Excellent E-Mail Antivirus Tip - Read, Please!!

  • Carl Swann by way of Jody
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 27, 2001
      Hi All,

      From Carl Swann...

      This is a legit tip to incorporate for your e-mail program; thanks to
      Ol' Zorro...
      ==================================

      Avoid spreading computer viruses -- How to Trick your address book!

      Who among us doesn't know someone who has experienced the
      embarrassment of unknowingly spreading a computer virus via their
      email address book? It's time to STOP this from happening by TAKING
      CONTROL of your email program!

      For those who are unaware, many computer viruses spread themselves by
      sending themselves to everyone in your address book. Imagine how you
      would feel if you were unknowingly infected with a computer virus, and
      worse yet, your friends, family, and business contacts were being
      targeted by your computer! Well, if you want to avoid this sort of
      thing, here's a great tip: This tip won't prevent YOU from getting any
      viruses (you have to scan those attachments yourself before opening
      them to do that), but it will stop those viruses from latching onto
      your address book and sending itself out to others.

      To avoid spreading computer viruses, create a contact in your email
      address book with the name: !0000 (with no email address in the
      details). This contact will then show up as your first contact. If a
      virus attempts to do a "send all" on your contact list, your PC will
      put up an error message saying that: "The Message could not be sent.
      One or more recipients do not have an e-mail address. Please check
      your Address Book and make sure all the recipients have a valid e-mail
      address." You click on OK and the offending (virus) message would not
      have been sent to anyone. Of course no changes have been made to your
      original contacts list.

      The offending (virus) message may then be automatically stored in your
      "Drafts" or "Outbox" folder. Go in there and delete the offending
      message. Problem is solved and virus is not spread.

      (o o) "I know God won't give me anything I can't
      oOOo-(_)-oOOo handle. I just wish He didn't trust me so much."
      -- Mother Teresa