Re: [NTO] Directory Sizes

  • Ben Barnet
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 17, 2001
      Marcus wrote:

      > The problem with Explorer is that you don't get sub-totals, so you
      > don't know which folders are taking up how much space unless you click
      > each one separately.

      You might want to look at Folder Size, available here;

      http://space.dolphin.free.fr/

      "Folder Size Shell Extension is a free shell extension for
      Windows 95/98 and NT. It adds a new tab to the Properties dialog
      that displays a folder's and drive's size. This new page allows
      you see the folders and sub folders sizes (in a hierarchical
      tree). To access to the options (units, sort, etc.) a contextual
      menu is provided. Folder Size Shell Extension delivers useful
      information and integrates well into Windows 95/98 and NT's
      existing structure."

      I find it very useful.

      HTH
      Ben
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 17, 2001
        Hi Marcus, Steve, Marco, Ben, and All, (In no order of preference:)

        Hey, you know what would be neat? I'll tell you anyway. ;)

        Sorting horizontally with a Clip.

        All, Ben, Marco, Marcus, Steve ;)

        >The problem with Explorer is that you don't get sub-totals, so
        >you don't know which folders are taking up how much space unless
        >you click each one separately.

        I did not want subtotals listed. Just the complete size of the
        whole tree.

        In my DirStuff there is a Clip called "Total File Size 4.83..."

        It takes awhile for large drives/folders though. It is not the
        MB, but the amount of files that make a difference in the speed.

        -- My NoteTab drive
        736.35Mb
        17742

        E:\
        *.*

        -- My utility drive
        92.27Mb
        645

        F:\
        *.*

        -- One of my download/storage drives
        565.25Mb
        1534

        M:\
        *.*

        I still think my best bet is to crank up this drive, actually two,
        on the other machine and just drag/drop what I want.

        http://www.notetab.net/zip/dirstuff.zip

        Marcus,

        I have 2fexplorer around somewhere. ;) OK, from Tools | Folder
        Data... (Ctrl+D), how do it copy the list?

        TreeSize (Freeware is the one I was thinking of when I said,
        "freeware utility." :) Although it does not allow one to do a
        copy. I do not want to print. I suppose the shareware one has
        different ways of copying.

        Marco,
        I have DOS Clips already to get stats from drives/folders and/or
        subs in my DirStuff. I do not like the DOS output though. ;)

        Thanks Steve/Ben, your Folder Size works well and can add the tree to
        a file. ;)

        Thanks All.

      • Marcus
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 17, 2001
          On 17.08.01 at 13:59 Jody wrote:
          >I still think my best bet is to crank up this drive, actually two,
          >on the other machine and just drag/drop what I want.

          You just need to keep track of the ones you've done and not done. I
          find that's the sticking point, unless you copy all the files you've
          selected in one go.

          One way, would be to use a backup tool. How about that?

          If you copy all files over, or partitions, then a cloning tool is good.
          If you need to copy your OS for example. Norton Ghost is a good one.

          >I have 2fexplorer around somewhere. ;) OK, from Tools | Folder
          >Data... (Ctrl+D), how do it copy the list?

          Exactly, the problem I had. I did mail the author about it, but I can't
          remember if there's a way.

          Marcus
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 17, 2001
            Hi Marcus,

            >> I still think my best bet is to crank up this drive, actually
            >> two, on the other machine and just drag/drop what I want.
            >
            >You just need to keep track of the ones you've done and not done.
            >I find that's the sticking point, unless you copy all the files
            >you've selected in one go.

            I would simply open a Paste Board and have my output go there from
            my Clip if I was going to do it that way or ^!AppendToFile. ;)

            >One way, would be to use a backup tool. How about that?

            My new 'puter already has the sides off. It is three screws on
            this one. I simply unplug a cable and plug it in on the new one.
            Drag/drop whatever I want.

            One of the Folder size utilities mentioned did allow to save the
            output to a file.

          • J.E.HALL
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 17, 2001
              At 02:47 AM 8/18/01 +0200, you wrote:
              >On 17.08.01 at 13:59 Jody wrote:
              > >I still think my best bet is to crank up this drive, actually two,
              > >on the other machine and just drag/drop what I want.

              Personnally I do it this way myself because it is so much easier and faster.

              Mostly it is very straight forward and most files copy across with no problems.

              BUT, there is a small problem here that one wants to pay attention to in 2
              areas.

              1. You want to drag and drop with the RIGHT MOUSE BUTTON, and select Copy
              Here. Else you can end up with a lot of shortcuts that you didn't want (for
              .exe files). It isn't supposed to do that, copying from drive to drive BUT.....

              2. Although it is slower, it is a good idea to transfer small groups at a
              time and start at the top and copy one directory at a time. One file in a
              subdirectory in the directory that can't be copied stops the whole process,
              and it doesn't necessarily copy files in alphabetical order.

              When it screws up you have to try to figure out what didn't get copied and
              select the rest and compare the number of files in each dir etc.

              Usually when it screws up, it is due to contaminated files, overly long
              file names, or files currently in use.

              Normally I Delete what I just copied last and break it down into smaller
              increments and copy a little at a time.

              All in all though it is much faster and quite dependable to just go disk to
              disk.

              At one point in time I even had the Win98 CD on an old 500MB drive and I
              just put it in to use to install Windows on a new drive. It is a lot faster
              than a CDROM. :-)

              BTW You can copy all files over and then reload Windows and it will rebuild
              your registry and add all registerable files for you and you can basically
              have a clone of your old drive in no time. Unfortunaltely you still have to
              arrange your desktop and copy your .pwd and .pwl files over again after
              reloading windows.

              Regards,

              Jim

              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 17, 2001
                Hi Jim,

                Thanks for the tips. I think some Clips could come in handy too.
                I won't be doing Windows and programs that use files outside
                their structure because I want it all clean. I know I must have
                a lot of registry entries and dll's that I don't use. (I have
                utilities to clean it up, but they are not perfect.

                >> > I still think my best bet is to crank up this drive, actually
                >> > two, on the other machine and just drag/drop what I want.
                >

                >Personnally I do it this way myself because it is so much easier
                >and faster.
                >
                >Mostly it is very straight forward and most files copy across
                >with no problems.
                >
                >BUT, there is a small problem here that one wants to pay
                >attention to in 2 areas.
                >
                >1. You want to drag and drop with the RIGHT MOUSE BUTTON, and
                >select Copy Here. Else you can end up with a lot of shortcuts
                >that you didn't want (for.exe files). It isn't supposed to do
                >that, copying from drive to drive BUT.....
                >
                >2. Although it is slower, it is a good idea to transfer small
                >groups at a time and start at the top and copy one directory at a
                >time. One file in a subdirectory in the directory that can't be
                >copied stops the whole process, and it doesn't necessarily copy
                >files in alphabetical order.
                >
                >When it screws up you have to try to figure out what didn't get
                >copied and select the rest and compare the number of files in
                >each dir etc.
                >
                >Usually when it screws up, it is due to contaminated files,
                >overly long file names, or files currently in use.
                >
                >Normally I Delete what I just copied last and break it down into
                >smaller increments and copy a little at a time.
                >
                >All in all though it is much faster and quite dependable to just
                >go disk to disk.
                >
                >At one point in time I even had the Win98 CD on an old 500MB
                >drive and I just put it in to use to install Windows on a new
                >drive. It is a lot faster than a CDROM. :-)
                >
                >BTW You can copy all files over and then reload Windows and it
                >will rebuild your registry and add all registerable files for you
                >and you can basically have a clone of your old drive in no time.
                >Unfortunaltely you still have to arrange your desktop and copy your .pwd and .pwl files over again after
                >reloading windows.
                >

                >Regards,
                >
                >Jim

                Thanks!
                Jody

                Clean-Funnies: click and send...
                mailto:c-f@...?subject=Subscribe
              • Alec Burgess
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 18, 2001
                  One more on the Directory Sizes issue: (from a recent Lockergnome
                  newsletter)
                  --------
                  DirGraph v1.3.1 [3k] W9x/NT/2k FREE {Eyeball your disk inventory} How much
                  space is that new folder taking up, anyway? As they say: "a graphical
                  representation is worth a thousand words." Now you can see just how much
                  space is on your hard drive, and which programs are taking up the biggest
                  chunk of your system's resources. Hmmm... perhaps I shouldn't have
                  downloaded fifty different versions of Solitaire after all? Dig even deeper
                  by clicking on a section to examine it closer. You can also query more than
                  one drive at a time. "It also supports color coding its display by file
                  dates, so you can see at a glance how much of the space used is occupied by
                  files that haven't been access for an age ."
                  http://www.spillett.net/dirgraph/DirGraph.zip <-download
                  http://www.spillett.net/dirgraph/ <-description
                  http://screenshot.lockergnome.com/dirgraph.png <-screenshot
                  -------
                  This one has a neat graphical picture of where space is being used and can
                  be used to spot forgotten folder trees that are just wasting space. It can
                  be added to the normal rContext menu for folders.

                  I use the FolderSize Properties shell-extension to periodically capture an
                  exploded drive tree or before a significant download. By using Norton's
                  Ncompare program in diff's only mode you can spot anomalies (eg. someone
                  trying to sneak in sypware or folders that are growing "too" fast)
                • Marcus
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 21, 2001
                    On 18.08.01 at 16:40 Alec Burgess wrote:
                    > By using Norton's
                    >Ncompare program in diff's only mode you can spot anomalies (eg.
                    someone
                    >trying to sneak in sypware or folders that are growing "too" fast)

                    Where is Ncompare to be found?
                    Is it part of a larger package?

                    Marcus
                  • Mars Descent
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 21, 2001
                      At 06:37 AM 8/21/01, you wrote:
                      >On 18.08.01 at 16:40 Alec Burgess wrote:
                      >> By using Norton's
                      >>Ncompare program in diff's only mode you can spot anomalies (eg.
                      >someone
                      >>trying to sneak in sypware or folders that are growing "too" fast)
                      >
                      >Where is Ncompare to be found?
                      >Is it part of a larger package?

                      Norton Utilities.

                      I hated it. It was pathetic. IMO. My Norton trial expired of
                      course. You kept having to click *TRY* all the time every time you ran
                      it. You could compare two files. I can't remember what was real limiting
                      about it now, but it didn't seem like it would let me do much at all.

                      I can't see what Norton helps, except system bloat. And adding more icons
                      to the desktop and lower tray.