Win2k - Quickview?

  • Larry Hamilton
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 26, 2001
      Hey All,

      It's been a while! I moved from KC, MO to Michigan at the end of
      June. I still try to read the posts on the various lists, but I had to go
      web only on the clips list.

      Anyway, at work I got a new machine with Win2k professional.
      One thing I miss is quickview. I did not see anything in the
      installation directory that has quickview. Do any of you know if it is
      available for Win2K?

      So far NotePro works fine on Win2k. I have not tried some of my
      fancier clips yet, but so far, so good.

      Since it is a new PC it came with IE 6 and OE 6. I have not gotten
      Mailbag on the new PC yet, but has anyone had any problems
      getting Mailbag to work with OE6? I know how MS loves to change
      their file formats every time they "improve" a program. Office XP
      has some features I have found annoying, but I only got it
      Wednesday, so not a lot of time to figure it all out. Office 97 works
      fine on the old PC (which I have to keep since our company's
      newer programs do not run on Win9x, and the older programs do
      not run on Win2k.) At least now while I am waiting for win9x to
      reboot, I can still get work done. ; )

      Larry Hamilton, Jr.
      lm_hamilton@...
      http://notlimah.tripod.com/
      http://www.hamiltongensociety.org/

    • Scott Fordin
      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 28, 2001
        I use PowerDesk Pro (http://www.ontrack.com), which has
        a nice preview pane, among myriad other features. For
        years I've also been using FmView by Dieter Prifling
        (http://www.wincorner.com). FmView is very small, very
        fast, and provides right-click previews for many, many
        file types. It's commonly one of the first things I
        install when I rebuild one of my computers.

        Scott

        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 28, 2001
          Hi Larry,

          >It's been a while!

          Welcome back! I suppose you cannot do it off the W2K CD (Control
          Panel | Add/Remove Software | Windows Setup | Accessories) else
          you would not have asked. ;)

          >Anyway, at work I got a new machine with Win2k professional. One
          >thing I miss is quickview. I did not see anything in the
          >installation directory that has quickview. Do any of you know if
          >it is available for Win2K?

        • Larry Hamilton
          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 29, 2001
            Hi Jody,

            This is my first experience as a regular user of an NT based
            system, and here at the main office, the tech department handles
            the OS and MS-Office installs, and have all the CD's locked away.
            Since I am still taking baby steps in Win2k, I did not want to hose
            it in the first two weeks.

            Larry

            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 29, 2001
              Hi Scott,

              Thanks!

              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 29, 2001
                Hi Larry,

                Have the techs do it. ;)

                >This is my first experience as a regular user of an NT based
                >system, and here at the main office, the tech department handles
                >the OS and MS-Office installs, and have all the CD's locked away.
                >Since I am still taking baby steps in Win2k, I did not want to hose
                >it in the first two weeks.

              • Alec Burgess
                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 2, 2001
                  Hi Scott:
                  >>I use PowerDesk Pro (http://www.ontrack.com), which has
                  a nice preview pane, among myriad other features. For
                  years I've also been using FmView by Dieter Prifling
                  (http://www.wincorner.com). FmView is very small, very
                  fast, and provides right-click previews for many, many
                  file types.

                  I like the PowerDesk viewer, too; but I'm only using the freebie version. Before I rush off to d/l FmView can you tell me what FmView offers that Irfan doesn't?
                  Regards Alec
                  a nice preview pane, among myriad other features. For
                  years I've also been using FmView by Dieter Prifling
                  (http://www.wincorner.com). FmView is very small, very
                  fast, and provides right-click previews for many, many
                  file types. It's commonly one of the first things I
                  install when I rebuild one of my computers.

                  Scott

                  At 00:18 8/27/2001 -0400, you wrote:
                  >Hey All,
                  >
                  >It's been a while! I moved from KC, MO to Michigan at the end of
                  >June. I still try to read the posts on the various lists, but I had to go
                  >web only on the clips list.
                  >
                  >Anyway, at work I got a new machine with Win2k professional.
                  >One thing I miss is quickview. I did not see anything in the
                  >installation directory that has quickview. Do any of you know if it is
                  >available for Win2K?
                  >
                  >So far NotePro works fine on Win2k. I have not tried some of my
                  >fancier clips yet, but so far, so good.
                  >
                  >Since it is a new PC it came with IE 6 and OE 6. I have not gotten
                  >Mailbag on the new PC yet, but has anyone had any problems
                  >getting Mailbag to work with OE6? I know how MS loves to change
                  >their file formats every time they "improve" a program. Office XP
                  >has some features I have found annoying, but I only got it
                  >Wednesday, so not a lot of time to figure it all out. Office 97 works
                  >fine on the old PC (which I have to keep since our company's
                  >newer programs do not run on Win9x, and the older programs do
                  >not run on Win2k.) At least now while I am waiting for win9x to
                  >reboot, I can still get work done. ; )
                  >

                  >Larry Hamilton, Jr.
                  >lm_hamilton@...
                  >http://notlimah.tripod.com/
                  >Hamilton National Genealogical Society, Inc.
                  >http://www.hamiltongensociety.org/

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 2, 2001
                    Hi Alec & Scott,

                    > For years I've also been using FmView by Dieter Prifling
                    > (http://www.wincorner.com). FmView is very small, very fast,
                    > and provides right-click previews for many, many file types.

                    >I like the PowerDesk viewer, too; but I'm only using the freebie
                    >version.

                    I might buy that someday. I do not want the PowerDesk bar across
                    the bottom and the box (image) that popsup during shut down. If
                    there is not an option to get rid of the PowerDesk bar at the
                    bottom, I won't even consider buying it???

                    >Before I rush off to d/l FmView can you tell me what FmView
                    >offers that Irfan doesn't?

                    This is a nice little freeware image viewer; (I've been using
                    I_View for about 5 years I guess):

                    XnView
                    http://www.xnview.com or http://perso.wanadoo.fr/pierre.g

                    Somebody on the HTML list (?) mentioned it sometime back -
                    maybe Scott. ;)

                  • Steve Howes
                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 3, 2001
                      Irfanview can be found at www.irfanview.com as a you say a nice little image view with some image modifying options. And is freeware while FMView is shareware of course Irfanview is not integrated like FMView is into Windows Explorer. And I preferred it over XnView but that is my personal preference :-)

                      LnL,
                      Steve - Cheltenham, UK

                      On 03/09/01 at 01:18 Jody wrote:

                      >Hi Alec & Scott,
                      >>Before I rush off to d/l FmView can you tell me what FmView
                      >>offers that Irfan doesn't?
                      >
                      >This is a nice little freeware image viewer; (I've been using
                      >I_View for about 5 years I guess):
                      >
                      >XnView
                      >http://www.xnview.com or http://perso.wanadoo.fr/pierre.g
                      >
                      >Somebody on the HTML list (?) mentioned it sometime back -
                      >maybe Scott. ;)
                      >
                      >Happy Topics,
                      >Jody
                    • Rick Friedline
                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 3, 2001
                        At 01:18 AM 9/3/01 -0500, Jody wrote:

                        >I might buy that someday. I do not want the PowerDesk bar across
                        >the bottom and the box (image) that popsup during shut down. If
                        >there is not an option to get rid of the PowerDesk bar at the
                        >bottom, I won't even consider buying it???

                        Hi Jody,

                        I use PDPRo and I have no idea what you are talking about here :-)
                        Never saw anything like it ...

                        Rick Friedline

                        Message 11 of 24 , Sep 3, 2001
                          Hi Rick,

                          I guess that means that the gray (not black) bar across the
                          bottom like a status bar that says OnTrack and Power Desk is not
                          there in the Pro version - that is good to know. I'll probably
                          buy it for my new machine. This 350AMD is a bit slow to run it
                          on.

                          >> I might buy that someday. I do not want the PowerDesk bar
                          >> across the bottom and the box (image) that popsup during shut
                          >> down. If there is not an option to get rid of the PowerDesk
                          >> bar at the bottom, I won't even consider buying it???
                          >
                          >Hi Jody,
                          >
                          >I use PDPRo and I have no idea what you are talking about here :-
                          >) Never saw anything like it ...

                        • Rick Friedline
                          Message 12 of 24 , Sep 3, 2001
                            At 03:08 AM 9/3/01 -0500, Jody wrote:

                            >I guess that means that the gray (not black) bar across the
                            >bottom like a status bar that says OnTrack and Power Desk is not
                            >there in the Pro version - that is good to know. I'll probably
                            >buy it for my new machine. This 350AMD is a bit slow to run it
                            >on.

                            Nope - not on mine. I don't know about how it will run on an AMD 350
                            (guessing a K6?) But, it runs pretty well on my overclocked Celeron
                            300a (oc'd to 450.) It's only $17.95 to download the full version ...

                            BTW, I use it as my FTP client as well.

                            Best,
                            Rick

                          • Harvey R. Savage
                            Message 13 of 24 , Sep 3, 2001
                              Jody wrote:

                              > Hi Rick,
                              >
                              > I guess that means that the gray (not black) bar across the
                              > bottom like a status bar that says OnTrack and Power Desk is not
                              > there in the Pro version
                              >
                              > >> I do not want the PowerDesk bar
                              > >> across the bottom and the box (image) that popsup during shut
                              > >> down.
                              >
                              > Happy Topics,
                              > Jody

                              Hi Jody,

                              I've used PowerDesk Pro for quite a while. The bar across the
                              bottom turns into a status line (like many other programs) which
                              you can turn on or off.

                              The 'image' that flashes on shutdown is gone in PDPro. If you
                              noticed, that image only flashes on the first PD-FREE shutdown in
                              a Windows session, that is, after a new Win startup or reboot.

                              hrs
                            • Paul M. King
                              Message 14 of 24 , Sep 3, 2001
                                Jody:

                                I have been using Power Desk Pro for years. Can't get along
                                without it. I have never seen a bar across the bottom of the
                                screen nor any popups. Maybe you looked at another version.
                                I use v. 3.03a which I paid for. I summon the program from my
                                my Start menu and don't let it start up when I boot. PDP is much
                                superior to WIN98SE Explore for file manipulation. I especially
                                like the feature that permits me to treat compressed files like
                                all other files.

                                Paul King

                                Message 15 of 24 , Sep 3, 2001
                                  Hi Rick,

                                  Thanks, I'll be getting it someday. I try to get as many popular
                                  programs as I can so I can test with our software. I've known
                                  about PowerDesk and had it installed for over a year now. One of
                                  the main reasons I have not spent the measly $17.95 is because of
                                  the nagware classified as freeware. I've been revolting I guess
                                  you could say. FWIW, I have WinCommander installed to, and do
                                  not use it because I don't particularly care for it even though
                                  it is an excellent piece of software. ;) I think 2xPlorer R7 is
                                  a nice freeware file manager. For me, PowerDesk is the best for
                                  my preferences though.

                                  I have a few computers setup and hope to get my 486dx80 running
                                  again; all for testing purposes, well the wife and kids use the
                                  one I am currently using since the fire got their 486dx80 (which
                                  was my first PC). I'm slowly adding new stuff to my new machine,
                                  but do not know if I will go on line with it till our new house
                                  is built. (Yes, this 350AMD is a K6 3D processor.)

                                  >>I guess that means that the gray (not black) bar across the
                                  >>bottom like a status bar that says OnTrack and Power Desk is not
                                  >>there in the Pro version - that is good to know. I'll probably
                                  >>buy it for my new machine. This 350AMD is a bit slow to run it
                                  >>on.
                                  >
                                  >Nope - not on mine. I don't know about how it will run on an AMD
                                  >350 (guessing a K6?) But, it runs pretty well on my overclocked
                                  >Celeron 300a (oc'd to 450.) It's only $17.95 to download the full
                                  >version ...
                                  >
                                  >BTW, I use it as my FTP client as well.

                                  Thanks!
                                  Jody

                                  Clean-Funnies: click and send...
                                  mailto:c-f@...?subject=Subscribe
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Sep 3, 2001
                                    Hi Harvey and Others,

                                    Thanks for all the replies!

                                    >I've used PowerDesk Pro for quite a while. The bar across the
                                    >bottom turns into a status line (like many other programs) which
                                    >you can turn on or off.

                                    Thanks!

                                    >The 'image' that flashes on shutdown is gone in PDPro. If you
                                    >noticed, that image only flashes on the first PD-FREE shutdown in
                                    >a Windows session, that is, after a new Win startup or reboot.

                                    I keep my "Windows Explorer" (File Manager, etc.) open all the
                                    time so as far I am concerned, the box always pops up on shut
                                    down. <g>

                                  • Rick Friedline
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Sep 3, 2001
                                      At 01:00 PM 9/3/01 -0500, Jody wrote:

                                      >486dx80 (which
                                      >was my first PC). I'm slowly adding new stuff to my new machine,
                                      >but do not know if I will go on line with it till our new house
                                      >is built. (Yes, this 350AMD is a K6 3D processor.)

                                      Hey! That x80 was a sweet machine at that time - I built a 486dx100
                                      back in 1993(?) and kept it a looooooooooooong time since I swore it
                                      was faster than the "new" (then) Pentium chips. :-)

                                      What is your new machine, Jody?

                                      Rick

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Sep 3, 2001
                                        Hi Rick,

                                        >Hey! That x80 was a sweet machine at that time - I built a 486dx100
                                        >back in 1993(?) and kept it a looooooooooooong time since I swore it
                                        >was faster than the "new" (then) Pentium chips. :-)
                                        >
                                        >What is your new machine, Jody?

                                        1.1GHz AMD and an aBit motherboard, 256MB RAM, and 32MG geForce video
                                        adapter.

                                      • Scott Fordin
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Sep 4, 2001
                                          At 04:17 9/2/2001 -0400, Alec Burgess wrote:
                                          >I like the PowerDesk viewer, too; but I'm only using the freebie version.
                                          >Before I rush off to d/l FmView can you tell me what FmView offers that
                                          >Irfan doesn't?
                                          >Regards Alec

                                          Alec,

                                          IrfanView is nice, but I find that I use FmView far more often
                                          for several reasons:

                                          1. FmView provides right-click menu integration with
                                          Explorer (and PowerDesk!).

                                          2. FmView is very fast, and much smaller than IrfanView.

                                          3. FmView handles all sorts of files, not just graphics;
                                          text, DOC, ZIP, TAR, JAR, HLP, etc. Note that FmView
                                          lets you look at archive files -- a tree view so you
                                          can see what's in them -- but doesn't provide tools
                                          for actually compressing or decompressing stuff. You
                                          can look at files at various levels of detail, so,
                                          for example, when looking at an executable, you can
                                          see the icons in file, dump the strings, do a hex
                                          dump, or show detailed properties -- more detailed
                                          than Explorer's standard right-click Properties
                                          sheet. Another cool example is that you can look at
                                          the directory structure, compilation info, and a list
                                          of all topics in HLP files.

                                          4. FmView has a small but useful set of image processing
                                          filters. IrfanView has more, but given the small size,
                                          speed, and convenience of FmView, they're sufficient.
                                          If I really need to do more image processing, I use
                                          ThumbsPlus or Photoshop.

                                          5. Integrated text editor in text modes; press Ctrl+E
                                          when viewing any sort of text file puts you in edit
                                          mode, complete with search and replace, cut and paste,
                                          and other stuff. NoteTab is the far more robust text
                                          editor, of course, but for quick and dirty stuff,
                                          FmView's text editing feature is really handy.

                                          6. Incremental string searches when in text mode display
                                          for any kind of file; just start typing letters to
                                          initiate the search.

                                          That's all I have time for now. I suppose the bottom line is
                                          that IrfanView is more a graphics viewer, whereas FmView is
                                          a general graphics/text/binary viewer. IrfanView is very nice,
                                          but I find myself using FmView far more often.

                                          Regards,

                                          Scott
                                        • Scott Fordin
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Sep 4, 2001
                                            At 01:18 9/3/2001 -0500, you wrote:
                                            > >I like the PowerDesk viewer, too; but I'm only using the freebie
                                            > >version.
                                            >
                                            >I might buy that someday. I do not want the PowerDesk bar across
                                            >the bottom and the box (image) that popsup during shut down. If
                                            >there is not an option to get rid of the PowerDesk bar at the
                                            >bottom, I won't even consider buying it???

                                            The PowerDesk bar is not an issue as far as I've seen; you can
                                            customize the interface pretty much however you want. The for-
                                            real-money version also has a bunch of features that makes it
                                            worthwhile, as far as I'm concerned:

                                            1. Integrated file compression utilities

                                            2. Lots more file viewers -- including PDF, and
                                            a "live" collapsible/expandible tree view of
                                            compressed files.

                                            3. Integrated ftp client, which is handy for quick
                                            transfers.

                                            4. Integrated "Dialog Helper" utility; binds to File
                                            Open/Save dialogs and remembers what folders and
                                            files you've visited.

                                            5. Other stuff I can't remember right now because
                                            I've been using the Pro version so long I don't
                                            remember all that the free version doesn't include.

                                            > >Before I rush off to d/l FmView can you tell me what FmView
                                            > >offers that Irfan doesn't?

                                            Lots. Please see my earlier message.

                                            >This is a nice little freeware image viewer; (I've been using
                                            >I_View for about 5 years I guess):
                                            >
                                            >XnView
                                            >http://www.xnview.com or http://perso.wanadoo.fr/pierre.g

                                            XnView is nice too. I think in order of preference, I use
                                            FmView viewers and PowerDesk viewers the most (it pretty
                                            much depends on my mood), then ThumbsPlus, then Irfanview.
                                            I haven't reinstalled XnView since building my latest
                                            machine. Probably not as much an indictment of XnView as
                                            rather a data point showing my personal habits.

                                            Regards to all,

                                            Scott
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Sep 4, 2001
                                              Hi Scott

                                              > 1. Integrated file compression utilities

                                              No need for it; it would take me longer than to just do it like I do with my files now - click a button on my Clipbar and be done with it.

                                              > 2. Lots more file viewers -- including PDF, and
                                              > a "live" collapsible/expandible tree view of
                                              > compressed files.

                                              I might use that.

                                              > 3. Integrated ftp client, which is handy for quick
                                              > transfers.

                                              Same as number one. ;)

                                              > 4. Integrated "Dialog Helper" utility; binds to File
                                              > Open/Save dialogs and remembers what folders and
                                              > files you've visited.

                                              That might be handy.

                                              > 5. Other stuff I can't remember right now because
                                              > I've been using the Pro version so long I don't
                                              > remember all that the free version doesn't include.

                                              I might like them as well. <bg>

                                              >FmView

                                              I missed the link, and only need it if it is freeware. I_View
                                              is really all I need since the only thing I use image viewers
                                              for it to take a quick peek at an image. I use PSP otherwise.

                                            • LaurieK
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Sep 4, 2001
                                                I have seen countless numbers of posts in this group regarding PowerDesk a
                                                fancy Explorer type program, and I went to see what all the fuss was about.

                                                Its cool, but in response to Scott Fordin's post involving FmView, I thought
                                                I might mention FM Edit 2001, man its a handy Explorer type program. You
                                                can have split screens so you can see two instances at once, if not using
                                                split screen you can click on any file, graphic/html/zip/text and
                                                automatically view it on the right. If a zip file, it shows the contents,
                                                you click on say a text file within the zip and you are reading it....its a
                                                pretty handy application....

                                                So my 2 cents worth... check it out...

                                                http://www.fmedit.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/html/fmedit.htm

                                                Laurie
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Sep 4, 2001
                                                  Hi Scott,

                                                  Thanks Scott. I looked around and found the link. Downloading
                                                  now and will let you all know which I like better (PD or FmView)
                                                  FWIW. I have some type of viewer, catalog thingie or something
                                                  on those lines from JACS (PSP) but never got around to installing
                                                  it. ;) nite...