Foreign Words and Phrases

  • Ray Shapp
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 10, 2001
      Hi All,

      Does anyone know of a search engine that will accept a foreign word or
      phrase and return the English translation? I'm also looking for a similar
      site that will accept English words or short phrases and translate them into
      a specified language.

      Please excuse my chauvinism when I refer to non-English as being "foreign".

      Thank you for the help,

      Ray Shapp
      Watchung, NJ
    • Dr. Paul Harder
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 10, 2001
        On Fri, 10 Aug 2001 18:56:33 -0400, you wrote:

        > Does anyone know of a search engine that will accept a foreign word or
        > phrase and return the English translation? I'm also looking for a similar
        > site that will accept English words or short phrases and translate them into
        > a specified language.

        What you want is not a search engine, but an automated translation
        service. That said, one of the better free translation services is
        offered by a search engine company:

        http://babelfish.altavista.com/

        If you don't know where the site's name comes from, you probably never
        read Douglas Adams' book "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy". Which
        means that you probably don't even know why you need to have a towel
        handy at all times... <chortle>

        Paul

        Dr. Paul Harder Houston, Texas, USA pharder@...
      • alice ttlg
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 10, 2001
          > If you don't know where the site's name comes from, you probably never
          > read Douglas Adams' book "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy". Which
          > means that you probably don't even know why you need to have a towel
          > handy at all times... <chortle>
          >
          > Paul

          The answer is 42.

          :-)

          alice ttlg

          http://www.populli.net/
          You know, I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I
          things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I take
          great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe. --
          Marcus Cole, B5
        • Ray Shapp
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 11, 2001
            Dr. Paul,

            Thanks for the URL. You're right about my not having read The Hitchhiker's
            guide. I'll put it on my list.

            Thanks again.

            Ray Shapp
            Watchung, NJ