Re: [NTO] Directory Sizes/Copying Files

    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 17, 2001
      Hi Jim,

      Thanks for the tips. I think some Clips could come in handy too.
      I won't be doing Windows and programs that use files outside
      their structure because I want it all clean. I know I must have
      a lot of registry entries and dll's that I don't use. (I have
      utilities to clean it up, but they are not perfect.

      >> > I still think my best bet is to crank up this drive, actually
      >> > two, on the other machine and just drag/drop what I want.
      >

      >Personnally I do it this way myself because it is so much easier
      >and faster.
      >
      >Mostly it is very straight forward and most files copy across
      >with no problems.
      >
      >BUT, there is a small problem here that one wants to pay
      >attention to in 2 areas.
      >
      >1. You want to drag and drop with the RIGHT MOUSE BUTTON, and
      >select Copy Here. Else you can end up with a lot of shortcuts
      >that you didn't want (for.exe files). It isn't supposed to do
      >that, copying from drive to drive BUT.....
      >
      >2. Although it is slower, it is a good idea to transfer small
      >groups at a time and start at the top and copy one directory at a
      >time. One file in a subdirectory in the directory that can't be
      >copied stops the whole process, and it doesn't necessarily copy
      >files in alphabetical order.
      >
      >When it screws up you have to try to figure out what didn't get
      >copied and select the rest and compare the number of files in
      >each dir etc.
      >
      >Usually when it screws up, it is due to contaminated files,
      >overly long file names, or files currently in use.
      >
      >Normally I Delete what I just copied last and break it down into
      >smaller increments and copy a little at a time.
      >
      >All in all though it is much faster and quite dependable to just
      >go disk to disk.
      >
      >At one point in time I even had the Win98 CD on an old 500MB
      >drive and I just put it in to use to install Windows on a new
      >drive. It is a lot faster than a CDROM. :-)
      >
      >BTW You can copy all files over and then reload Windows and it
      >will rebuild your registry and add all registerable files for you
      >and you can basically have a clone of your old drive in no time.
      >Unfortunaltely you still have to arrange your desktop and copy your .pwd and .pwl files over again after
      >reloading windows.
      >

      >Regards,
      >
      >Jim

      Thanks!
      Jody

      Clean-Funnies: click and send...
      mailto:c-f@...?subject=Subscribe
    • Alec Burgess
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 18, 2001
        One more on the Directory Sizes issue: (from a recent Lockergnome
        newsletter)
        --------
        DirGraph v1.3.1 [3k] W9x/NT/2k FREE {Eyeball your disk inventory} How much
        space is that new folder taking up, anyway? As they say: "a graphical
        representation is worth a thousand words." Now you can see just how much
        space is on your hard drive, and which programs are taking up the biggest
        chunk of your system's resources. Hmmm... perhaps I shouldn't have
        downloaded fifty different versions of Solitaire after all? Dig even deeper
        by clicking on a section to examine it closer. You can also query more than
        one drive at a time. "It also supports color coding its display by file
        dates, so you can see at a glance how much of the space used is occupied by
        files that haven't been access for an age ."
        http://www.spillett.net/dirgraph/DirGraph.zip <-download
        http://www.spillett.net/dirgraph/ <-description
        http://screenshot.lockergnome.com/dirgraph.png <-screenshot
        -------
        This one has a neat graphical picture of where space is being used and can
        be used to spot forgotten folder trees that are just wasting space. It can
        be added to the normal rContext menu for folders.

        I use the FolderSize Properties shell-extension to periodically capture an
        exploded drive tree or before a significant download. By using Norton's
        Ncompare program in diff's only mode you can spot anomalies (eg. someone
        trying to sneak in sypware or folders that are growing "too" fast)
      • Marcus
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 21, 2001
          On 18.08.01 at 16:40 Alec Burgess wrote:
          > By using Norton's
          >Ncompare program in diff's only mode you can spot anomalies (eg.
          someone
          >trying to sneak in sypware or folders that are growing "too" fast)

          Where is Ncompare to be found?
          Is it part of a larger package?

          Marcus
        • Mars Descent
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 21, 2001
            At 06:37 AM 8/21/01, you wrote:
            >On 18.08.01 at 16:40 Alec Burgess wrote:
            >> By using Norton's
            >>Ncompare program in diff's only mode you can spot anomalies (eg.
            >someone
            >>trying to sneak in sypware or folders that are growing "too" fast)
            >
            >Where is Ncompare to be found?
            >Is it part of a larger package?

            Norton Utilities.

            I hated it. It was pathetic. IMO. My Norton trial expired of
            course. You kept having to click *TRY* all the time every time you ran
            it. You could compare two files. I can't remember what was real limiting
            about it now, but it didn't seem like it would let me do much at all.

            I can't see what Norton helps, except system bloat. And adding more icons
            to the desktop and lower tray.