my
          favorite newsgroups while I was away.

          I also had WordPerfect 5.1 installed in this 286. I fondly remember
          writing articles in the car while my wife drove (using a cigarette lighter
          power cable).

          Jan
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 2 11:09 PM
            Hi Melvin,

            I not a typist and I find most DOS programs using mainly
            shortcuts for most the features. I found Netscape a joke all the
            way around in version 6, but that is my opinion FWIW. I believe
            when you get down to the top 3-5 eMail programs in Windows it
            pretty much is a personal preference thing. Eudora has some
            features that I "cannot live without". I stay connect all the
            time accept for when I sleep so download time of messages is not
            even a question for me to consider. My preference of eMail
            programs in order are Eudora, PocoMail, and then Pegasus,
            although I like TheBat! a bit too. These are the ones I
            currently have installed in my Mail Folder that I have just to
            put them there for testing. I have maybe another half dozen that
            are not installed this time after a reformat which I do a couple
            times a year. One fairly popular mail app I do not have
            installed presently is Becky. IMO, it is OK, but I think we are
            back to personal preference with it. (I think Agent is the pits
            for eMail and think that for my purposes of a newsreader OE
            serves me just fine. Allegro is a bit bloated for me, although
            the companies FTPVoyager is a nice piece of FTP software.
            CommandMail is a cute little commandline mail - if I remember
            correctly, it only sends mail. FoxMail is a nice little light
            weight program for somebody that doe snot do a lot of mail and
            they are a bit "Computer challenged." :-) Phoenix is about like
            what I said of FoxMail. It still has not made it to version one
            yet; I have version .92 installed. <bg> SVList is a small mail
            list manager that works pretty good for small mailing lists.

            I run two copies of Eudora at a time, the second being a second
            instance really using all the support files in my personal Eudora
            which is what I use for the mailing lists, my web sites, regular
            mail to friends, etc. I use the second instance for Fookes
            Software so I keep all the mail separated.

            You mentioned the time learning a program. I think that is one
            of the main things holding me back from switching completely to
            PocoMail; I'm just too busy to learn it, well the scripting
            language it has. Most mail programs to me are not hard at all
            nor time consuming to learn, but Poco has a scripting language
            something like NoteTab's, but geared towards eMail of course.
            One of the main things I like about Eudora is its interface.

            D:\Mail Programs\SVList\
            D:\Mail Programs\AgentFree\
            D:\Mail Programs\Allegro\
            D:\Mail Programs\Calypso\
            D:\Mail Programs\CommandMail\
            D:\Mail Programs\FoxMail\
            D:\Mail Programs\FoxMailCH\
            D:\Mail Programs\MAIL\
            D:\Mail Programs\Phoenix Mail\
            D:\Mail Programs\PMail\
            D:\Mail Programs\Poco2.5\
            D:\Mail Programs\Agent\
            D:\Mail Programs\The Bat\

            >I still use it frequently because I find Windows an obstacle to
            >efficiency and operate in DOS as much as possible. Nettamer is
            >much faster than Netscape. It zips in, downloads all my messages
            >and frees up my phone in less than a minute, usually. It has
            >some klutzy aspects. But the speed and simplicity of operation
            >make it a valuable tool. I doubt that any GUI e-mail app could
            >be as fast. But I haven't experimented much. It's too time
            >consuming to try things out.

          • Melvin Woody
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 2 11:25 PM