Re: [NTO] Directory Sizes

    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 17, 2001
      Hi Marcus, Steve, Marco, Ben, and All, (In no order of preference:)

      Hey, you know what would be neat? I'll tell you anyway. ;)

      Sorting horizontally with a Clip.

      All, Ben, Marco, Marcus, Steve ;)

      >The problem with Explorer is that you don't get sub-totals, so
      >you don't know which folders are taking up how much space unless
      >you click each one separately.

      I did not want subtotals listed. Just the complete size of the
      whole tree.

      In my DirStuff there is a Clip called "Total File Size 4.83..."

      It takes awhile for large drives/folders though. It is not the
      MB, but the amount of files that make a difference in the speed.

      -- My NoteTab drive
      736.35Mb
      17742

      E:\
      *.*

      -- My utility drive
      92.27Mb
      645

      F:\
      *.*

      -- One of my download/storage drives
      565.25Mb
      1534

      M:\
      *.*

      I still think my best bet is to crank up this drive, actually two,
      on the other machine and just drag/drop what I want.

      http://www.notetab.net/zip/dirstuff.zip

      Marcus,

      I have 2fexplorer around somewhere. ;) OK, from Tools | Folder
      Data... (Ctrl+D), how do it copy the list?

      TreeSize (Freeware is the one I was thinking of when I said,
      "freeware utility." :) Although it does not allow one to do a
      copy. I do not want to print. I suppose the shareware one has
      different ways of copying.

      Marco,
      I have DOS Clips already to get stats from drives/folders and/or
      subs in my DirStuff. I do not like the DOS output though. ;)

      Thanks Steve/Ben, your Folder Size works well and can add the tree to
      a file. ;)

      Thanks All.

    • Marcus
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 17, 2001
        On 17.08.01 at 13:59 Jody wrote:
        >I still think my best bet is to crank up this drive, actually two,
        >on the other machine and just drag/drop what I want.

        You just need to keep track of the ones you've done and not done. I
        find that's the sticking point, unless you copy all the files you've
        selected in one go.

        One way, would be to use a backup tool. How about that?

        If you copy all files over, or partitions, then a cloning tool is good.
        If you need to copy your OS for example. Norton Ghost is a good one.

        >I have 2fexplorer around somewhere. ;) OK, from Tools | Folder
        >Data... (Ctrl+D), how do it copy the list?

        Exactly, the problem I had. I did mail the author about it, but I can't
        remember if there's a way.

        Marcus
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 17, 2001
          Hi Marcus,

          >> I still think my best bet is to crank up this drive, actually
          >> two, on the other machine and just drag/drop what I want.
          >
          >You just need to keep track of the ones you've done and not done.
          >I find that's the sticking point, unless you copy all the files
          >you've selected in one go.

          I would simply open a Paste Board and have my output go there from
          my Clip if I was going to do it that way or ^!AppendToFile. ;)

          >One way, would be to use a backup tool. How about that?

          My new 'puter already has the sides off. It is three screws on
          this one. I simply unplug a cable and plug it in on the new one.
          Drag/drop whatever I want.

          One of the Folder size utilities mentioned did allow to save the
          output to a file.

        • J.E.HALL
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 17, 2001
            At 02:47 AM 8/18/01 +0200, you wrote:
            >On 17.08.01 at 13:59 Jody wrote:
            > >I still think my best bet is to crank up this drive, actually two,
            > >on the other machine and just drag/drop what I want.

            Personnally I do it this way myself because it is so much easier and faster.

            Mostly it is very straight forward and most files copy across with no problems.

            BUT, there is a small problem here that one wants to pay attention to in 2
            areas.

            1. You want to drag and drop with the RIGHT MOUSE BUTTON, and select Copy
            Here. Else you can end up with a lot of shortcuts that you didn't want (for
            .exe files). It isn't supposed to do that, copying from drive to drive BUT.....

            2. Although it is slower, it is a good idea to transfer small groups at a
            time and start at the top and copy one directory at a time. One file in a
            subdirectory in the directory that can't be copied stops the whole process,
            and it doesn't necessarily copy files in alphabetical order.

            When it screws up you have to try to figure out what didn't get copied and
            select the rest and compare the number of files in each dir etc.

            Usually when it screws up, it is due to contaminated files, overly long
            file names, or files currently in use.

            Normally I Delete what I just copied last and break it down into smaller
            increments and copy a little at a time.

            All in all though it is much faster and quite dependable to just go disk to
            disk.

            At one point in time I even had the Win98 CD on an old 500MB drive and I
            just put it in to use to install Windows on a new drive. It is a lot faster
            than a CDROM. :-)

            BTW You can copy all files over and then reload Windows and it will rebuild
            your registry and add all registerable files for you and you can basically
            have a clone of your old drive in no time. Unfortunaltely you still have to
            arrange your desktop and copy your .pwd and .pwl files over again after
            reloading windows.

            Regards,

            Jim

            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 17, 2001
              Hi Jim,

              Thanks for the tips. I think some Clips could come in handy too.
              I won't be doing Windows and programs that use files outside
              their structure because I want it all clean. I know I must have
              a lot of registry entries and dll's that I don't use. (I have
              utilities to clean it up, but they are not perfect.

              >> > I still think my best bet is to crank up this drive, actually
              >> > two, on the other machine and just drag/drop what I want.
              >

              >Personnally I do it this way myself because it is so much easier
              >and faster.
              >
              >Mostly it is very straight forward and most files copy across
              >with no problems.
              >
              >BUT, there is a small problem here that one wants to pay
              >attention to in 2 areas.
              >
              >1. You want to drag and drop with the RIGHT MOUSE BUTTON, and
              >select Copy Here. Else you can end up with a lot of shortcuts
              >that you didn't want (for.exe files). It isn't supposed to do
              >that, copying from drive to drive BUT.....
              >
              >2. Although it is slower, it is a good idea to transfer small
              >groups at a time and start at the top and copy one directory at a
              >time. One file in a subdirectory in the directory that can't be
              >copied stops the whole process, and it doesn't necessarily copy
              >files in alphabetical order.
              >
              >When it screws up you have to try to figure out what didn't get
              >copied and select the rest and compare the number of files in
              >each dir etc.
              >
              >Usually when it screws up, it is due to contaminated files,
              >overly long file names, or files currently in use.
              >
              >Normally I Delete what I just copied last and break it down into
              >smaller increments and copy a little at a time.
              >
              >All in all though it is much faster and quite dependable to just
              >go disk to disk.
              >
              >At one point in time I even had the Win98 CD on an old 500MB
              >drive and I just put it in to use to install Windows on a new
              >drive. It is a lot faster than a CDROM. :-)
              >
              >BTW You can copy all files over and then reload Windows and it
              >will rebuild your registry and add all registerable files for you
              >and you can basically have a clone of your old drive in no time.
              >Unfortunaltely you still have to arrange your desktop and copy your .pwd and .pwl files over again after
              >reloading windows.
              >

              >Regards,
              >
              >Jim

              Thanks!
              Jody

              Clean-Funnies: click and send...
              mailto:c-f@...?subject=Subscribe
            • Alec Burgess
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 18, 2001
                One more on the Directory Sizes issue: (from a recent Lockergnome
                newsletter)
                --------
                DirGraph v1.3.1 [3k] W9x/NT/2k FREE {Eyeball your disk inventory} How much
                space is that new folder taking up, anyway? As they say: "a graphical
                representation is worth a thousand words." Now you can see just how much
                space is on your hard drive, and which programs are taking up the biggest
                chunk of your system's resources. Hmmm... perhaps I shouldn't have
                downloaded fifty different versions of Solitaire after all? Dig even deeper
                by clicking on a section to examine it closer. You can also query more than
                one drive at a time. "It also supports color coding its display by file
                dates, so you can see at a glance how much of the space used is occupied by
                files that haven't been access for an age ."
                http://www.spillett.net/dirgraph/DirGraph.zip <-download
                http://www.spillett.net/dirgraph/ <-description
                http://screenshot.lockergnome.com/dirgraph.png <-screenshot
                -------
                This one has a neat graphical picture of where space is being used and can
                be used to spot forgotten folder trees that are just wasting space. It can
                be added to the normal rContext menu for folders.

                I use the FolderSize Properties shell-extension to periodically capture an
                exploded drive tree or before a significant download. By using Norton's
                Ncompare program in diff's only mode you can spot anomalies (eg. someone
                trying to sneak in sypware or folders that are growing "too" fast)
              • Marcus
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 21, 2001
                  On 18.08.01 at 16:40 Alec Burgess wrote:
                  > By using Norton's
                  >Ncompare program in diff's only mode you can spot anomalies (eg.
                  someone
                  >trying to sneak in sypware or folders that are growing "too" fast)

                  Where is Ncompare to be found?
                  Is it part of a larger package?

                  Marcus
                • Mars Descent
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 21, 2001
                    At 06:37 AM 8/21/01, you wrote:
                    >On 18.08.01 at 16:40 Alec Burgess wrote:
                    >> By using Norton's
                    >>Ncompare program in diff's only mode you can spot anomalies (eg.
                    >someone
                    >>trying to sneak in sypware or folders that are growing "too" fast)
                    >
                    >Where is Ncompare to be found?
                    >Is it part of a larger package?

                    Norton Utilities.

                    I hated it. It was pathetic. IMO. My Norton trial expired of
                    course. You kept having to click *TRY* all the time every time you ran
                    it. You could compare two files. I can't remember what was real limiting
                    about it now, but it didn't seem like it would let me do much at all.

                    I can't see what Norton helps, except system bloat. And adding more icons
                    to the desktop and lower tray.