Re: [NTO] Directory Sizes

  • Marco Bernardini
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 17, 2001

      Alle 18.16 Thursday 16/08/2001 -0500, Jody ha mandato a Marco questo messaggio:

      >Does anybody know the link to one of those freeware utilities
      >that adds up all the file sizes including the sub's under the
      >parent folder?

      Jody,
      what about old fashioned DOS?

      Try

      DIR /O:N /S > dirlist.txt

      and

      DIR /? for a quick help.

      Bye!

      Marco
    • Marcus
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 17, 2001
        On 16.08.01 at 18:16 Jody wrote:
        >Does anybody know the link to one of those freeware utilities
        >that adds up all the file sizes including the sub's under the
        >parent folder?

        I think 2X Explorer is very cool. It's actually a filemanager and under
        "Tools/Folder Data" it has a file and directory size lister. It's also
        fast, and you can move around directories entirely with the keyboard.

        http://personal-pages.ps.ic.ac.uk/~umeca74

        I also found TreeSize a while ago. This one is very fast and creates
        pie and bar charts as well as text statistics. There's an old freeware
        version I can't comment on. I got a special edition version from
        computerchannel(.de?, not sure if it's international). Have a look
        there, they have a lot of special editions which are free.

        http://www.jam-software.com/

        Marcus
      • h.paulissen
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 17, 2001
          Jody,

          >Does anybody know the link to one of those freeware utilities
          that adds up all the file sizes including the sub's under the
          parent folder?

          You only need these things every once in a while, and probably
          you've already done what you wanted to do, but here is a link to one
          of them:

          www.ministars.com goto diskinfo
        • Marcus
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 17, 2001
            On 16.08.01 at 21:18 Jim Hall wrote:
            >I use Windows Explorer, simply highlight the folder, RIGHT CLICK, and
            >select Properties, and watch it count.

            Or, for keyboarders, select drive and press Alt+Enter.

            The problem with Explorer is that you don't get sub-totals, so you
            don't know which folders are taking up how much space unless you click
            each one separately.

            Marcus
          • Steve Howes
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 17, 2001
              Does anybody know the link to one of those freeware utilities
              that adds up all the file sizes including the sub's under the
              parent folder?

              I use a Windows Explorer File Extension "Folder Size Property Page" from
              http://space.dolphin.free.fr/Windows/dfolder.html it adds a page to the
              properties dialog of your folders and drives so that you can see directory
              and sub-directory sizes of that drive or folder.

              LnL,
              Steve - Cheltenham, UK
            • Ben Barnet
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 17, 2001
                Marcus wrote:

                > The problem with Explorer is that you don't get sub-totals, so you
                > don't know which folders are taking up how much space unless you click
                > each one separately.

                You might want to look at Folder Size, available here;

                http://space.dolphin.free.fr/

                "Folder Size Shell Extension is a free shell extension for
                Windows 95/98 and NT. It adds a new tab to the Properties dialog
                that displays a folder's and drive's size. This new page allows
                you see the folders and sub folders sizes (in a hierarchical
                tree). To access to the options (units, sort, etc.) a contextual
                menu is provided. Folder Size Shell Extension delivers useful
                information and integrates well into Windows 95/98 and NT's
                existing structure."

                I find it very useful.

                HTH
                Ben
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 17, 2001
                  Hi Marcus, Steve, Marco, Ben, and All, (In no order of preference:)

                  Hey, you know what would be neat? I'll tell you anyway. ;)

                  Sorting horizontally with a Clip.

                  All, Ben, Marco, Marcus, Steve ;)

                  >The problem with Explorer is that you don't get sub-totals, so
                  >you don't know which folders are taking up how much space unless
                  >you click each one separately.

                  I did not want subtotals listed. Just the complete size of the
                  whole tree.

                  In my DirStuff there is a Clip called "Total File Size 4.83..."

                  It takes awhile for large drives/folders though. It is not the
                  MB, but the amount of files that make a difference in the speed.

                  -- My NoteTab drive
                  736.35Mb
                  17742

                  E:\
                  *.*

                  -- My utility drive
                  92.27Mb
                  645

                  F:\
                  *.*

                  -- One of my download/storage drives
                  565.25Mb
                  1534

                  M:\
                  *.*

                  I still think my best bet is to crank up this drive, actually two,
                  on the other machine and just drag/drop what I want.

                  http://www.notetab.net/zip/dirstuff.zip

                  Marcus,

                  I have 2fexplorer around somewhere. ;) OK, from Tools | Folder
                  Data... (Ctrl+D), how do it copy the list?

                  TreeSize (Freeware is the one I was thinking of when I said,
                  "freeware utility." :) Although it does not allow one to do a
                  copy. I do not want to print. I suppose the shareware one has
                  different ways of copying.

                  Marco,
                  I have DOS Clips already to get stats from drives/folders and/or
                  subs in my DirStuff. I do not like the DOS output though. ;)

                  Thanks Steve/Ben, your Folder Size works well and can add the tree to
                  a file. ;)

                  Thanks All.

                • Marcus
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 17, 2001
                    On 17.08.01 at 13:59 Jody wrote:
                    >I still think my best bet is to crank up this drive, actually two,
                    >on the other machine and just drag/drop what I want.

                    You just need to keep track of the ones you've done and not done. I
                    find that's the sticking point, unless you copy all the files you've
                    selected in one go.

                    One way, would be to use a backup tool. How about that?

                    If you copy all files over, or partitions, then a cloning tool is good.
                    If you need to copy your OS for example. Norton Ghost is a good one.

                    >I have 2fexplorer around somewhere. ;) OK, from Tools | Folder
                    >Data... (Ctrl+D), how do it copy the list?

                    Exactly, the problem I had. I did mail the author about it, but I can't
                    remember if there's a way.

                    Marcus
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 17, 2001
                      Hi Marcus,

                      >> I still think my best bet is to crank up this drive, actually
                      >> two, on the other machine and just drag/drop what I want.
                      >
                      >You just need to keep track of the ones you've done and not done.
                      >I find that's the sticking point, unless you copy all the files
                      >you've selected in one go.

                      I would simply open a Paste Board and have my output go there from
                      my Clip if I was going to do it that way or ^!AppendToFile. ;)

                      >One way, would be to use a backup tool. How about that?

                      My new 'puter already has the sides off. It is three screws on
                      this one. I simply unplug a cable and plug it in on the new one.
                      Drag/drop whatever I want.

                      One of the Folder size utilities mentioned did allow to save the
                      output to a file.

                    • J.E.HALL
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 17, 2001
                        At 02:47 AM 8/18/01 +0200, you wrote:
                        >On 17.08.01 at 13:59 Jody wrote:
                        > >I still think my best bet is to crank up this drive, actually two,
                        > >on the other machine and just drag/drop what I want.

                        Personnally I do it this way myself because it is so much easier and faster.

                        Mostly it is very straight forward and most files copy across with no problems.

                        BUT, there is a small problem here that one wants to pay attention to in 2
                        areas.

                        1. You want to drag and drop with the RIGHT MOUSE BUTTON, and select Copy
                        Here. Else you can end up with a lot of shortcuts that you didn't want (for
                        .exe files). It isn't supposed to do that, copying from drive to drive BUT.....

                        2. Although it is slower, it is a good idea to transfer small groups at a
                        time and start at the top and copy one directory at a time. One file in a
                        subdirectory in the directory that can't be copied stops the whole process,
                        and it doesn't necessarily copy files in alphabetical order.

                        When it screws up you have to try to figure out what didn't get copied and
                        select the rest and compare the number of files in each dir etc.

                        Usually when it screws up, it is due to contaminated files, overly long
                        file names, or files currently in use.

                        Normally I Delete what I just copied last and break it down into smaller
                        increments and copy a little at a time.

                        All in all though it is much faster and quite dependable to just go disk to
                        disk.

                        At one point in time I even had the Win98 CD on an old 500MB drive and I
                        just put it in to use to install Windows on a new drive. It is a lot faster
                        than a CDROM. :-)

                        BTW You can copy all files over and then reload Windows and it will rebuild
                        your registry and add all registerable files for you and you can basically
                        have a clone of your old drive in no time. Unfortunaltely you still have to
                        arrange your desktop and copy your .pwd and .pwl files over again after
                        reloading windows.

                        Regards,

                        Jim

                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 17, 2001
                          Hi Jim,

                          Thanks for the tips. I think some Clips could come in handy too.
                          I won't be doing Windows and programs that use files outside
                          their structure because I want it all clean. I know I must have
                          a lot of registry entries and dll's that I don't use. (I have
                          utilities to clean it up, but they are not perfect.

                          >> > I still think my best bet is to crank up this drive, actually
                          >> > two, on the other machine and just drag/drop what I want.
                          >

                          >Personnally I do it this way myself because it is so much easier
                          >and faster.
                          >
                          >Mostly it is very straight forward and most files copy across
                          >with no problems.
                          >
                          >BUT, there is a small problem here that one wants to pay
                          >attention to in 2 areas.
                          >
                          >1. You want to drag and drop with the RIGHT MOUSE BUTTON, and
                          >select Copy Here. Else you can end up with a lot of shortcuts
                          >that you didn't want (for.exe files). It isn't supposed to do
                          >that, copying from drive to drive BUT.....
                          >
                          >2. Although it is slower, it is a good idea to transfer small
                          >groups at a time and start at the top and copy one directory at a
                          >time. One file in a subdirectory in the directory that can't be
                          >copied stops the whole process, and it doesn't necessarily copy
                          >files in alphabetical order.
                          >
                          >When it screws up you have to try to figure out what didn't get
                          >copied and select the rest and compare the number of files in
                          >each dir etc.
                          >
                          >Usually when it screws up, it is due to contaminated files,
                          >overly long file names, or files currently in use.
                          >
                          >Normally I Delete what I just copied last and break it down into
                          >smaller increments and copy a little at a time.
                          >
                          >All in all though it is much faster and quite dependable to just
                          >go disk to disk.
                          >
                          >At one point in time I even had the Win98 CD on an old 500MB
                          >drive and I just put it in to use to install Windows on a new
                          >drive. It is a lot faster than a CDROM. :-)
                          >
                          >BTW You can copy all files over and then reload Windows and it
                          >will rebuild your registry and add all registerable files for you
                          >and you can basically have a clone of your old drive in no time.
                          >Unfortunaltely you still have to arrange your desktop and copy your .pwd and .pwl files over again after
                          >reloading windows.
                          >

                          >Regards,
                          >
                          >Jim

                          Thanks!
                          Jody

                          Clean-Funnies: click and send...
                          mailto:c-f@...?subject=Subscribe
                        • Alec Burgess
                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 18, 2001
                            One more on the Directory Sizes issue: (from a recent Lockergnome
                            newsletter)
                            --------
                            DirGraph v1.3.1 [3k] W9x/NT/2k FREE {Eyeball your disk inventory} How much
                            space is that new folder taking up, anyway? As they say: "a graphical
                            representation is worth a thousand words." Now you can see just how much
                            space is on your hard drive, and which programs are taking up the biggest
                            chunk of your system's resources. Hmmm... perhaps I shouldn't have
                            downloaded fifty different versions of Solitaire after all? Dig even deeper
                            by clicking on a section to examine it closer. You can also query more than
                            one drive at a time. "It also supports color coding its display by file
                            dates, so you can see at a glance how much of the space used is occupied by
                            files that haven't been access for an age ."
                            http://www.spillett.net/dirgraph/DirGraph.zip <-download
                            http://www.spillett.net/dirgraph/ <-description
                            http://screenshot.lockergnome.com/dirgraph.png <-screenshot
                            -------
                            This one has a neat graphical picture of where space is being used and can
                            be used to spot forgotten folder trees that are just wasting space. It can
                            be added to the normal rContext menu for folders.

                            I use the FolderSize Properties shell-extension to periodically capture an
                            exploded drive tree or before a significant download. By using Norton's
                            Ncompare program in diff's only mode you can spot anomalies (eg. someone
                            trying to sneak in sypware or folders that are growing "too" fast)
                          • Marcus
                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 21, 2001
                              On 18.08.01 at 16:40 Alec Burgess wrote:
                              > By using Norton's
                              >Ncompare program in diff's only mode you can spot anomalies (eg.
                              someone
                              >trying to sneak in sypware or folders that are growing "too" fast)

                              Where is Ncompare to be found?
                              Is it part of a larger package?

                              Marcus
                            • Mars Descent
                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 21, 2001
                                At 06:37 AM 8/21/01, you wrote:
                                >On 18.08.01 at 16:40 Alec Burgess wrote:
                                >> By using Norton's
                                >>Ncompare program in diff's only mode you can spot anomalies (eg.
                                >someone
                                >>trying to sneak in sypware or folders that are growing "too" fast)
                                >
                                >Where is Ncompare to be found?
                                >Is it part of a larger package?

                                Norton Utilities.

                                I hated it. It was pathetic. IMO. My Norton trial expired of
                                course. You kept having to click *TRY* all the time every time you ran
                                it. You could compare two files. I can't remember what was real limiting
                                about it now, but it didn't seem like it would let me do much at all.

                                I can't see what Norton helps, except system bloat. And adding more icons
                                to the desktop and lower tray.