Re: [NTO] Foreign Words and Phrases

  • Dr. Paul Harder
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 10, 2001
      On Fri, 10 Aug 2001 18:56:33 -0400, you wrote:

      > Does anyone know of a search engine that will accept a foreign word or
      > phrase and return the English translation? I'm also looking for a similar
      > site that will accept English words or short phrases and translate them into
      > a specified language.

      What you want is not a search engine, but an automated translation
      service. That said, one of the better free translation services is
      offered by a search engine company:

      http://babelfish.altavista.com/

      If you don't know where the site's name comes from, you probably never
      read Douglas Adams' book "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy". Which
      means that you probably don't even know why you need to have a towel
      handy at all times... <chortle>

      Paul

      Dr. Paul Harder Houston, Texas, USA pharder@...
    • alice ttlg
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 10, 2001
        > If you don't know where the site's name comes from, you probably never
        > read Douglas Adams' book "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy". Which
        > means that you probably don't even know why you need to have a towel
        > handy at all times... <chortle>
        >
        > Paul

        The answer is 42.

        :-)

        alice ttlg

        http://www.populli.net/
        You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I
        things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I take
        great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe. --
        Marcus Cole, B5
      • Ray Shapp
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 11, 2001
          Dr. Paul,

          Thanks for the URL. You're right about my not having read The Hitchhiker's
          guide. I'll put it on my list.

          Thanks again.

          Ray Shapp
          Watchung, NJ