Fw: [NTB] NoteTab Light 4.86 pre-release

  • LaurieK
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2001
      Bryan,

      Doesn't that little unit simply ROCK!! I love mine, even through my old
      eyes cannot always read the screen, sometimes its difficult to focus but for
      dependability and durability, it best the rest HANDS DOWN!!!

      Its a shame that they have been discontinued, but then again, the up and
      coming generation are not DOS BABIES and maybe they would get lost .... I
      like having control over what I do on my system. All of the graphical
      interfaces and the push to rid our lives of DOS like Unca Bill is attempting
      is sad, truly sad.

      This is one woman's opinion....

      Laurie

      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2001
        Marcus and all Calypso users,

        I'm sorry to inform you that I just read in the WinXP release notes that
        Calypso does not work in WinXP, and it doesn't sound like they intend to do
        anything about it.

        Sorry to be the bearer of sad tidings.

        Regards,

        Jim
      • Marcus
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 1, 2001
          On 01.09.01 at 15:44 Jim Hall wrote:
          >I'm sorry to inform you that I just read in the WinXP release notes
          that
          >Calypso does not work in WinXP, and it doesn't sound like they intend
          >do
          >anything about it.

          I think I would upgrade to W2K anyway. Are there any other apps you
          recognised that do not run on XP?
          I thought XP was NT underneath. I guess it's not. Any other XP
          surprises?

          Marcus
        • Harvey R. Savage
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 1, 2001
            Jim Hall wrote:

            > Marcus and all Calypso users,
            >
            > I'm sorry to inform you that I just read in the WinXP release notes that
            > Calypso does not work in WinXP, and it doesn't sound like they intend to do
            > anything about it.
            >
            > Sorry to be the bearer of sad tidings.
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > Jim

            Hi Jim, Marcus,

            Sounds right, typically MicroSoft attitude.

            hrs
          • Stefan Elssner
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 2, 2001
              Hi Laurie,

              >Its a shame that they have been discontinued, but then again, the up and
              >coming generation are not DOS BABIES and maybe they would get lost .... I
              >like having control over what I do on my system. All of the graphical
              >interfaces and the push to rid our lives of DOS like Unca Bill is attempting
              >is sad, truly sad.

              >archives somewhere a small foot print >> of a Note Tab that might run on the
              >> 200LX.

              Like the others I never heard of an DOS version of NoteTab. First I
              knew is the Super NoteTab for Win 3.1 already mentioned by Harvey on
              the NTB list.

              Anyway, if you're looking for a good editor running on DOS maybe have
              a look at the TDE maintained by Jason Hood.

              http://www.geocities.com/jadoxa/tde/index.html

              Load the documentation package too, it's valuable. Most important
              key-stroke for starting to work with is CTRL+\ for invoking the menu
              IMHO. The rest is playing..

              Regards,
              Stefan
              --
              stefan elssner --- mailto:elssner@...

            • LaurieK
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 2, 2001
                Stefan wrote:

                > Anyway, if you're looking for a good editor running on DOS maybe have
                > a look at the TDE maintained by Jason Hood.
                >
                > http://www.geocities.com/jadoxa/tde/index.html
                >
                > Load the documentation package too, it's valuable. Most important
                > key-stroke for starting to work with is CTRL+\ for invoking the menu
                > IMHO. The rest is playing..

                Thanks Sefan, I'm just wondering, I downloaded all of the Zip files on that
                page, I am assuming they are all required? And it sounds like this is a
                multidocument editor? That's pretty cool.... I'll have it all downloaded
                in a few, will see if I can first check it out on my PC but.. I'm running
                Win2k.. ouch.. it might not work.

                OOPS, I have Win98 on here too... could check it out that way I s'pose :)

                Thanks again for the tip...

                Laurie
              • Harvey R. Savage
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 2, 2001
                  Stefan Elssner wrote:

                  > Hi Laurie,
                  > Like the others I never heard of an DOS version of NoteTab. First I
                  > knew is the Super NoteTab for Win 3.1 already mentioned by Harvey on
                  > the NTB list.
                  >
                  > Anyway, if you're looking for a good editor running on DOS maybe have
                  > a look at the TDE maintained by Jason Hood.
                  >
                  > http://www.geocities.com/jadoxa/tde/index.html
                  >
                  > Load the documentation package too, it's valuable. Most important
                  > key-stroke for starting to work with is CTRL+\ for invoking the menu
                  > IMHO. The rest is playing..
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  > Stefan
                  > --
                  Stefan, Laurie,

                  That's a great link for some of us, dos-diehards. I thought I
                  would check out TDE and found an updated version of my all time
                  favorite dos TSR-command line editor, CMDEDIT, I've used it
                  starting with version 1.

                  While on the subject of dos text editors I have to recommend VDE,
                  a free WordStar clone with great Fkey macro capability. If you
                  consider downloading then also, download the macro-converter.

                  http://members.aol.com/wolffsoft/vde.htm

                  hrs
                • Stefan Elssner
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 2, 2001
                    Hi Laurie,

                    >Thanks Sefan, I'm just wondering, I downloaded all of the Zip files on that
                    >page, I am assuming they are all required? And it sounds like this is a

                    Basically the only one you need is the binaries-zip. The editor should
                    run out of the box. The docu-zip contains some documentation that is
                    no longer included in the binaries package but is useful nevertheless.
                    If you like have esp. a look at the history.doc since it contains a
                    lot of the original documentation from Frank Davis.

                    The sources-zip isn't needed unless you want to recompile the program
                    for yourself.

                    >multidocument editor? That's pretty cool.... I'll have it all downloaded

                    Yes, it can open several documents simultanously in splitted windows -
                    within the limitiations of the dos-screen.

                    There are other very useful tools on the site, I forget to mention -
                    you will find them from the main page.

                    One I use everyday is cmdedit - Harvey mentioned it in his reply too.
                    It is a command-line editing tool like good ol' doskey - but better.
                    One featuere I never want to miss again is the filename completion as
                    you would have on a standard UNIX or Linux system.

                    Another tool esp. useful in conjunction with tde is tm - TextMode.
                    With this small utility you can easily change the number of rows (and
                    columns) of the dosscreen in a wide range of steps (if the device
                    supports it). It also works fine with the Win98 DOS-Prompt windows for
                    a lot of linecounts. (Not all mentioned in the docu seem to work,
                    anyway).

                    Regards,
                    Stefan

                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 2, 2001
                      > While on the subject of dos text editors I have to recommend VDE,
                      > a free WordStar clone with great Fkey macro capability. If you
                      > consider downloading then also, download the macro-converter.
                      >
                      > http://members.aol.com/wolffsoft/vde.htm

                      OOOOoooo HAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRVEY, be still my heart... such a TREASURE
                      TROVE of stuff...

                      I got it all.... can't wait to play.

                      after other things come first that is... I've got a huge undertaking going
                      on right now with my web stuff and well other lessons which both are on the
                      front burner right now but I gotta say, you are after my own heart.... I
                      LOVE THIS RESOURCE!! Thanks!!!

                      DOS RULES!! :)

                      Laurie
                    • Rick Friedline
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 2, 2001
                        At 09:27 AM 9/2/01 -0500, Harvey R. Savage wrote:

                        > > Anyway, if you're looking for a good editor running on DOS maybe
                        > have
                        > > a look at the TDE maintained by Jason Hood.
                        > >
                        > > http://www.geocities.com/jadoxa/tde/index.html

                        Since 1994 I've used a shareware DOS text editor called QEdit. Written
                        in assembly language it is only about 70k in size but very powerful.

                        In trying to track down this software I found that they still sell the
                        same version I own (2.15) and have upgraded the product to a more
                        advanced DOS version and a Windows version (neither of which I care
                        about.) They have also changed the name of the program to SemWare
                        Editor Junior (DOS) - it can be found at

                        http://www.semware.com/html/tsejrfl.html

                        which is the features page. This program includes Macro and Block
                        operation features, as well as an integrated Spell Checker. Worth a
                        look ...

                        It's a bit pricey at $49, but if you work in DOS a lot I believe it is
                        worth it ;-)

                        HTH someone ...

                        Rick Friedline