Re: [NTO] viruses

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 4, 2001
      Hi Len,

      I have been getting hit with 50-100 of them a day from my Fookes
      Software support addresses. As you might think, a number of
      people have the addresses in their addressbook... For quite
      awhile I would download headers only and delete the ones that had
      the worm attached. I do not get to many now. I suspect they are
      being deleted at the server level so the Internet is not bogged
      down as much, but I still notice a long period of downloading. I
      had a reply ready to go for all the ones that were infected which
      might be part of why is has slowed down tremendously after the
      first two weeks.

      >I am passing this along for anyone that is not aware of the problem.
      >
      >Regards, Len Hargrove
      >
      >As you may have already heard, there are two new viruses circulating
      >on the Internet. They are known as W32.Sircam.Worm@mm and the
      >Code Red Worm. As a significant proportion of both our ISP and
      >software customer's machines have been infected, I wanted to both
      >warn you and provide a remedy. You might have recently noticed
      >messages in your Inbox with random subjects, strange attachments
      >and body text that reads (something like):
      >
      > Hi! How are you?
      >
      > I send you this file in order to have your advice
      >
      > See you later. Thanks
      >
      >This message is sent from a computer infected with the Worm called
      >W32.Sircam.Worm@mm. It is difficult to tell if your PC is infected with
      >the virus because of the way it was created. However, you can be
      >sure that the person who sent the e-mail is infected. (You might want
      >to forward this message back to them.) Protect yourself now by getting
      >a copy of Norton AntiVirus - the world's leading anti-virus software at
      >DownloadStore.com.
      >
      >http://www.downloadstore.com/w32sircam.html
      >
      >The Code Red Worm is different from the W32.Sircam.Worm@mm Worm.
      >It only affects computers running Microsoft's Internet Information Server
      >(IIS) Web server software on Windows NT or Windows 2000. You can
      >also protect yourself from this virus by going to:
      >
      >http://www.downloadstore.com/codered.html

    • Marco Bernardini
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 6, 2001

        Alle 16.24 Saturday 04/08/2001 -0500, Jody ha mandato a Marco questo messaggio:

        >Hi Len,
        >
        >I have been getting hit with 50-100 of them a day from my Fookes
        >Software support addresses. As you might think, a number of
        >people have the addresses in their addressbook...

        I guess some virii can get addresses from cache, too...
        I receive infected messages from a lot of unknown people.

        > For quite
        >awhile I would download headers only and delete the ones that had
        >the worm attached. I do not get to many now. I suspect they are
        >being deleted at the server level so the Internet is not bogged
        >down as much, but I still notice a long period of downloading.

        Suggestion for everybody: if your provider don't filter the mail you can
        check it on the web before to download...

        Bye

        Marco Bernardini